Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gunco irregular
3,638 Posts
Yeah, but you can buy a basic AR15 and a case of ammo for what a Mini goes for these days. About the only advantage it has is the stock configuration let's it avoid most "assault weapon" bans.

Yep, used to be the other way around though. Still haven't figured out why mini-14's jumped so much in price.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
While Minis have gone up, the amount seems excessive maybe because ARs have come down? Everybody and his mistress makes AR15s, and the parts are dirt cheap unless you go for non-mil spec items. Prices on ARs have gone down due to competition and economy of scale. Plus a Buck ain't worth the 32 cents it used to be. IIRC, the first comic book I bought in 1977 was 35 cents. Nowadays you pay $4 and up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, a viable rifle for anytime. In many ways, it is a far better gun than most. They have their drawbacks, but all other do aswell. I dont have one, it is the gun I wish I had, but will never buy. Round for round, I think that the mini would outlast the ar15, assuming there was no cleaning. If you get a mini 30, upgrade the hammer spring and recoil spring with a wolf extra power set. synthetic stock.

·
gunco irregular
3,638 Posts
The main issue I've had with the mini for reliability is the magazines. The factory ones work great, but the aftermarket ones ranged from POS to OK but never as good as the Ruger mags. So not really it's fault. Never shot one of the target verions of the Mini14, but a standard AR would beat the few mini14's I've shot when shooting for groups.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The main issue I've had with the mini for reliability is the magazines. The factory ones work great, but the aftermarket ones ranged from POS to OK but never as good as the Ruger mags. So not really it's fault. Never shot one of the target verions of the Mini14, but a standard AR would beat the few mini14's I've shot when shooting for groups.
even the legendary AK is a malfunctioning mess without good magazines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts