Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These folks are serious. I believe they are in Scotland. I know that it hurts to lose someone to sensless violence but they are not thinking this through.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3879841

'Make Knives Equal Guns' Say Stabbing Families

By Rachel Williams, PA

Families of stabbing victims will launch a campaign today calling on the Government to make carrying a knife as serious as carrying a gun.

The group, which includes Damilola Taylor?s father, will demand that ministers introduce a five-year minimum jail term for carrying an object with a blade longer than three inches, which would equalise the penalties for knives and guns.

They also want to see a six month minimum jail term for carrying a blade shorter than three inches, or three months for juveniles.

Other relatives expected at the launch of the Knives Destroy Lives campaign include Paul and Jane Walmsley, parents of 14-year-old Luke Walmsley, who was stabbed in a school corridor in November last year.

The parents of architect Bernard Hegarty, 29, who was fatally stabbed in the street in Bethnal Green, east London, in August, while out shopping for his new flat, are also expected.

The family members will hand in a letter to Prime Minister Tony Blair at Downing Street as part of the launch.

Mr Walmsley said the current knife laws were a ?sick joke?. Mr Taylor, whose ten-year-old son was killed in London in 2000, said they have ?no effect at all?.

The Government has to realise ?enough was enough?, he added.

The campaign comes after anti-knife campaigners yesterday attacked Government plans to ban under 18s from buying blades as ?too little, too late?.

The Victims of Crime Trust accused Home Secretary David Blunkett of ?hijacking? genuine concerns from the relatives of loved ones stabbed to death on Britain?s streets.

Mr Blunkett wants to raise the age at which youngsters can buy knives from 16 to 18, and has pledged to do everything in his power to end the menace.

He will use talks with police chiefs on Wednesday to unveil plans to hold consultations over the change, but senior Home Office sources said he was almost certain to push ahead with it.

But Victims of Crime director Norman Brennan said the Home Secretary had ?stolen proposals?, and that raising the age limit would have little effect.

?Never in 26 years as a serving officer have I known the fear of crime to be so great,? Mr Brennan said.

?Increasing the age when people can buy knives from 16 to 18 is like a hot dog without the sausage, full of hot air and no substance.

?This is far too little, far too late. It is the second time a government minister has stolen proposals being put forward by people with very genuine concerns.?

A Home Office spokeswoman said the issue was not recent and was already the subject of ongoing analysis of knife-related crime and what action could be taken.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Rob Roy is probably rolling over in his grave.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Actually, I don't know that this is as weird as it sounds. I think in most states carrying an illegally-concealed firearm or carrying an illegally-concealed dirk, dagger, or knife with a blade above a specified length results in precisely the same charge: A concealed weapon charge.

Although I saw nothing in the article that spoke to a key element: Concealed. Are they going to bust trout fishermen in Scotland now for carrying knives?

And the age limit seems a bit odd, given that the best place for a kid to get a big knife is in the kitchen at home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How do you argue with stupidity ?

Make the law abiding totally unarmed !

1. Criminals A-R-E , of course , going to obey this law...

2. I'll bet you'll be just as dead with a 3" blade as a 6" or 12" blade , heck gimme some practice time and I'll do it with a 1" blade !

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
"They also want to see a six month minimum jail term for carrying a blade shorter than three inches, or three months for juveniles."

I guess the Case knife I have in my pocket right now would be a vioation. 6 months jail term.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Triangle 66 said:
How do you argue with stupidity ?

Make the law abiding totally unarmed !

1. Criminals A-R-E , of course , going to obey this law...

2. I'll bet you'll be just as dead with a 3" blade as a 6" or 12" blade , heck gimme some practice time and I'll do it with a 1" blade !

Yep, 3,000 dead on 9/11 as a result of a few nutty Arabs with boxcutters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A small diameter philips head screwdriver will do the trick too, better ban screwdrivers while they're at it. Next up - baseball bats. :rolleyes: Stupid f'ing inbred mo-rons.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wonder if my Air Soft knife is at risk????????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts