1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nalioth

Very sweet!

1) What FSB/GB did you use?

2) What did you do to get the 24mm brake on there?
Hey Nalioth,
The FSB/GB was from Mark Krebs. A friend of mine in St.Louis had a couple of them so we did some horse trading. He also turned the barrel extention for me to bring the barrel length to 16.25 inches and threaded the extension for the 24mm Bulgarian muzzle break. You will notice that the extention was turned with a rounded shoulder so that there would be a nice continuity from the 24mm break to the barrel extention. Its only purpose was to give her a nice clean profile with out the flat dead stop once the muzzle break was installed.
Another kind of cool feature of this converstion is that the original stock rifle came with a sping loaded manual BHO device located just behind the trigger on the right side of the rifle, I left this feature on the rifle, so as I said it is not a true 100% Century Rifle but it is pretty darn close. The report from this rifle when fired is suprising, espestially if you are standing next to me on the firing line. One guy said he could feel the shock wave of the rifle hit his chest one every shot. Another guy asked me if I was shooting a .308 carbine, because it was so loud...heheheheh....:ak47:

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
The report from this rifle when fired is suprising, espestially if you are standing next to me on the firing line. One guy said he could feel the shock wave of the rifle hit his chest one every shot. Another guy asked me if I was shooting a .308 carbine, because it was so loud...heheheheh....:ak47:
Yep, an AK74 muzzle brake (or accurate clone) is one of the best "loudeners" you can get :headbang:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Nice!!! I really like the way that barrel extention looks!!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
That is very clean. Superb!

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thank you for the compliments! :cheers: This was sort of a pet project, so I took my time with it. My wife liked it so much that she tried to steal it, just like she did with my, (past tense) her Bulgy 74 fixed stock that I built... This time however she was unsucsessful, lol, altho it did not stop her from putting 300 rounds down range with it. She even put my,(past tense) her Cobra collimator sight on it and put her through her paces. How can you complain about a woman who enjoys shooting her own AKs? (even if she is a little cleptomaniac, ammo burning nut, she'd have to be she married me..LOL). :naughty:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats exactly what I had planned for my .223 Saiga. I have been keeping an eye out for a gb/fsb, I will be using a krink flash hider instead of the 74 brake. Nice job on the conversion.

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great looking rifle! Was it difficult to work out the fit for a regular (non-saiga) magazine?
Hi,
Thanks! To answer you question...Well kind of. I had to install a Bulgarian .223 bullet guide, which meant drilling a hole in the trunnion. This was ok though since I had to pull the barrel to turn it down anyway. A little extra work but well worth it since I can now use nearly all .223 AK magazines. Interestingly I have found that I can even use my 35 round steel Galil mags without having to make any modifications.
will6970 :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very nice looking AK Will. A am also interested in how you made the Weiger mag to fit. My question is does the magazine have any side to side play?

Mike

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No side play

Hi Mike,

I did not modify the Wieger magazine body, I did however build up the mag catch release on the rifle by about 4 thousands of an inch, which brought the back of all my .223 mags up to were they needed to be, just snug under the rails. Add to this the installation of the bullet guide and you get flawless feeding. Also I have not had an issue with side play from the Wieger mags, I have had some side play from a couple of Bulgarian .223 waffle mags. That being said they still feed flawlessly even though they were a little sloppy. One other thing I should mention, I used a Bulgarian AK74 trigger guard when I did this conversion. I hope that helps you.
will6970

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
"Side to side play" or "mag wobble" is something that has sneaked in to the Kalashnikov arena via the AR15 boys.

Military Kalashnikovs have mag wobble. They have canted sights, gas blocks, etc.

So long as it doesn't affect the operation of the rifle, it's fine.

When the "side to side play" or "mag wobble" gets so drastic, the magazine blocks the bolt carrier or the bolt carrier completely overrides the next cartridge, that is the "side to side play" or "mag wobble" to be wary of.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks will6970 and nalioth. I have a Saiga 223 that I have been thinking about doing something to it. I noticed ProMag has a 30 round 223 mag, but I do not want to start collecting Saiga mags when I have a bunch of Weiger mags. Man, you have one nice looking rifle.

Mike

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike,
Don't hessitate to contact me if you need any help with your Saiga project.
will6970:nanabang:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry bout the back from the dead, old post, but did you remove the trunnion and "fourth rivet" when you did the bullet guide?

Drew

·
Blacksmith Bill
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sorry bout the back from the dead, old post, but did you remove the trunnion and "fourth rivet" when you did the bullet guide?

Drew
Hi Drew,
Yes I did, but after having built more than a couple AKs, it was realy no big deal. I you can find one use the Bulgarian .223 bullet guide. I think I got mine from K-VAR.
Thanks,
will6970

1 - 20 of 30 Posts