Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a baseball fan ? especially of the Atlanta Braves - so you might expect me to decry the evils of steroid use. Well, I don?t particularly care whether or not Gary Sheffield used steroids; he is still one of the most amazing athletes to ever step onto a diamond. Maybe athletes shouldn?t use anabolic steroids; maybe baseball should be purged of steroids ? but, that should be up to baseball.

Congress is threatening legislation to ban steroid use in professional baseball. Okay, let me dig out my copy of the Constitution??We the people???.etc., etc., ?Congress shall make no law???.. Nope, nothing in there granting government the power to dictate supplementation by professional athletes. In fact, that document is mostly comprised of limitations on government.

John McCain disagrees, ?government intervention if baseball owners and players don't agree on a stricter steroid-testing program?I threatened them last March, and they didn't do anything. I don't know what choice we have unless we act now.?

Contrast McCain?s statement with one by a true Republican, the man whose seat he now holds:

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' 'interests,' I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can. ? from The Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater

Those are words that can transform a party and win the hearts and minds of America. John McCain is no Barry Goldwater. Thank God we didn?t elect this would-be dictator president!

We live in a country where estrogen is essentially forced on a woman after a certain age, a woman can get testosterone to increase her libido and a man can get estrogen to make him more feminine - but if a man tries to increase his testosterone level, the DEA will knock down his door and send his doctor to jail! I smell the stench of radical feminism here. Maybe anabolic hormones are bad for you, maybe they are immoral ? I don?t know. I do know that government is meddling in matters where it has no place.

Earlier this year, our benevolent nanny state of a government moved to outlaw the hormonal precursors to natural testosterone commonly known as ?andros?. Last year, you could walk into nearly any vitamin store in the country, and buy andro products that would help your body produce peak levels of testosterone. These products were legal, safe and relatively cheap. Even though there is no documentation of anyone ever being harmed by such products, the FDA moved to ban them.

The full story of the andro ban can be found at www.t-mag.com, as well as information on alternative products that are still legal. This site is run by sports nutritionists, bio-chemists and doctors, most of whom are also body builders and power lifters. They know a bit more about the subject than the pasty and flaccid denizens of Capitol Hill.

Most of the people who read this column will never be directly affected by McCain?s meddling in professional baseball or the ban on andros, but we are all affected by government interference in the private sector. Whenever our government oversteps the bounds of our constitution, all liberty is at jeopardy. Is it too much to ask that before congress passes legislation, the sponsor of the bill should show where in our Constitution congress is authorized to do so?

Email Judson Cox:[email protected]

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
McCain is a disgrace to the GOP

·
Registered
45 Posts
Custer said:
I am a baseball fan ? especially of the Atlanta Braves - so you might expect me to decry the evils of steroid use. Well, I don?t particularly care whether or not Gary Sheffield used steroids; he is still one of the most amazing athletes to ever step onto a diamond. Maybe athletes shouldn?t use anabolic steroids; maybe baseball should be purged of steroids ? but, that should be up to baseball.
Custer, I don't care for McCain, despite the fact that as an Arizonan I've voted for him in every election, except this last one, but baseball needs a wake up call, and they need it now.

I'm also a baseball fan, it's actually the only professional sport I've ever followed, and I've been a fan for 40 years. Baseball MUST do something about the steroid issue and it must do it very soon. Baseball is a stat driven game, and steroid use, in the opinion of the majority of baseball fans, negates past records or renders them meaningless. Also, a player using drugs to excel, and don't let anyone tell you that steroids and HGH don't improve your game because they do, drags down the players that won't use them, and that's just wrong.

Also, aren't anabolic steroids a controlled substance? By law you need a doctors subscription to obtain and use them. Sheffield, Bonds, Giambi and the other users are breaking the law by using steroids. Are you trying to say that it should be up to baseball if their players are breaking the law or not?

The Major League Baseball Players Union is the strongest union in pro sports, and no matter what they say they'll fight steroid testing and punishment for users to the last drop of their cash, and they've got deep, deep pockets. Despite my recent dislike of McCain, baseball needs a kick in the rear to get them on the right path.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it is up to Congress to deal with this. Let baseball deal with it or not. It is their call if they want to risk what is left of the fan base.

It is grandstanding by the politicos. It is a business that employs 800 players?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Steroids will not make you a better ball player. It will not help you with your ball handling skills or your hand eye coordination, it will only make you stronger. You have to have the skills in the 1st place. I have no problem with the players union imposing restrictions but I have a real problem with McCain using it as an issue to get his mug in front of a camera. I also agree 100% with Custer about the prejudice against male hormones. The rest of the world has much less restrictions on steroids but they do ban some of the supplements we can buy over the counter. :dunno: I think this is a good indication that this is a decision for a patient and a Dr. and not someone in Washinton D.C..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Steroids will not make you a better ball player. It will not help you with your ball handling skills or your hand eye coordination, it will only make you stronger. You have to have the skills in the 1st place. I have no problem with the players union imposing restrictions but I have a real problem with McCain using it as an issue to get his mug in front of a camera. I also agree 100% with Custer about the prejudice against male hormones. The rest of the world has much less restrictions on steroids but they do ban some of the supplements we can buy over the counter. :dunno: I think this is a good indication that this is a decision for a patient and a Dr. and not someone in Washinton D.C..
So, being stronger and able to swing a heavier bat as fast, or a lighter one even faster, won't make you a better ballplayer? Being able to jump higher and run faster won't make you a better ballplayer?

HGH will improve eyesight, and improved eyesight won't make you a better ballplayer?

So tell me, was Bonds, Sheffield or Giambi diagnosed as being hormone deficient and proscribed steroids by a doctor?

I dont' want to see the goverment get involved either, but I also don't see anything wrong with a few well place threats to get baseball off it's lazy butt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Custer said:
I don't think it is up to Congress to deal with this. Let baseball deal with it or not. It is their call if they want to risk what is left of the fan base.

It is grandstanding by the politicos. It is a business that employs 800 players?
As long as fans go to the park the MLBPA will allow no real steroids testing and punishment for users. They need a kick in the rear and it looks like McCain, for whatever reasons, is going to give it to them.

So do you apply your standard of not allowing Congress to pass laws dealing with business to any other kinds of business? Should Congress allow the financial instutitions to clean up their act with no new laws also? How about elderly or child care? Or are we going to have one standard for pro sports and another for everything else?

Face it, the steroid users broke the law and should be punished by the law enforcement community, but that will never happen. Something's got to be done or baseball is going to become the laughing stock of sports. If Bonds or Sheffield were Olympic athletes they'd have their titles stripped and their names would be expunged from the record books and they'd be barred for life. In the MLB as it is now, nothing happens. What kind of message does that send to the kids in little league ball?

I hate to see the government get involved, but baseball won't do it without some overpowering reason.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is up to parents to properly explain to their kids why these guys should not be considered heroes. In fact, there are tons of celebrities and products where parental advice and control is the key not government involvement.

As far as Congressional enactments, I think we need to return to some semblance that we have a govenment structure of that is one of limited, enumerated powers. As a practical matter, I have seen very few things where regulatory schemes have solved anything.

I am not a big believer in the "do it for the children" mania. It justifies big government and the nanny state.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Didn't Congress grant Baseabll an anti trust exemption? And since they have undertaken to exempt this pastime special privledges, isn't there more oversight involved?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chromebolt said:
Didn't Congress grant Baseabll an anti trust exemption? And since they have undertaken to exempt this pastime special privledges, isn't there more oversight involved?
It all comes from a SCOTUS case many years ago that said something to the effect that baseball was not commerce. It was sport. I don't think that would be good law today.

It can get a bit complicated, but as long as the employers have unions and collective bargaining agreements, the employers (each team) can legally conspire with each other and the union on a lot of matters that would not otherwise be legal. Matters that would be anti trust vioations.

That is one reason why they might fight with the union, but they do not want the union to go away. You might recall the NFL union sort of died and the owners did not stay union free. They need one.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Congress should only become involved with laws on steroid use if it concerns the health of the country or it's citizens. But, shouldn't get involved in rules of baseball games, tiddly wink games, or rapping contests. All of that stuff is none of the governments business, and a waste of taxpayers money. I don't watch ball games and couldn't care less what some ball player does. If players are breaking drug laws, then treat them like anyone else breaking those laws - let the police handle it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like Pogo, I can accept drug testing for industries that can significantly affect safety such as CDL drivers or airline pilots.

I can not accept that the public is at risk when celebrities do foolish things. If something is illegal, let the current legal system deal with it. If not illeigal, it is up to the employer to handle it.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
3rdpig said:
So, being stronger and able to swing a heavier bat as fast, or a lighter one even faster, won't make you a better ballplayer? Being able to jump higher and run faster won't make you a better ballplayer?

HGH will improve eyesight, and improved eyesight won't make you a better ballplayer?
So, using that logic, would you outlaw Lasic eye surgery? Also the bigger and stronger you get the more you weigh and it tends to cancel out how fast and high you jump. These guys are usually bulking up for hitting ability.
Listen I have no problem with the game tightning up the rules, my problem was McCain and Congress doing it. If the fans are as upset about this as you are then the league should listen, as that's where the money comes from.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I have a little bit of a disagreement with some of the things said here. If I was misusing drugs and caught, I'd go to jail. Those guys have been caught and nothing done about it. I think they should be arrested and hauled to jail just like an ordinary Joe Blow. No Congress, just the law and the cops. But their celebrity status makes them exempt from this.

A famous NFL wide receiver from my home state has repeated drug use charges against him from the time he was in high school to the present. I don't believe he has seen more than 30 days in jail for all the charges(about 6 IIRC) combined. I would not have been given this leniency.

I'm just tired of the double standard.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Preacher said:
I have a little bit of a disagreement with some of the things said here. If I was misusing drugs and caught, I'd go to jail. Those guys have been caught and nothing done about it. I think they should be arrested and hauled to jail just like an ordinary Joe Blow. No Congress, just the law and the cops. But their celebrity status makes them exempt from this.

A famous NFL wide receiver from my home state has repeated drug use charges against him from the time he was in high school to the present. I don't believe he has seen more than 30 days in jail for all the charges(about 6 IIRC) combined. I would not have been given this leniency.

I'm just tired of the double standard.
I'll certainly agree with that. Throw their butts in the slammer like any other scumbag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts