Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
marsh hawk receivers..yeah or nay? I parked the ace arms weld up until I buy a tig. I need an easy build for my first one to gain some experience and confidence. would a marsh hawk screw job be about the easiest?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I bought his $90 receiver "kit" and it was nice! The template was already attached attached and I checked out all the hole locations and they were right on with a receiver drawing. After cutting all the openings, drilling all the holes, and the "fine tuning" of the rails, the rifles is the slickest operating AK I have ever seen.

The other thing about March Hawk is the instructions that came with kit was EXCELLENT!!! Also, the "kit" had the lower rails, and the proper screws for the build. He is also available to talk with if you have problems. I will be ordering another one from him in about 1 week as an elderly friend of mine wants to build one and he will come to my home and I will assist him with info on the build as we work together.

Do not hesitate to order from Marsh Hawk!!

Abwehr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
screw it!

thanks guys! I'm ordering a marsh hawk screw receiver tomorrow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Well, I didn't wait my week to buy another receiver "kit" from Marsh Hawk; I ordered it this morning.

prophet, you will be very pleased with the "kit" that you get and the instructions will make it easy. On my first build, I did a lot of reading on this fine Forum, read the instruction from Marsh Hawk very closely, and planned the build. The one important thing to remember is to measure, check, and measure again before making any cuts. I used my Dremel Tool and drill press for most of the work. When cutting with the Dremel, cut a little shy of the finish dimension and use a file to finish it off. My magazines opening and the lower rails which support the magazine is finished filed to a close fit. The magazine slides in & out easily, and there is no wobble! Measure and check each step before making the cut and you will have a nice build.

BTW, I polished the top and lower rails and the action is the slickest I have ever felt. My first build took me approx. 18 hours from start to finish. I took my time and made sure of every cut first. I hope my next build will only take me about 12 hours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
I don't get it.
They get $60 for a bent blank and a template.

The Ace bent blank and template is less than half of that ($29.95)

The "kit" is even more outrageous, they add a set of rails ($20) and the screws ($5) and charge $90
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
7.62x39,

Yea, I understand where you are coming from on the cost, but when I was building my first AK, Marsh Hawk had everything I needed with one purchase, the template attached, and the great step by step instructions. The instructions are even better than the one on the ACE website.

Never having build one before, just having all the components needed gave me a little extra security. Plus, if I ran into a problem, I could call for help. Fortunantly, I followed the instructions and the build turned out perfectly.

If I had bought the ACE blank at $30, the rails from someone for $12 (???), the screws at the hardware store for $6, and the ACE Ploted template at $8 (???), shipping from ACE at $6, and shipping for the lower rails from someone at $5; that would be a total of approx. $70. For a first build, the instructions were worth the other $20 in my opinion and I had one call, not several

I do not disagree that the cost may be a little higher than another route, but it worked for me. I look at overall value to me rather than the bottom line. Hope this explains my reasoning even at a higher cost to me.

Abwehr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Abwehr said:
7.62x39,

Yea, I understand where you are coming from on the cost, but when I was building my first AK, Marsh Hawk had everything I needed with one purchase, the template attached, and the great step by step instructions. The instructions are even better than the one on the ACE website.

Never having build one before, just having all the components needed gave me a little extra security. Plus, if I ran into a problem, I could call for help. Fortunantly, I followed the instructions and the build turned out perfectly.

If I had bought the ACE blank at $30, the rails from someone for $12 (???), the screws at the hardware store for $6, and the ACE Ploted template at $8 (???), shipping from ACE at $6, and shipping for the lower rails from someone at $5; that would be a total of approx. $70. For a first build, the instructions were worth the other $20 in my opinion and I had one call, not several

I do not disagree that the cost may be a little higher than another route, but it worked for me. I look at overall value to me rather than the bottom line. Hope this explains my reasoning even at a higher cost to me.



Abwehr
Abewhr,

You can download the template for free on this website and glue on with just about anything. Buy a cheap piece of metal tubing and cut out your rails yourself with a template downloaded here. This would save you quite a bit of money if you went the ACE route.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
Abwehr said:
7.62x39,
The instructions are even better than the one on the ACE website
Abwehr
You really know how to hurt a guy :)
I made the tutorial that Ace is using on their website.



"Plus, if I ran into a problem, I could call for help"
That's what we're here for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,413 Posts
Guys,

I'll add my .02 here also. Any good Mom&Pop hardware store in your town will have all the bolts and screws too. I know some of you order the various screw kits from vendors because your local hardware store is 40 miles away and it's easier to get them in the mail.

For $18 I could get enough screws to do 6 AK kits. Lucky for me my hardware store is 5 mins away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
Here's another alternative for hardware.



AK47 or AMD65 Bolt kits for sale

I have put together some kits to bolt together the AK47 and AMD variants that are being sold all over the place nowdays, I have had to do some special odering and bought a large quantity of these for my own use and now can sell them.
The kits consist of:
6 10-32X1/4 grade 8 bolts for the front trunion (spec order)
4 10-32X3/8 for the rear trunion
5 8-32 bolts for the trigger guard
5 small nuts for inside the receiver (spec order)

20 pcs. for 6.99 plus 1.00 S&H and I will take paypal, just e-mail me if you are interested. This includes instructions on how to put the AK's together.
E-bay has pulled my auctions and one person asked me to post this here, I also sell on gunbroker.

Thank you.
[email protected]

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
7.62x39 said:
I don't get it.
They get $60 for a bent blank and a template.

The Ace bent blank and template is less than half of that ($29.95)

The "kit" is even more outrageous, they add a set of rails ($20) and the screws ($5) and charge $90
Thats a lot to pay for "conveinence" :dunno: !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yugo

guys; I didn't mean to stir up any crap by bringing up marsh hawk.I initially ordered a 'flat' from joeken, I got it. no directins,no template,nada. I set looking at this thing for about 10 min. and decided I didn,t have a clue. I ordered a weld pack, got it,no directions, no pictures,nada. I didn't have a clue.I started wearinout Winn R on and off the forum with dumb questions until I was too embarrassed to ask any more. and Winn r being the stand-up guy he is answered every question. the problem is guys, I'm a NEWBIE in the newbie lounge.I went to ace for the tutorial and it's a damn good one...for a stamped receiver. I couldn't find one for a weld up. the marsh comes with everything in one little pile. hopefully,since i'm good with my hands I'll get my amd65 built[ultimate goal] I guess I'll eat the extra 20 or 30 bucks to be able to get this first one finished. I know that some of you guy's can whittle a receiver out of an old yugo bumper and make it look like a silk purse. when 7.62x39 said 'just take some old tubing and cut it down to make some rails' I think he forgot he was talking to a newbie. maybe we need a preemie section for some of us.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Hey man-- don't sweat it.

I've stuck more money than that in a garter belt and all I got was a smile that wasn't even real.

Part of the game here is trying to minimize the dollars. It's perhaps a justification thing but folks get into it.

What works is what works for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
prophet said:
guys; I didn't mean to stir up any crap by bringing up marsh hawk.I initially ordered a 'flat' from joeken, I got it. no directins,no template,nada. I set looking at this thing for about 10 min. and decided I didn,t have a clue. I ordered a weld pack, got it,no directions, no pictures,nada. I didn't have a clue.I started wearinout Winn R on and off the forum with dumb questions until I was too embarrassed to ask any more. and Winn r being the stand-up guy he is answered every question. the problem is guys, I'm a NEWBIE in the newbie lounge.I went to ace for the tutorial and it's a damn good one...for a stamped receiver. I couldn't find one for a weld up. the marsh comes with everything in one little pile. hopefully,since i'm good with my hands I'll get my amd65 built[ultimate goal] I guess I'll eat the extra 20 or 30 bucks to be able to get this first one finished. I know that some of you guy's can whittle a receiver out of an old yugo bumper and make it look like a silk purse. when 7.62x39 said 'just take some old tubing and cut it down to make some rails' I think he forgot he was talking to a newbie. maybe we need a preemie section for some of us.
Prophet,

The guys here truly are a class act. I am a newbie here myself, although I've been pounding away at them for the last 3 or so months. I thought I was getting on there nerves by posting 2 to 3 questions a day, but they kept on coming with the answers...especially Winn...he's always got an answer to your question. I thought I was a nuisance, but Hotbarrel and Scubadvr encouraged me to keep pushing along with my questions. I think Winn is right. What works for you is what works for you. I, on the other hand, am on a very strict budget and try to minimize all costs. Glad to see you here...these guys will take care of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
prophet said:
guys; I didn't mean to stir up any crap by bringing up marsh hawk.I initially ordered a 'flat' from joeken, I got it. no directins,no template,nada. I set looking at this thing for about 10 min. and decided I didn,t have a clue. I ordered a weld pack, got it,no directions, no pictures,nada. I didn't have a clue.I started wearinout Winn R on and off the forum with dumb questions until I was too embarrassed to ask any more. and Winn r being the stand-up guy he is answered every question. the problem is guys, I'm a NEWBIE in the newbie lounge.I went to ace for the tutorial and it's a damn good one...for a stamped receiver. I couldn't find one for a weld up. the marsh comes with everything in one little pile. hopefully,since i'm good with my hands I'll get my amd65 built[ultimate goal] I guess I'll eat the extra 20 or 30 bucks to be able to get this first one finished. I know that some of you guy's can whittle a receiver out of an old yugo bumper and make it look like a silk purse. when 7.62x39 said 'just take some old tubing and cut it down to make some rails' I think he forgot he was talking to a newbie. maybe we need a preemie section for some of us.
I'm with you prophet. The instructions were good & at least there was instructions! Being my first build & a "ROOKIE" to these builds, I wanted everything at my fingertips.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
Prophet,

Please understand that nobody is saying your decision was wrong.
We just want to make sure that you realize that there are less expensive alternatives available to you.

I'm sure the marsh hawk is OK, I just think it's overpriced.

This board is not going to follow the path of the other forum, and dictate what companies can be discussed here.
Anyone who has ever tried to bring up K-var on the other forum, understands what I'm talking about.

I wish you had asked us about using a 3 pc weld up kit before you bought it, I'm sure you would have received several responses suggesting that a weld up kit might not be the best choice for your build, especially your first build.

It's no secret that I like Ace's products, I have used their bent blanks and template for several builds, each with great success, and firmly believe that as far as bent blanks go, they are the way to go.

They have also been a great supporter of this board, since day 1, offering our very first group buy here, on their receivers.

But that does not mean we can not discuss receivers made by other manufacturers here at gunco.
We do not delete threads and ban members, like the other forum, just because they mention a company that doesn't line our pockets.

If you are happy with the marsh hawk blank, then by all means, use it, you do not have to defend your decision here.

Smell that? It's the smell of freedom.

PS, no matter how good the instruction book is, it could never replace the knowledge bank you have available to you right here.
We may not be the biggest AK forum around, but I truly believe, we have the most knowledgeable and helpful Kalashnikov BUILDERS of any of them.
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
prophet said:
I started wearinout Winn R on and off the forum with dumb questions until I was too embarrassed to ask any more. and Winn r being the stand-up guy he is answered every question. the problem is guys, I'm a NEWBIE in the newbie lounge..
LOL, I can relate to asking too many questions, but these guys here are a great bunch that really want to help people in this hobby. I'm all for the free market and have nothing against Marsh Hawk products, as they are obviously filling a niche.
I know I did almost the exact same thing when I started - I bought flats (they are still flat) and then a weld pack(unfinished) and then I found 7.62's tutorial!!! After that I bought Ace and BentMetal blanks. I have spent the last 6-9 months buying parts and tools. I just want to see other new guys not have to make the same mistakes I made. Maybe Ace should put together a "everything you need" package for this market?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
to see other new guys not have to make the same mistakes I made.
Hey--Wish you guys were around when I was getting married the first time.... or the second.... or
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top