Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see the story.
The French Airport Police actually put 5 ounces of Plastic explosive into some passenger's checked bag to test their bomb sniffing dogs. They lost sight of the bag on the conveyor "for a moment", and now, all they know is that it left DeGaulle Airport on one of the 90 flights that took off from there today.
Does anyone else find it disturbing that a.) They can't seem to find a bag with 5 ounces of plastic when they KNOW that there definitely is one THERE (!?)(Let alone one that they DON'T know about!)(I guess the dog'll get fired.) and b.) That they are actually placing plastic into the checked bags of unsuspecting passengers traveling through their airport without their prior knowlege or consent?
Yeesh!!
Not that I was planning any trips to France anytime soon anyway, but, for me, that would be just one more reason to vote against THAT trip!
PS: The French official actually had the gaul(DeGaulle?) to say that it wasn't dangerous, because it contained no detonator. I mean, of course I realize that that is actually true, but can you imagine if somebody else tried to use that explanation to attempt to placate the TSA folks??? Har!! I can see them being led away in cuffs right now saying,
"Really! It isn't dangerous without the detonator!"
PPS: Actually I'd like to see the puzzled look on the face of the passenger, who, upon arriving at his destination, finds in their luggage an unanticipated 5 ounces of semtex or C4, but is unable to locate their confiscated butane lighter, or can of aerosol deodorant. Yup. That'd be about right.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
More proof that not bathing affects the brain.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Maybe its going to "Target" store?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I always thought the term "Freedom Fries" was dumb to use for French fries, until now!:wallbash:

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
French Airport Security is Tango Uniform.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I like that dog that is some funny stuff

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking dawg Lupe. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pogo,
Can you post a source for that story?? They way I heard it, it was the Dalles police. I sure would like to see the original story and a source for verification. I see too much un-verifiable "news" to believe everything I read. Ever listen to Limbaugh or Hannady?? Those two spew out so many half stories it's hard to listen.
UnderFolder

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UnderFolder,

I can't find the original source that I was reading, but I found this one. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/12/04/international1532EST0535.DTL

(12-04) 13:06 PST PARIS (AP) --

Police at Paris' top airport lost track of a passenger's bag in which plastic explosives were placed to train bomb-sniffing dogs, police said Saturday. Warned that the bag may have gotten on any of nearly 90 flights from Charles de Gaulle, authorities searched planes upon arrival in Los Angeles and New York.

French police said the explosives were harmless and there was no chance of their going off, since no detonators were connected to them.

More than 300 passengers were evacuated and their luggage searched when their Air France flight from Charles de Gaulle arrived in Los Angeles late Friday the U.S. Transportation Security Administration said

Two Air France and one American Airlines flight to Paris were also searched in New York City, TSA spokesman Norm Brewer said. No explosives were found on any of the flights.

French police at Charles de Gaulle deliberately placed up to five ounces of plastic explosives into a passenger's luggage Friday evening, police spokesman Pierre Bouquin said.

But a "momentary lack of surveillance" led to the bag being lost on a conveyor belt carrying luggage from check-in to planes, he said.

Authorities immediately alerted the relevant airlines that one of between 80 and 90 planes that left the French capital from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday could be carrying the explosives, Bouquin said.

Four of the flights were en route to the United States, while others were headed to places like Japan and Brazil, Bouquin said. Some were domestic French flights. The flight searched in Los Angeles was delayed two to three hours before continuing on its next leg to Tahiti in the South Pacific.

"These dogs must be trained in the most realistic situation possible ... to be the most effective," Bouquin said.

"Indeed, it's possible that someone will have a surprise when he opens his bag."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts