Gunco Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
My first weapon was a Kentucky flintlock rifle purchased in 1974. I still have the weapon and sometimes shoot it. I went onto muzzle loading percussion weapons, paper patched percussion and then metallic cartridges with black powder.

Then the AK/AR phase came.

I still like the old time weapons systems though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Klaus...........I'd be looking for the lock, not the complete rifle. Those wheel locks had pretty simple stock designs. Building it yourself would not be a problem assuming you have at least average intelligence and a little above average patience. Even if you had someone else build it, I can't see it costing a whole lot once you have the lock.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I dunno where you'd find a wheel-lock mechanism. I've seen wheel-lock firearms offered for sale by Dixie firearms, but never the lock alone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
See, I'm not sure. I've never seen either. My only point was that if you find a complete rifle great......but really all you need to find is a supplier for the lock. Every thing else you need is readily available.

I'll bet Jim Chambers would know if anyone is making them. He's the guy who bought out Siler Locks.

You can contact him at www.flintlocks.com Worth a try anyways.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ive got an absolutely beautiful UBERTI 1858 stainless steel .44 with the 8" barrell
complete W/ an R&D SS cylinder conv for .45lc 6 shot. the whole package was over $600 & worth every penny! an 1862 .31 cal. 1851 navy 1 baby dragoon in .36
& a couple of NAA minis in BP just for fun. all replicas of course. i dont shoot them,
most are cased sets, just for the beauty of having them & something to leave to my grandson when im gone. 20 years ago i had about 4 or 5 different "shooters" but there long gone. rusty

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Those conversion cylinders are very nifty, rusty, but way too pricey by my standards. But that also makes that Remington-repro even more appropriate as the heirloom you intend them to be - there won't be very many of those cylinders floating around.

You gotta use BP handloads in them, right?

I always thought a pre-loaded cap-and-ball cylinder would be great for a Remington-repro, until someone pointed out the obvious to me: If it's capped and ready to go, if you drop it on the ground the results could range from embarassing to lethal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
DZ, your right they are expensive. mine was $270+ tax & s&H brand new.
but... it is beautiful! and our hobby is an expensive one anyway, & who knows when they'll be "outlawed". (at the time i bought that set, i was working a union job,so it was less than a weeks pay for me then. so i figured "why not, i'll never be able to do this again.") plus if i didn't buy the gun, i wouldve just pissed it away anyhow. & i consider these investments.
you dont need handloads. factory "cowboy action" cartg's are reccomended.
& some are as powerful as standard long colt ammo. i've got a box of Hornady ammo
in "cowboy" 255gr. and the specs are somewhere around 850 or so fps w/3-400 lbs of muzzle.
some "cowboy ammo" in that cal gives 1,000 or more fps. so its more than adequate.
& good for indoor home defense use,since the lead flat nosed bullets probably wont pass through & all of that energy remains in the "perp" knocking him out of his shoes!
kind of like the .38 wadcutters & special. designed for the same reason.
as for keeping an extra cyl of pre-loaded BP handy, its done by pre-loading everything EXCEPT the caps. then, once the cyl is changed you cap it. that way its safe to carry
& with a "ted cash straight line auto capper" (or just your fingers) it's pretty quick to do.
wow, now you've guys have woke up a dormant obsession with me.
gotta find a BP range! rusty.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
rusty said:
...gotta find a BP range!
That sucks. I'm in the West, specifically Northern Nevada, so I've been spoiled and have gotten used to having access to a lot of public land to shoot on. Even California has a lot of public land to shoot on.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
rusty said:
gotta find a BP range! rusty.
I'm fortunate, we have one close where I live, only $20 a year for membership.

Also found a place that sells the wheelock's and matchlocks if anyone is interested.

http://www.albion-small-arms.freeserve.co.uk/home.htm

If I get this job i'll have the money to purchase a wheelock:thumbup1:

Also what the heck is a dog lock? I don't think i've ever heard of that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First one was a Zouave 58 cal, sold it to my cuz. Remember shooting down an old chimney with it. Yes the roar, smoke and hearing bricks fall in and roll down a old tin roof still stand out in my mind. That was 25 years ago. Have 12 ga muzzle loader, H+R, only use it on the 4th of July. 100 grains of BP and 2 paper towels for wadding and it sounds like a howitzer going off, rattles windows nearby. Lastly have an early TC Renigade in 54 cal. Has set triggers. Very accurate w/Maxi Ball, round ball and sabots. My son hates it because of the set triggers. I can outshoot him it easy, he has a Knight inline 50 cal. I prefer the old style myself.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Firthcpt said:
... Lastly have an early TC Renigade in 54 cal. Has set triggers. Very accurate w/Maxi Ball, round ball and sabots. My son hates it because of the set triggers. ...
I guess the early ones had set triggers?

I don't care for set triggers, either. I've got a CVA Mountain Rifle that came with set triggers, and I replaced them with a standard single trigger that I got from Dixie Gun Works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes the early ones came with set triggers. Got mine in 1973, has 4 digit serial number. It is the only thing I have shot w/set triggers but I like them. Mine has about a 1 lb let off. Not good for snap shooting but for target shooting I enjoy it. After reading this thread it makes me want to get it out. Haven't used it much been into AK's lately. I don't hunt anymore but love to bust milk jugs filled with H2O. My old Renagade can do it at 100 yrds. Yep sounds like the thing to do next time I am off. :woot:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts