Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conceal carry trend matches state​
By Edward J. Sisson
Law-enforcement officials around the state report that in the nine months since Missouri's concealed-carry law went into effect, it's become apparent the newness has worn off and the number of people applying for the permit is down significantly from projected figures.

Laclede County is no different, Sheriff Richard Wrinkle said Monday afternoon.

"The number generally around was that you'd get about 1 percent of the population (of a county) -- which for us would have been around 300," Wrinkle said. "We've issued 186. We have two that have been approved, but the people haven't been down to get them yet. We have eight that are pending."

The county began accepting applications for a concealed-carry permit March 1.

Wrinkle said after March and April, the numbers dropped significantly.

"The first month we had 88 and in April we had 36," he said.

From May through early December, the sheriff said approximately 77 permits have been issued.

No one who has applied for the permit in Laclede County has been turned down after the mandatory background checks were conducted.

"Everyone who has applied has been approved," Wrinkle said. "Everybody met the criteria."

The Missouri State Highway Patrol estimated the first year would produce 60,000 applications for permits to carry a concealed weapon based on figures from other states that had passed such a law.

Not all counties in Missouri are issuing permits, and those that do keep their own records. The best indication of statewide application figures is the number of requests county sheriffs made to the patrol for background checks on people seeking the permits. That number was 13,748 since the law took effect in March to November.

Wrinkle said that the lower than expected numbers can be attributed in part to Missourians not having to obtain a permit to have a concealed weapon in their motor vehicle as long as they don't take it out of the vehicle.

"We (sheriffs) all agreed that the main thing was the part of the law that says that if you're over 21 and have a weapon legally -- a concealable weapon -- that you can carry it in your vehicle without a permit. There's lot's of people who came to apply who said, 'Well, I was going to get one, but that's all I wanted to do was to be able to have a gun in my car -- I don't want to carry one on my person anywhere.' And I think that lowered the numbers quite a bit."

Capt. Chris Ricks of the highway patrol noted that Jackson County, St. Louis County and the city of St. Louis, which make up about 35 percent of Missouri's population, aren't issuing the gun permits because of a flaw in the law's wording. If they were, and applications were made at the same rate as the rest of the state, the total still would be less than 19,000.

The law, which was passed last year, was delayed for a time after it was challenged in court.

The Missouri Supreme Court upheld the law in a February ruling, but also found that the law was an unfunded mandate in that the $100 fee did not cover the cost of issuing the permits in some counties.

Another issue that has affected the numbers is the result of some Missourians, especially those in the Jackson County or the St. Louis areas, applying to other states for permits, which are honored in Missouri.

The Associated Press contributed information to this report.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Preacher said:
The Associated Press contributed information to this report.
[/left]
Disinformation is more like it.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Wonder what happened to the "Blood bath" that was "Going to happen once all those people are armed and carrying." It was going to be like the "Wild west" with shootouts on every street corner and the "Streets were going to run red with the blood of the innocents....." What happened????

Assholes.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
dinkydow said:
Wonder what happened to the "Blood bath" that was "Going to happen once all those people are armed and carrying." It was going to be like the "Wild west" with shootouts on every street corner and the "Streets were going to run red with the blood of the innocents....." What happened????
Assholes.
That was predicted in Ohio as well when we got our first CCW law earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
$100? Wow! It only costs $20 a year here.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$75 in WV. $60 up front to pay for your backgroung check, and $15 for your permit providing you passed. But that is for 5 years.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I think we had to pay 45 bucks for 3 years but the required class cost about $150.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
No class needed here in AL. When i first got my ccw permit here, it took me about 5 minutes to fill out the application, then I called in 14 days (they told me to call in 14 days) and they said to come on in and get the permit(I am assuming the 14 days was to do a background check). $20 that was it. If I renew every year without letting my CCW lapse (can't remember if it can lapse 7 days, or if it has to be renewed before the permit expires - I always renew before it expires), it is just $20 and no additional fees or wait time. Of course some counties have different applications or fees. I know of one individual in another county that was given his permit within 10 minutes of filling out his application. Of course he has lived in the same county his whole life and I think he knew everyone at the sheriffs department, lol.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have to take a handgun safety course as well. But once you take it, it's good for life. Can't remeber the cost of the course.

And we have to be rechecked every time we renew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts