Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hooligan
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, I encounter the "mole" problem in my backyard. Most seem to import themselves in from neighbors yards.
I have experimented over the years with many various methods of killing these pests.
here's what I've found.

Chemicals/poisons: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE/VERY DEADLY. but with cost. household pets, birds and neighbors animals AND CHILDREN will also die if they consume this poison. very toxic. Most dogs/cats are so sensitive to lawn fertilizers alone, that just getting these on their paws can kill them!
Sonic deterrents: NOT EFFECTIVE. A waste of time and money. They did not work at all for me, if they did I could not tell. Think about it, you are just delaying the inevitable, once the batteries die, in march the moles.
Mouse traps, peanut butter and lid: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.This has been the MOST EFFECTIVE method to date(aside from our cat). find mole exit holes, plug up a few and then set a mouse trap with peanut butter on it at the very lip of the hole. Next, most importantly, take the cover of a small hibachi/coal grill and place it over the trap. Moles hate light and prefer to emerge in darkness.
Own an outdoor cat: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE. During the summer, my mouse traps and cat compete for the most kills. Of course, the cat also nabs birds, mice, snakes and rabbits.
Herbal/Natural deterrents: NOT EFFECTIVE. A waste of time, not to mention that this makes you feel like an asshole for trying.
Victor Spear trap: NOT EFFECTIVE. A Medieval looking device that, in theory would work on large moles. Mine has been set off SEVERAL times with no kill.
this device is spring loaded and when the mole tunnels under it, in theory, the spear is released and impales the little bastard. The reality is that for two years, I have always only had empty spear traps. Even when baited with peanut butter.
Fireworks: NOT EFFECTIVE. Cherry bombs, stink bombs, M-80's, blackjacks, roman candles and the like are very entertaining to use, but ultimately a waste of time.
Caddyshacking" or flooding:NOT EFFECTIVE. you'll need alot of water and alot of time to win with this type of assault. You'll probably kill whatever vegetation that you werer trying to save in the first place by drowning it!
Live traps: NOT EFFECTIVE. Your "mole problem" must not bother you that much if you are considering this avenue. This is the WORST way to rid yourself of this infestation. Why bother? what do you plan on doing with them AFTER you catch them? remember, a single mole can burrow up to 100 yards in a single night."They'll be back!"
take off the gloves and stop being gay.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Caddyshacking" or flooding:NOT EFFECTIVE. you'll need alot of water and alot of time to win with this type of assault. You'll probably kill whatever vegetation that you werer trying to save in the first place by drowning it!

I thought "Caddyshacking" meant little forest creatures made from C-4, not flooding????? :dunno: Once the Varmint Cong have a tunnel system dug it's hard to dislodge them. Luckily my neighbor owns a dog who hates the VC as much as anybody, he'll tear the hell out of the yard to get to them but they are gone pretty quick.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
If you can get them to stand up at 400 yards this will work, killed about 500 praire dogs with it last week. LOL a couple at 600 yards but that took a few shots

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Seriously now this is how my grand father did it for years, he took a old lawn mower and attached a flex pipe to the exhaust and stuck the pipe down the hole and let it run. it can be rough on the exhaust valves but it works. He might have added a little something to the gas once or twice cant remember.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We recently bought some property, and have inherited a gopher or mole (I don't know what the heck it is) along with it. The dad gum thing is digging up what little yard we have and I know I'll never get started on growing grass as long as this pest lives. So...what's the best way to get rid of the thing? I've already tried some poison pellets, which caused it to stop making its little mounds for about 2 weeks, but it seems it was only on vacation. It's back at work now, with a vengeance. Any suggestions?

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
I can send you one of my cats.
She sits for hours staring at a spot on the lawn.
Soon as the poor mole moves, she digs like hell and crushes it head.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another way is to use a pelleted (i think) insecticide on your yard that kills grub worms in the soil. Thats what the moles eat, so you kill the grubs, the mole leaves for grubbier pastures, and no new moles move into the existing tunnels.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
The grub killer is the way to go. If you don't have much grass area to treat, milky spore works great and last a few years although it is expensive. My area has quite the mole problem as well. We treated with grub killer, but it did not stop the lil devils from comming in the yard to check. So, out came the mole trap. I caught 9 moles with it and got lucky with 2 or three voles this year. Within the last week I noticed a new one has come in from the field in back. If you have alot of clay in your soil just stick a garden hose in the tunnel and let it run until water is comming out from the thin spots. We have sandy soil at our new house so the hose trick doesn't work here. If they're deeper than the spike trap can get them I use a pest smoke bomb. Works the same as mower exhaust.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Seriously now this is how my grand father did it for years, he took a old lawn mower and attached a flex pipe to the exhaust and stuck the pipe down the hole and let it run. it can be rough on the exhaust valves but it works. He might have added a little something to the gas once or twice cant remember.
Out of high school I worked at a golf course-we'd put a hose over the end of a Cushman cart and pull up the choke. On a summer morning you could see blue smoke drifting up from the tunnels-worked every time. Maybe need to go out west and do it to the smugglers tunnels across the border!!

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Gopher Cong..

[video=youtube;etpHKueh6S0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpHKueh6S0]Caddyshack Gopher Montage - YouTube[/video]

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Rodenator :D

[video=youtube;2umEFHeo6mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEFHeo6mw]Rodenator Pro, bunker buster - YouTube[/video]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mole are territorial, which means when you remove one mole from it's system of tunnels, another will eventually take over. Mole come together in the matting season, when the males travel above and below ground to find a mate.

There are no permanent methods to remove moles; Moles will travel anywhere to find their prey which is earth worms and if you have good soil, it is likely you will end up with moles.

Chemical methods of control such as gas, will leave the soil sterile.
The best method is trapping using the Duffus trap or tunnel trap but you need to buy good ones. Here in the UK the very best are made by Flat pack.

If anyone needs advice with moles, feel free to PM or Email. I'm a professional pest controller here in the UK and catch moles all the time as part of my job.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flood the Moles Out
Find an active mole tunnel with fresh dirt around its opening. Place a garden hose in the hole, and turn on the water. Run the water until you see a mole surface or until the tunnel is completely flooded.

Use a Repellent
Purchase a commercial mole repellent from a hardware store. Place some of the repellent in the entrance of an active mole tunnel. Uncover a section of the tunnel, place more repellent in the tunnel, and cover the tunnel back up with dirt.

Trap the Moles
Uncover part of an active mole tunnel and place the trap in the center of the tunnel so the mole will have to pass through it. Set the trap and cover the tunnel with dirt. Check the trap every morning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trap the Moles
Uncover part of an active mole tunnel and place the trap in the center of the tunnel so the mole will have to pass through it. Set the trap and cover the tunnel with dirt. Check the trap every morning.
Hi Adam, just a quick tip. Mole traps are a little like Rabbit snares in as much as the more you put down the more chance you have of catching the mole. Generally in a domestic garden I will place half a dozen or more and our gardens are MUCH smaller than your typical US garden. Moles are solitary (apart from the mating season, which is spring time over here), during the solitary times you might catch on mole every few weeks, during mating season one or more moles every day or so. Moles are insectivores, so the only sure fire way to get rid of the moles is to get rid of the insects, there is only one sure fire way to do that but it involves a whole load of sand, chippings and cement. The reason flooding the tunnels seems to work is that earth worms (the primary food source of the mole) will move away from the water logged soil and thus the moles will move as well. Repellents are like snake oil, mole tunnels can be as deep as several foot the bottom line is that these repellents can not circulate around the moles tunnel system. There is an old saying, if someone has a problem, someone else will be only too happy to invent a solution. Gassing will work but not because it kills the moles, more because it leave the soil sterile killing all the food sources, the mole unless trapped in the tunnel system will simply flee up on smelling the gas.

John

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I rather like the "Rodinator", just me, I always did like blowing shit up though!!!! In Nam I always volnteered to blow shit up, liked to see how high I could make something fly, musta got 35meters with a jeep one time!!! HEEEEE! HAAAAAWW! Wonder what ya could get with a gopher 75-80????

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
not moles,but this takes care of rats.[video=youtube;KFpPzlzfc1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpPzlzfc1M]Rat shooting with Sony camcorder, IR laser illuminator, HW100 .177 air rifle - YouTube[/video]

·
Registered
11 Posts
May sound stupid but spearmint gum has worked for me. Touch only the wrapper and drop it down the hole. No poisons no shooting. Sounds boring but give it a try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts