Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, Centerfire has the Mak90 kits for $100. I've always liked the look of the MAK90 and would like to build one. However this kit does not include trunions since it apparently had a milled receiver.

If I really wanted to build this on a sheet metal receiver, could I use the $54.99 Chinese barrel trunion and the $22.99 rear trunion from Globaltrades?

I know this is a little expensive but it would be a fun project.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Pigseye

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
The milled kits are *usually* threaded barrels meaning lathe work to take the threads off. Then use like normal, and buy a cheap trunion that comes iwth the K-Var spare parts (the $15 job). Buy a cheap rear trunion & US furniture (since you need a buttstock anyway) and a trigger guard.

Not the cheapest, but would be doable. May be better kits out there to build from for that "classic AK look". I'd consider the Romanian kits for $100 from IO or one of the others. OR buy an AMD-65 kit and (optionally) a Romanian barrel from gunsnstuff for $50. $50+$80 and you have a basic AK kit. Then just work on the additional parts...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi HC,
For this build I really want that MAK90 look. So I'm hoping to use as many original parts as possible to maintain the look but build it on a sheetmetal receiver with the proper compliance parts.

Also if I lathe off the threads, doesn't the barrel get to small to fit in a euro trunion?

I really don't know how the milled receiver parts look or work, so maybe I'm totally clueless.

Any help is appreciated. But photos or drawing really help a guy like me.

Thanks,
Pigseye

·
Registered
72 Posts
hcpookie, thanks for the romanian barrel idea, i have a couple amd 65 kits and i wanted to build a rifle but hate the look of the extension or extended brake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts