Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Party Advice: Avoid Bare Copier Sitting

Fri Dec 10, 5:55 PM ET Strange News - AP

LONDON - British workers have been told: Have a merry Christmas ? but skip the mistletoe, don't dance on the desks and definitely don't perch bare-bottomed on the photocopier. Such are the horrors of the modern British office party highlighted Friday in a welter of advice which, to some minds, would kill the fun.

The Trades Union Congress and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents advised:

_ Nix on candles, flaming puddings and cigarettes.

_ Careful with the Christmas trees, which injured a thousand Britons in December 2002.

_ Skip the mistletoe. A sexual harassment case is no fun.

_ No dancing on the desks.

_ Use paper cups, not glasses.

_ No indoor fireworks.

_ "Resist the temptation to photocopy parts of your anatomy ? if the copier breaks, you'll be spending Christmas with glass in some painful places."

Such advice provoked resentment.

"The purpose of Christmas parties is to encourage team spirit, encourage relationships and so on," said Nick Goulding, chief executive of The Forum of Private Business.

"If you tie them down with pettifogging regulations, you really undermine the whole thing you are trying to achieve.

"It is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut," Goulding said ? perhaps highlighting a potentially dangerous practice overlooked by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

"We are not being party poopers," said the Society's Roger Bibbings. "Some sensible safety precautions will allow people to have a great office celebration without having to call in the emergency services."

Two other organizations had different gloomy views of office Christmas parties.

Office Angels, a recruiting firm, said four out of five workers ? in a survey of 1,000 in Manchester, England ? would like to have time off in December to shop or participate in children's' events, rather than go to a party.

OfficeTeam, another recruiter, reported a survey of 2,400 which found that one in three workers dreaded the parties, and one in five feared they might damage their careers by getting drunk and misbehaving.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for reminding me, it's time to get out my mistletoe belt buckle.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Custer said:
OfficeTeam, another recruiter, reported a survey of 2,400 which found that one in three workers dreaded the parties, and one in five feared they might damage their careers by getting drunk and misbehaving.
That is why I do not attend my work's parties. Nothing, but the single people drinking themselves silly and a few partners who feel they have to be there.

Every year I here a story about one of our young ladies who passed out on the way to the after party in the back of someone's car then was woken up and taken into a bar where she throws up on the dance floor.

Oh what fun! They all think it's terribly funny though.........

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I do try to refrain from shooting off fireworks at X-mas parties, especially the indoor ones. Those wacky Limeys, what a fun crowd.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have fun. Use common sense. It is pitiful what passes for useful advice these days.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Custer said:
Have fun. Use common sense. It is pitiful what passes for useful advice these days.

What's pitiful is some people need to be told as well. Sort of like new employees at any retail store having to be trained to actually talke to a customer. I find that some of them obviously never took the training.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
The last Christmas party I went to was at the home of the then editor of The Miami Herald, lots of interesting people there including Dr, Ferdie Pacheco, who kept the party animated with his stories about Mohammed Ali.........Boring.......and the former City of Miami Mayor, who was getting a divorce from his wife at the time....Triple boring.....so the wife and I split within an hour.

If you are going to throw a party invite fun loving people please.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm impressed that nobody is giving them flack for referring to them as Christmas parties. The C-word and all that.

Keep the X in Xmas!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read something not long ago that the X in Christmas, which some find to be taking Christ out of Christmas, is in fact quite Christ-like as X was the Greek (?) symbol for Christ starting with early Christianity.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My wife's company had a fatality at a Christmas party one year, apparently one of the bigwigs wives had a little too much and fell six stories off an interior balcony in a hotel where the party was being held. Blood alcohol level above "unconcious Rhino" stage.
Present and future festivities are, and will remain, "dry".

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Thanks for reminding me, it's time to get out my mistletoe belt buckle.
For someone to be under that mistletoe they either need to be short or you need to be standing on a chair or ladder (wait that wouldn't be safe for the party now would it :D :D).

And that would go along with the Saturday Night Live show on a couple days ago, there was some mistletoe underwear that merv the perv was wearing, lmao.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts