Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Charlotte Gun Show yesterday, I saw a couple of Mosin Nagant 91-30 sniper rifles with mounted scope.

They wanted $400 for them!

I could tell, the scope mounts were not original. The stock was properly cut for them, and they fit fine, but I was sure they were not authentic period pieces. Why pay $340 more for a modified stock, mount, and what appeared to be an average scope?

·
Registered
16 Posts
AClay47 said:
At the Charlotte Gun Show yesterday, I saw a couple of Mosin Nagant 91-30 sniper rifles with mounted scope.

They wanted $400 for them!

I could tell, the scope mounts were not original. The stock was properly cut for them, and they fit fine, but I was sure they were not authentic period pieces. Why pay $340 more for a modified stock, mount, and what appeared to be an average scope?
Coles sells both original and repro. Look at the difference in price. Also, add the costs to acquire a repro PE scope, PE mount, turn-down bolt and the gunsmith costs to set it up on a minty 91.30 and I think you will find it is a good price, as long as you know it is a repro. Interordinance was recently selling them as original and caught heck for it on the other boards that have true MN expert collectors who can sniff out a fake like a bloodhound sniffs out a ****. (Not saying there are no experts here, but things are a bit thin in this area of the board, IMHO.)

If the ones you saw had a scout mount and modern scope, $400 is way too much.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What he said. If it's a well-done reproduction, I'd say $400 is a fair price given the cost of the mount, scope, and modifying the bolt handle.

I've got a Yugo M48-A I've made an ersatz Wermacht sniping rifle reproduction out of, and I paid more for a reproduction Wermacht lever-detachable scope mount than I did for the rifle! I consider good judgment to be a vastly over-rated virtue.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah, as long as it's priced as the sum of it's parts plus a bit for 'smithing, it's a good buy.
There are some C&R guys here. We may be a bit thin on the ground, but we are here. I know Myself and Gordon Guage are here for sure, and we are both old iron geeks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
cammobunker said:
...There are some C&R guys here. We may be a bit thin on the ground, but we are here....
Include the folks with C&R SKS's and there may be more C&R folks here than you think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts