Gunco Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marine Kills Insurgent; media horrified! ((UPDATED))

I continue to watch, with growing disgust, the media scorn over the alleged shooting of a (maybe still alive) iraqi "insurgent" in falluja last weekend. This is not exactly news that this kind of crap happens, and has been happening since the beginning of time. I'm disgusted with the juvenile hopping-up-and-down, fingerpointing, tattling attitude of our media over this. This is not a friggin' high school friday night football game, it's a war. In fact, it's one of the nastiest, ugliest forms of warfare there is: urban warfare against irregular forces.
The day before the incident, the unit involved had a Marine killed when a dead insurgent's booby-trapped body exploded, and the individual involved in the shooting was wounded himself. There have been numerous incidents of insurgents playing dead only to come to life with deadly effect. Can you blame this Marine for making really, really sure this guy was dead?
No less an American hero as Audie Murphy admitting to taking "make sure" shots on German maybe-corpses. It's just a good idea, and tends to be added insurance against being the victim of a "take one with him" wounded fighter.
Unfortunately, the media is making it look like he was just running around killing wounded folks for fun, and giving the US another black eye with the Arab media and man in the street.
Here in the next day or so, I'll be posting the snail-mail address of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and I (and, i hope, some of our members as well) will be writing him a personal letter defending the Marine being charged with this bullshit.
Abu Ghraib was inexcusable, and the people responsible should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. This is something entirely different.

((UPDATED))
The snail mail address for the Commandant of the Marine Corps is:
Commandant of the Marine Corps,
Office of the Commandant,
Headquarters Marine Corps,
2 Navy Annex,
Washington, DC, 20380-1775

His name is General Michael Hagee, and he is addressed as "Commandant"

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd be happy to send a brief letter of support. I agree the media made a mess of what I'm sure is common practice. These loose-knit "insurgents" aren't exactly good POW candidates. They can't be used as a bargaining tool as no one is going to step up and "claim" them. They're terrorists, sworn to wage Jihad against the Coalition forces, not exactly the kind of folks who might be willing to sacrifice key information for their lives. Their faith is in this whole "martyrdom" nonsense...

BTW, great sig line! I love that flick!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
LMAO about the thread title! Need anything else be said? :lol:

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
I would be happy to write a letter also. I disagree with CammoBunkers opinion about prison fiasko. IF they can behead ppl I think it fine for us to make them rub their ****-phobic wieners together! But anyway post the addy and I will voice my support and will be super sure to use spell check;) :troops:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
one more letter on the way , just post the address.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I say we send this camera guy and even a few of thies media traders over to the other side. A lot of people begged for their lives as their heads were slowly hacked off. Maby one of the media jackasses could talk his way out of it, by saying to the guy he is a bad man. or telling him he will get in trouble if he finishes the cutting. I do not think the other side gives a crap about public opinion or legalities. they have real guns what the fu-- dose the media want our guys to have paint ball.
yes now I am convinced even more . send thies TRADERS rite ofer to the guys they defend,,,, see how they like them up close, or how long before they are begging for their lives. TRADERS is what they are .. if anyone is defending the other side even with words they are traders to our boys.

·
Registered
625 Posts
?hotbarrel? we can see by your post that your pissed, your misspellings became more numerous as you progressed. I just wanted to say that it got your point across in a way you didn?t think of, it shows real emotion and anger as well as anything you said. Anger isn?t a strong enough word to describe our feelings about the media. Besides the crap they?ve pulled over the last few months trying to screw Bush and all of America, they now want to defame our soldiers. They are the same soldiers that are defending the media?s freedom to even publish the lies they print without being beheaded. (As they would have been before our men arrived in the very country we now are fighting in.) I agree we should give these newsmen over to the enemy and see if they still think they are such heroes after they cover the beheading of some innocent truck driver or office worker. And will they follow them into combat and show how they place booby traps on the dead and wounded? I bet not! It makes me think back to Viet Nam and how the media treated our men. I remember how they created the ?Baby killer? image of our men and twisted the nations view of their own son?s and brothers. The Viet Nam veteran was portrayed as crazy or a drug user for years in movies and TV. The media lied so as to create an image that would make headlines and keep Hollywood in movie scripts for years too come. It?s no wonder these men had a hard time after returning to the world. They had to overcome the lies of the media and other leftist?s like John Kerry and his group. AND NO I CAN?T FORGIVE KERRY; he should be in jail for his betrayal of America and her soldiers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't know If I can say what I want in the proper perspective but very well said Old Gunner. This past election year is one I'll never forget and some involved will never be forgiven by me. Interesting perspective regarding the media, Vietnam, this war and that war, along with a political campaign.

I watched an interview with Mr. Kennedy...errr, Kerry yesterday. He almost spoke well of the entire campaign until he said he felt the Bush campaign did a good job except for the fact that they "sadly enough,ran a very negative campaign in my opinion". The Kerry campaign was the first to sling mud, the Kerry campaign was the only campaign to try to draw a parallel between Vietnam and the War on Terror. They were the only campaign to attempt to put a Vietnam service record in the mix. Evil-doers? I call 'em Kennedy's. (Did you notice the horrible grimace on "Terrible Ted's" face prior to and during the Kerry concession speech?)

I support our guys and gals abroad wholeheartedly. There's nothing in this world that would, could, or can change that. I saw the evil that came to visit on 9/11/01 and there is so much more at stake than most of the world will --or is able to-- acknowledge, that matters more to me. I (we) have freedoms unknown to the bulk of the world population. The liberals have lost me, no matter how liberal some of my views may be, I cannot and will not support them in any way. I bum when the media reports the campaign was won by the vote of the Christian Right Wingers as myself I'm not a Christian and most sincerely doubt I ever will be. I'm not a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist either. I'm an American, a citizen f the United States who has a Constitution and Bill of Rights that allows me to be whoever I want to be and believe whatever I choose to as a free man. I'll stand up for those privledges anywhere, anytime.

A brief look at the numbers tells the tale, Kerry lost. The media chooses to play it off as some "heartland Christianity" movement that held JFKII back. Truth be known, add up the numbers from the NRA/GOA/and JPFOlong with the conservative non-believers and this past election had more to do with facts, trust and just plain decent values more than anyone's particular faith. Hard for some hard-core religious folk to swallow but those of us who don't share their beliefs are often their closest allies.

As usual, the media slants the average sheep's opinion in their direction. It's as evil as evil gets. To a point it's abusive but if those abused know no better...

I won't edit from my initial post, to a point I've enjoyed the reports from the "embedded media". Not for blood-lust and certainly not because I trust them but because they were bringing the real story home. I had hoped some of the sheep who wanted to compare this war with Vietnam would see it for the reality it is. Sadly enough, it seems they would rather feed on the Kerryism "quagmire" mentality. I'm all for free speech and freedom of the press but when it picks and chooses to slant the opinion towards their liberal agenda, especially with their bitterness after losing a Presidential election, F*ck 'em! To tell them to grow up is a day late and a dollar short. All I have left to say is if these embedded reporters cost one life--or one limb, I'm now completely against them. Obviously they're victims of the "fast food war" mentality and have no comprehension of what exactly it is that they're covering.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the Marine was doing what he should have done. He was protecting himself and his squad from a guy playing dead possibly setting off an explosive devise. The insurgent put himself in that position when he used a religious building as a place to hide while shooting at American soldiers. I've called the office of both of my US senators and advised them I wanted that soldier protected from being made a scapegoat in order to appease the Iraqis.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo said:
As far as I'm concerned, the Marine was doing what he should have done. He was protecting himself and his squad from a guy playing dead possibly setting off an explosive devise. The insurgent put himself in that position when he used a religious building as a place to hide while shooting at American soldiers. I've called the office of both of my US senators and advised them I wanted that soldier protected from being made a scapegoat in order to appease the Iraqis.
That is a great idea. I am going to do the same.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech and freedom of press. But I believe it goes a little to far when what you say or what you report on endangers the life or lives of someone else. This is where common sense should kick in, but unfortunately that boat left us long ago when it comes to the majority of the media. I think what this reporter has done will greatly affect what some of our soldiers will do. Some of them may become afraid to defend themselves because of the negative publicity. I hope this is not the case, but I can easily see how it might make some of them hesitate, and in this case hesitation can get you killed. I think this is overstepping the boundaries of freedom of the press because it endangers our troops. Like I said on another post, we lost a Marine from our town. Anybody that says our troops are overstepping the line will get told off in a hurry.

Now this brings me to Evil, I'd class myself as a Hardcore Religious Fanatic, but I agree with a lot of what you've had to say here and other post. Don't think of me as an adversary as I didn't take any offense to your post. Even Jesus said that there would be wars and rumors of wars and that these things needed to be. If he said it, there's got to be something to it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
We have a local boy who has been missing/abducted for many months now. We all fear the worst but hold out hope that he was not executed. His name is Matt Maupin.

It frosts my butt when I hear the media focus on the death of some crazed insurgent and only our local media report on Matt's family and the efforts to locate him.

The shooting took place in combat before the area was secured. I don't understand how that is so difficult to understand.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Matt will be remembered in our prayers Custer.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have added the address to my original post. Now get to typing folks!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Thanks cammo, I'm typing as we speak

1 - 19 of 19 Posts