Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering was there a way to fix a parts kit that was originally on a milled receiver, and put it back together using a regular 80% tapco flat?
Thanks, Tobacco Man

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
I was wondering was there a way to fix a parts kit that was originally on a milled receiver, and put it back together using a regular 80% tapco flat?
Thanks, Tobacco Man
Not long ago I got sent a milled kit that was supposed to be a stamped kit. I explored my options of using a stamped receiver and this is what I found out.

First, you can machine the stubs of the milled receiver into a sort of qausi trunions and rivit into the stamped receiver. I guess some people have done this, but despite the fact that I've got the tools and machines necessary, it seemed like a hell of a lot of work to put an AK together. Not to mention a lot of time away from other projects.

Second, you can buy normal stamped trunions, remove the barrel from the milled receiver stub, turn the threads off it, put the cut in it for the barrel pin and then press the barrel into the trunion and install the pin. A lot of work again and now you have to purchase trunions and set headspace, so you have to buy headspace gauges too. Oh, you'll have to purchase a stamped buttstock too. Seemed like too much money to spend compared to starting out with a stamped kit.

Your third option is probably the best, and that's to buy a milled receiver. Unfortunatly it's going to cost $450. A heck of a lot of money, but you get a super nice, and heavy, AK when you're done.

I sent my kit back, too bad, it was a real Russian AK in good condition.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
I bet you ordered it from the sportmanguide (same place I saw the kits)
Thanks for the info
T M
Yep, I bought one and my brother and a friend bought several, on my recommendation. I had called SG and asked and were told they were stamped kits. Upon receiving them all were milled. My kit wasn't even a folder, but it sure was in nice conditon. I agonized over it for a week before calling SG and sending it back for a full refund.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering how hard would it be to build one of those milled kits if you purchased one of the milled receivers from the firing line? Other than the cost what would be the drawbacks?
T M

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
I was wondering how hard would it be to build one of those milled kits if you purchased one of the milled receivers from the firing line? Other than the cost what would be the drawbacks?
T M
The only real drawbacks seem to be price and weight. I'm not sure what the advantages are, they don't seem any more accurate then stamped AK's, they may be more durable but it seems pretty unlikely on semi auto that I'd ever run enough rounds through one to find out. Romanian arsenal ran 300,000 rounds through a stamped receiver with no failures. I guess part of the attraction is just the look and feel of the milled receiver, and owning one more AK variant.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll guess I will look at the condition of my kit when it arrives and see if it is worth buying a milled receiver. Has anyone done a tutorial on milled AK builds.

Thanks T M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts