Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my favorite sports and both often overlooked or even eliminated at the high school and college level.

And the Heisman Goes to ... Rifle Shooting Star and Talented Wrestler?
Friday December 10, 9:00 pm ET
Seniors Recognized With Wendy's High School Heisman Award at Eleventh Annual Award Ceremony

NEW YORK, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- It's not just about football this season. Sports like rifle shooting and wrestling are being recognized as well. In this competition, brawn is matched with brains.
As high school seniors, Brenna Brucker of Bethel Park, Pa. and Andrew Bratten of Salisbury, Md., have seemingly little in common. One is an MVP rifle shooter and cross-country runner, TV host and patent-pending orthotic developer. The other is in the top one percent of his class, a five-sport athlete and former NASA intern. Put them together and you have a combined GPA of 9.04 and this year's Wendy's High School Heisman National Winners.

The pair were selected from 12 national finalists.

"We're excited to welcome Brenna and Andrew into the Wendy's High School Heisman family -- a community of young adults that embody exceptional drive, character and commitment," said Tom Mueller, president and chief operating officer of Wendy's North America.

The selection of Brucker, from Bethel Park High School, and Bratten, from James M. Bennett High School, was announced this evening at the 11th annual awards ceremony at the Hilton New York. The taped ceremony will air on ESPN2 Sunday (Dec. 12) at 6:30 p.m. EST.

Honored for their leadership in academics, athletics and community service, this year's winners will join an elite group of 20 previous recipients. As part of their awards, the two received an all-expense paid trip to New York with their families and fellow national finalists, crystal Wendy's High School Heisman trophies and a $3,500 donation for their high schools.

"These students were selected as national winners from nearly 15,000 nominees because of their dedicated leadership and all-around success," said Archie Griffin, two-time Collegiate Heisman Trophy winner and Wendy's High School Heisman program spokesperson. "They have learned to compete at every level, which will serve them well in life."

The Wendy's High School Heisman Award -- created in 1994 by Wendy's through a partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) and the Heisman Memorial Trust -- recognizes high-school seniors nationwide who excel athletically, academically and within their community. Principals, teachers, guidance counselors and coaches from high schools nationwide are asked to nominate a male and a female student for the award. The winners are selected after an extensive judging process conducted at state and national levels.

Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers was founded in 1969 by Dave Thomas and is the third-largest quick-service hamburger chain in the world with more than 6,500 restaurants in North America and international markets.

The National Association of Secondary School Principals -- the preeminent organization and the national voice for middle level and high school principals, assistant principals and aspiring school leaders -- provides its members the professional resources to serve as visionary leaders. For additional information, please see http://www.principals.org .

2004 Wendy's High School Heisman National Finalists

Name Gender High School City State
Joy Kessler F Seneca East High School Republic OH
Kyle Cayton M South Webster High School South Webster OH
Kaitlin Daley F Canaan Memorial High School Canaan VT
Max Levine M Poland Regional High School Poland ME
Jared Huske M Highland Park High School Topeka KS
Danielle Zanotti F Mustang High School Mustang OK
Emily King F Moanalua High School Honolulu HI
Trevor Theriot M Newport Harbor High School Newport Beach CA
Brittany Lee F Christ Presbyterian Academy Franklin TN
Aaron Branham M East Ridge High School Lick Creek KY

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I never cared a whole lot for Big Macs or Whoppers anyhow. I too have always liked wresting. It gives a person a chance to be recognized individually as well as a team. I have a nephew who is currently involved in a legal battle to be on the wrestling team in his home town school. He was denied the right to participate because he is home-schooled. His parents won a temporary injunction for him to join the team, and the matter is now pending trial before the WV Supreme Court.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Preacher said:
I never cared a whole lot for Big Macs or Whoppers anyhow. I too have always liked wresting. It gives a person a chance to be recognized individually as well as a team. I have a nephew who is currently involved in a legal battle to be on the wrestling team in his home town school. He was denied the right to participate because he is home-schooled. His parents won a temporary injunction for him to join the team, and the matter is now pending trial before the WV Supreme Court.
I can't believe that. It is getting tougher to field a complete squad in so many schools these days.

Why on earth fight a boy who wants to wrestle when it seems all too many boys only want to watch cable, play video games and surf the net.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Custer said:
I can't believe that. It is getting tougher to field a complete squad in so many schools these days.

Why on earth fight a boy who wants to wrestle when it seems all too many boys only want to watch cable, play video games and surf the net.
Basically it's the WVSSAC(West Virginia Secondary Schools Activities Commission) that raising the fuss. They're in control of all state sporting events of the 6th grade and above. The local coach welcomed my nephew but caught flack from the big shots. The real kicker is that the county board of education could override the SSAC but doesn't have the backbone to do so.

My brother won a temporary injuction, then again in circuit court. Now the SSAC has appealed so it's going to Supreme court.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to here this.

Lynch is a home school parent and maybe he can weigh in on how this works in Ohio.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
There are many states that accept this as normal. Actually, there are pretty strict rules in place to keep the parents from giving an unfair grade. Here in WV, you have two options.

Option #1: Portfolio Review. The students work is examined by a state certified teacher and then graded accordingly.

Option #2: The student takes a standardized test at the end of the year and has to score above a certain percentile to be eligible for home-school status the next year.

Their argument is that an athlete who is not passing could drop out of public school, transfer to home-school status and still be eligible for sports. I can see where that could be a problem, but they could easily solve it by making anyone who transfers ineligible for a certain amount of time. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I quit eating Wendy's after the time I got projectile-vomiting, hershey-squirting, high fever food poisoning from them.

It was the one on Sleater-Kinney in Lacey, Wa.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
I quit eating Wendy's after the time I got projectile-vomiting, hershey-squirting, high fever food poisoning from them.

It was the one on Sleater-Kinney in Lacey, Wa.
I wondered what Wash. state did with "roadkill"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts