Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard on the radio just a few minutes ago that the attack was a suicide bomber.

This brings up more questions as to how a suicide bomber got in there?

If you don't know what i'm talking about it was the attack that killed at least 19 soldiers yesterday.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I got to wondering thi morning when they mentioned that there were BB's in the rocket to maximise human damage. It just struck me as strange as to how/why a sholder fired rocket would be able to carry a payload.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I don't think they really know for sure. I heard them talking about it on Fox News just a few minutes ago, and they are still going back and forth on the cause of the blast.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I say it's about time to melt some sand into glass!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Randy said:
I got to wondering thi morning when they mentioned that there were BB's in the rocket to maximise human damage. It just struck me as strange as to how/why a sholder fired rocket would be able to carry a payload.
It was a 122 mm rocket that they thought made the blast and supposedly they are loaded with BB's from what the pentagon weapons guy said.

If my info is right a 122 launches from a stand similar to a motar and lobs into the target with an ARC?

Pogo might know since he was a military man for quite some time.

Now, here's the rub.... What if they knew this was a suicide bomber all along and they didn't want it to get out, but now it is? It would make sense because it does serious dameg to moral if troopers know these people can get into their mess halls.

They might also keep it tight lipped, so the terrorist don't know right away they hit their mark.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Preacher said:
I say it's about time to melt some sand into glass!
Spoken as a true Christian.

At a more practical level... Careful, careful. A tried-and-true terrorist strategy is to taunt the occupying power in to over-reacting; when the occupying power over-reacts, it mobilizes the native population against the occupyers, and alienates the occupyers home front. This strategy was adopted by the FALN against the French in Algeria and it worked very well.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
There are several different kinds of 122mm rockets. I haven't heard which kind it is. I'd say it's safe to assume it wasn't fired from a multiple tube launcher. It was probably a type 81 Chinese 122mm rocket, which can be fired from a stand similar to a mortar, like SangRun stated. They aren't real accurate, and are used more for harrassment fire. But they are quite deadly if they hit something. They are very big, and couldn't be concealed easily. Probably it was transported in some kind of delivery truck.

One other thing. They could be used for delivery of chemical agents if they had such munitions. And, that would be real bad.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo, could the warhead from a 122mm rocket form the basis for a concealable bomb that could be carried by a person, or would it be too heavy and/or bulky?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
A type 81 Chinese 122mm, or the Russian 122mm that I'm familiar with is quite big. About 8-9 feet long. Yer not going to shove that down yer pants and not get noticed. I don't think there are any such thing as a 122mm that could be concealed on a persons body.

I understand the terrorists have been making improvised explosive devices out of all kinds of armament, so I guess anything's possible.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, while I could easily hide the entire missle by simply telling people that I have an erection, that may not be plausible for most people.

Do you have any idea how long the warhead is?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I just looked up the capacity of the type 81mm, and it said that it could contain 8 liters. That's a lot. So, my calculations would be the warhead would have to be a very minimum of about 2 to 2 1/2 feet long, probably longer.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
I just looked up the capacity of the type 81mm, and it said that it could contain 8 liters. That's a lot. So, my calculations would be the warhead would have to be a very minimum of about 2 to 2 1/2 feet long, probably longer.
Well, let's see, I could conceal the full missile by telling folks I had an erection, and the warhead alone by telling folks I'd lost it by thinking about Hillary Clinton. I don't know how well that would work out for your typical Iraqi, though - unlikely to have been a suicide bomber, then.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Did they say how he got in the mess hall? Is there no security or what? I just dont understand how something like that could happen. I have a nephew and a niece over there right now and would hate to see something like that happen to them like that. May god look over their families and friends for all of us.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
mbadboyz, what had been uncertain is whether the explosives were delivered via a missle or artillary attack, or by a suicide bomber. If delivered by a suicide bomber, the security concerns you voice are valid.

Just heard on the BBC that in all likelihood it was a suicide bomber.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Spoken as a true Christian.
You didn't think I'd say that without having Scripture to back me up now did you:

Deuteronomy 13:15-16 15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword. 16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Bring in the crop dusters and spray their cities and water supply with pig blood. When you find a terrorist wrap his body in a pig skin and bury him dead or alive. It worked before.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
DZ, why do you say, "spoken like a true Christian"? Are Christians supposed to be meek, run in the face of terror or stand by and watch their brothers and sisters be killed. I am a Christian, I don't ware it on my sleeve, but I believe that there is good and there is evil. I guess it all turns on what you believe is good and what is evil. You can't piss around with evil or try to make sense of it or compromise with it. Frankly, I think Preacher is on the right track. Maybe instead of trying to win hearts and minds, we ought to think about stamping out evil. In my book, evil = insurgents. Jack

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
scubadvr said:
DZ, why do you say, "spoken like a true Christian"? Are Christians supposed to be meek, run in the face of terror or stand by and watch their brothers and sisters be killed....
Not necessarily. I'm just having a bit of difficulty trying to recall the chapter and verse in the New Testament where Christ says to nuke thy enemies and any innocent people who happen to live in the same region as thy enemies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts