Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mig welders, being the more prevalent- and inexpensive:what a coincidence! - still do good welds on the lower rails.

These were positioned and drilled 3/16" through the receiver. The center pin was made from quarter inch rod with the ends turned down and was snapped in place and welded last.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike -- at get this point they go to the grinder and then to the belt sander.There's a half done one on the top of the pile below. I can't remember -- the wire was 25 or 30 and the current was turned down low.

Cephus -- all the other ones were done with Tig but Max just mentioned he picked up a Mig rig so I thought we'd see what they look like.

George the Wonder Welder thinks I'm a damned idiot for not getting the store bought center pins because that's the same way I make mine. But he thinks I'm a damned idiot anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uhh-- those are the ones that don't fit in the receiver drawer. Like, you know, the overflow.

They're actually for Santa's little elves; we've got an outsourcing agreement that gives me much needed points on that naughty/nice scale. It's the only way I escape the bag of coal and bundle of sticks trick under the tree.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks good, The only thing keeping me from trying a blank was the lower rails, I can't afford a TIG, but I got a mig..

Now I need some scrap to practice...

Thanks Winn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well Dad, I'm happy we met the Wonder Welder

All those recievers from a guy who (when we first started on AKs) said that rivets were cheap, and the only thing worse was welding. :rofl:

I'm glad we let George change our minds

-Luke

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, why do the kids only remember the statements where I prove myself incorrect?

Why can't they remember eat your broccoli, do your math homework, treat others with respect and hard work builds character?

Damn-- the youngsters of today remind me so much of myself!

And it is kinda funny that the building method I initially despised became a favorite.

And Cefus; anybody that brings something other than coal and switches to the Christmas tree is welcome.:smile:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
How exactly did you weld these Winn? I've never welded before, but it looks like you drilled holes through the receiver and lower rails then just filled in the hole with metal from the MIG? Is that how you did it?

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh--That's it.

Nothing complicated.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, the shame of that deal was that it was 120 years before GA would vote for a republican!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Great, I may just be able to use my friends mig now and not have to buy a spot welder. Have you experienced any problems doing it this way Winn? Could I take an angle grinder first, then a hand file and grind down the welds? Or is a belt sander more appropriate?

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm assured by all that know me that I'm incompetent in this area-- having had many lessions that it's easier to take off than put back on.

However, I use a wheel then a belt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts