Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've got two, a CVA .50 Mountain Rifle that I've tricked out a bit, and a Lyman .50 Great Plains pistol. Both are round-ball weapons, really enjoy shooting both.

The CVA I converted to single trigger, put a different trigger guard on it, put an aperture rear sight on it, and removed the blueing and browned it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cowdawg said:
At this time I have two Black Powder firearms. I have my Remington Replica in .44 cal pistol. The kind made in Italy and it has a brass frame like the ones the south used in the war of Northern Aggression....
Word to the wise, info I rather suspect you already have: With a brass-framed revolver, use reduced loads so it doesn't shoot loose over time.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I dunno where you'd find a wheel-lock mechanism. I've seen wheel-lock firearms offered for sale by Dixie firearms, but never the lock alone.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Those conversion cylinders are very nifty, rusty, but way too pricey by my standards. But that also makes that Remington-repro even more appropriate as the heirloom you intend them to be - there won't be very many of those cylinders floating around.

You gotta use BP handloads in them, right?

I always thought a pre-loaded cap-and-ball cylinder would be great for a Remington-repro, until someone pointed out the obvious to me: If it's capped and ready to go, if you drop it on the ground the results could range from embarassing to lethal.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
rusty said:
...gotta find a BP range!
That sucks. I'm in the West, specifically Northern Nevada, so I've been spoiled and have gotten used to having access to a lot of public land to shoot on. Even California has a lot of public land to shoot on.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Firthcpt said:
... Lastly have an early TC Renigade in 54 cal. Has set triggers. Very accurate w/Maxi Ball, round ball and sabots. My son hates it because of the set triggers. ...
I guess the early ones had set triggers?

I don't care for set triggers, either. I've got a CVA Mountain Rifle that came with set triggers, and I replaced them with a standard single trigger that I got from Dixie Gun Works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts