Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Muzzle loaders and black powder

Who here does the black powder?

Just got my first CVA 150 recently and I'm going to be trying it out soon. My Dad has a couple of powder rifles and I really the bug after shooting his a few times.

Nothing like being engulfed in choking smoke after taking a shot :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
762X54R said:
Who here does the black powder?

Just got my first CVA 150 recently and I'm going to be trying it out soon. My Dad has a couple of powder rifles and I really the bug after shooting his a few times.

Nothing like being engulfed in choking smoke after taking a shot :D

You ought to go to a Cowboy Action Shooting match where some of the shooters are using cartridges loaded with black powder or one of the smokyer black powder subsititues! There is nothing more fun than hollerin'; "I ain't no cheat! Eat lead you varmit!" then letting fly the choking, sulfuric smoke, the sparks and fire and hear the clang of hot lead smaking cold steel!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
681 Posts
:bawling: stop, man... yer killin me.... it just too beautiful....

I've been wanting to get into the black powder thing for a long while now... just can't decide... high-tech inline or hawkins type smoke pole? maybe one of each!!!:rockin:

or maybe a group buy on some black powder kits??? he he...
that might be the way to go for me, though... a hawkins kit or of that similar variety, to get to know black powder intimately... any other thoughts???

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'd like to get a Hawkins kit, but they are expensive.

You can't beat the CVA modern stuff for price and quality. I cannot wait to shoot mine for the first time even though my Dad has almost the exact same rifle and I've shot it a few times. He also has a Traditions carbine from a few years ago? It's a cap type rifle where as our CVA's take 209 primers and has the bolt type action.

One day I would like to have a traditional Kentucky long rifle knockoff or teh really thing is I get rich.

·
Registered
681 Posts
yeah, those CVA's kick butt... really accurate to boot... putting a scope on it, or using the iron?
I love the idea of the shotgun primers. super reliable, faster ignition, and safer, too. I'm sure you're going to love it.
oh... by the by... I also have seen some pretty nice looking slugs for those things, too... barnes x, hornady SST, partitions, you name it, and they got slugs or sabots for the muzzle loaders... ain't great-great-grandaddy's lead ball no more... these things rock!!!:rockin:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sks_hunter said:
yeah, those CVA's kick butt... really accurate to boot... putting a scope on it, or using the iron?
I love the idea of the shotgun primers. super reliable, faster ignition, and safer, too. I'm sure you're going to love it.
oh... by the by... I also have seen some pretty nice looking slugs for those things, too... barnes x, hornady SST, partitions, you name it, and they got slugs or sabots for the muzzle loaders... ain't great-great-grandaddy's lead ball no more... these things rock!!!:rockin:
Yeah my Dad having owned for a while before me and using it for hunting he got the whole system down. He experimented and experimented for several months to get the right load and right brand and weight of slugs.

He scoped his and I probably will too after a while.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a couple repoduction CW muskets. 1853 Enfield and a 1861 Springfield. Both made by Euroarms, and .58 cal.

You outta see a tomato can getting hit by one of those slow moving slugs :rockin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
!!

Black powder is fun...I prefer flintlocks though. Have two CVAs, one in .54 and one in .45. The .54 with 80 grains of FFg blackpowder really makes a scene.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I love the smoke sticks...

I'm in the process of buying a new smoker.. A original Revolutionary War musket.. I think it would be way cool to own a gun that was used to forge this great Nation...

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is the only type gun my wife says I can't buy. She works in a Emergency Room and has seen what goes wrong when not loaded right.

I just don't care to own one. Not because the wife said so. :dunno:

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
I love my BP

Currently I only own a TC pennslyvania(sp) match rifle. Love that thing lol.

I will be getting a flintlock soon, my grandfather is putting one together for me:thumbup1: .

I am also on the search for the ever elusive wheelock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I own 7 black powder guns,

3 pistols
3 rifles
1 musket

They are my favorite type of firearm. Once you get bitten by the BP bug it's hard to go back to modern firearms.

Klaus......I've been into muzzle loading for 22 years, I've never seen a wheel lock (except on the History Channel!!). I wouldn't even know which direction to point you in. I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone starts building them again.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've got two, a CVA .50 Mountain Rifle that I've tricked out a bit, and a Lyman .50 Great Plains pistol. Both are round-ball weapons, really enjoy shooting both.

The CVA I converted to single trigger, put a different trigger guard on it, put an aperture rear sight on it, and removed the blueing and browned it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
klauss said:
I've only know of 2 people that make them, one i'm not sure if they do anymore.
I have not approached them yet as I do not have the money to purchase one. I have no idea how much it would cost.

It's going to be high, but I can't imagine it would be THAT high. Biggest thing that's going to raise the price is the fact that there aren't that many of them. Still, a new flintlock is about 110 bucks.......so if I had to guess I'd say you are going to pay about 2-3 times that for a wheel lock. The rest of the rifle will be about the same. I think the originals were made by clock makers as opposed to blacksmiths (like the flintlocks).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
At this time I have two Black Powder firearms. I have my Remington Replica in .44 cal pistol. The kind made in Italy and it has a brass frame like the ones the south used in the war of Northern Aggression. I LOVE shooting with it and my youngest can always tell when I have shot it lately when she comes to stay cause of the lingering smell.

I also have a traditions muzzle loader inline in .50 cal. I like to shoot patched round balls with loose powder the best with it. I can shoot and shoot and shoot, and my buds who plink with sabots ( I gave up asking WHY? ) clean and clean and clean.

With both the above I love to hear the steel plates go,, GONG!!!!!!!.

When I'm lookin for bambi's great grandpa I use pydrox pellets and powerbelt bullets, in my .50

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cowdawg said:
At this time I have two Black Powder firearms. I have my Remington Replica in .44 cal pistol. The kind made in Italy and it has a brass frame like the ones the south used in the war of Northern Aggression....
Word to the wise, info I rather suspect you already have: With a brass-framed revolver, use reduced loads so it doesn't shoot loose over time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Word to the wise, info I rather suspect you already have: With a brass-framed revolver, use reduced loads so it doesn't shoot loose over time.
Yup its also a rem so the frame tends to be s little stronger, but yup I don't shoot full loads with it. :thankyou:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Swarzkopf said:
Black powder is fun...I prefer flintlocks though. Have two CVAs, one in .54 and one in .45. The .54 with 80 grains of FFg blackpowder really makes a scene.
Try a Remington Zouave in .58cal putting out 1-1/4 oz of lead at something over 1,000 fps. Now that?s fun! Just try to stop that bullet! I put one through six Chicago phone books, a thirty gallon drum (empty) along with two gallon jugs of water and it kept going.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Called some local guns store for the fun of trying to find a wheelock. Half of the people I talked to didn't even know what one was:eek: . The lack of fireams history knowledge on something so basic is saddening.

Going to the gunshow tommorow at the westland mall to see what fun I can have there.
I'm starting to think i'll never find one. I would love to build my own but have no gunsmithing knowledge. Oh well the search continues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts