Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I did it , it is going to happen for shure. I ordered a romanian AKM in new condition. this build will not be slapped togeather in a day but I hope it will be finished pretty soon. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm excited to see the handguards!
I know it will come out well...
Tapco stuff should be landing on the 16th, which is Thurs.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the scope rail that came with my romak kit. I would like to use it on my mini reciever. I have never put a scope rail on a reciever and I am open to all tips to do it properly. I will be useing a Vulcan reciever. My biggest consern is if the scope is pointiog too far up or down, resulting in inability to find a center piont on the target. It seems to me that if it is off even a tiny bit the scope may not have enough adjustment to get to zero center.
do you guys think the extra rail that came with the romak kit is a good idea to use??
Again I need any and all info to mount the rail properly. Thanks ALL

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't have a clue, aside from clamping the scope to the rail, and maybe using a boresighter to line it up and mark it. this would be quite cumbersome and may require 2 people, but I haven't a clue as to how else you could do it. I've been trying to come up with something, since my Bulgie kit has a scope rail, and I'll be in the same boat. I'll be getting a PSOP scope from Centerfire for it, like the one on your Romak. If you're into it, maybe we can give LOIS a call and see what she might be able to do for a couple of them, and I might even buy a second or third for future, or maybe a group buy???
But...
with the boresighter, maybe vice grip it lightly enough to tap it into position as you look down the scope???
grasping at straws... somebody with a bucket to bail me out here?

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I have the scope rail that came with my romak kit. I would like to use it on my mini reciever. I have never put a scope rail on a reciever and I am open to all tips to do it properly. I will be useing a Vulcan reciever. My biggest consern is if the scope is pointiog too far up or down, resulting in inability to find a center piont on the target. It seems to me that if it is off even a tiny bit the scope may not have enough adjustment to get to zero center.
do you guys think the extra rail that came with the romak kit is a good idea to use??
Again I need any and all info to mount the rail properly. Thanks ALL
If the rail is good enough for the Romak, it's good enough for the mini-Romak. Besides, it's 1 extra part you won't have to order or scrounge. As an added bonus, the rail will fit using the center support rivet just like your Romak 3 does. The rail will clear a 47 or 74 stock tang since it doesn't use any of the rear rivets.

For mounting the rail, I would first do whatever filing or machining is needed to fit your scope to the rail. Once the rail is trimmed/filed to fit the scope, mount it parallel to the top rail. Tantal's site has some info about mounting scope rails, but it's for the screw-on shorter rails. It's still some good info...

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html

You could rivet, screw, or spot-weld your rail to the receiver. If I use my spare Romak rail, I'll probably rivet and spot-weld it just like the Romak receiver from Centerfire. You could also consider screws with silver-solder. The silver-solder ensures the screws cannot loosen.

When I do get around to trimming the rail on my Romak, I'm going to clamp the receiver to some setup blocks on the mill table and square it off. In a perfect world everything should line up with the top rails (the trunnion should line up due to the slots, the barrel should line up with the trunnion, etc.). I plan on milling the top side of my rail parallel to the top rail. Milling the rail off the receiver would be a little easier to set up properly.

Dirtalert was doing some serious messing with RPK barrels on standard trunnions. He can probably answer any questions about the IO barrels or other RPK parts questions you might have.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but I'll post it again for those who did not get it...
an e-mail to IO tech support from me. the reply is first, my original message is last.

Dear Sir,

These are RPKM barrels but we do not recommend them for live firing. Please read our online product description.

Best regards,
David

for
Inter Ordnance of America
Customer Service Department
3305 Westwood Industrial Drive
USA - Monroe, NC 28110
Tel: 1+704-225-8843
Fax: 1+704-225-8362
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
([email protected]) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 at 06:49:04
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

comment: Code: RPKBAR
Price: $49.95
I was wondering if this was an RPK-74, 5.45x39, or an RPK-47, 7.62X39. I need to know which caliber this barrel assy. is chambered for, and what size trunnion it will fit.
Thank you,
Bryan Butler

They sound like they'd make good crowbars...

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Please tell us more about your mini romak project. I'm gathering parts for my own mini romak. I have a 20" Maadi barrel to use and a Romak I type buttstock that will be on its way soon. I need to find a nice set of laminate handguards to go with it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
polish taipan
just a heads up here, the romak comes with a laminated stock BUT the front hand guard is sloid wood NOT laminated. I too may start with laminated because I have some BUT I am going to buy or make a solid wood set before I am going to call it finished. I am shure laminated will look fine and I usualy prefer laminated . Please keep in touch with my threads on this, it will be fun to compare each others choises.
I have to ask ware did you get the longer barrel and is it 7.62x39.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rhino
I do not know what the stock came off of. It was on sale at clasic arms, brand new for $9 so I bought it. I was not even thinking mini then. I will compaire the grip next time I am in their to see it. It dose have the spring loaded but plate and looks new.
my kit should be here early next week.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Ah, You're right they are solid.

But I think I will still use the laminate variety and restain them in a SVD red

and here's the buttstock I am buying (bought)

The Maadi barrel was a take off new barrel I got off another boards guy.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I almost forgot to mention this:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that looks exactly like my stock. yes I realy like laminated , if you copy the color you may have something their.

any suggestions ware I may get a barrel?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
hotbarrel said:
that looks exactly like my stock. yes I realy like laminated , if you copy the color you may have something their.

any suggestions ware I may get a barrel?
I wish I could suggest something on a barrel, I was just lucky, but that week that I got it, I had seen another 20" Maadi kit for sale, so they are out there.
If you can get a handguard retainer on, I might suggest converting a 20" Saiga.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the kit today!!!! it is a romanian AKM from IO. Now I have the problem I thought I would have, this is why I wanted to buy parts and not a kit. Here is the problem. The kit is just WAY too nice to break up and customize. it is bealtifull. the furniture is NEW, It is a shame to not use it. I just dont know.... It goes against my grain to seperate the parts and piece something togeather. OH what to do? oh what to do?
to Romak or not to Romak , that is the question.. I am realy not shure now.. any tips or advise.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I'd just build it, if you like it that much. The Mini Romak can be put together through parts collection, or just buy a Saiga 20" in 7.62. Since is a "romak" why not .308?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh boy , 308 would be nice for the mini romak. I said originaly I would not hurry so maby I will not give up just put it on long hold till I find some of the rite parts. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts