Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a good idea to go cheap especially on a very powerful cartridge like the 50 BMG:

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
this guy has quite a few video's out. Mark Serbu has a very extensive thread over at WG about this particular incident.

lots of details about this. bad ammo, fake ammo & of course the real question: why ?

Reactions: Tommo

·
7,741 Posts
Serbu doesnt make cheap stuff or low quality stuff. he is VERY meticulous.

is it his lower priced breech loader? YES

did he make this guy a special barrel for this particular testing session? YES

was the ammo what the shooter was lead to believe? NO.

thats the up to the minute info on this & the investigation into it.

the cap that hits him in the face isnt damaged at all. it literally pulled the threads off the heavy barrel. a brand new barrel that only had the rounds you see put thru it.

seems the big search is to find how that much pressure was generated when the barrel wasnt blocked. pulling threads off of a heavy M2 barrel is no easy feat.

Reactions: WECSOG and Tommo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Inexpensive and cheap are not necessarily one and the same.
The design of this gun may appear rinky-dink but in reality it is a very strong design.
Complexity does not equate to strength.
A lot of factors may be part of why this gun failed, but design was not one of them.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stand corrected, the appearance of the rifle deceived me, yikes!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not only does Mark make high quality and well designed firearms, he also immediately stepped up to the plate and started dealing with this situation. He's a first-class guy and an asset to the firearms community.

·
7,741 Posts
I stand corrected, the appearance of the rifle deceived me, yikes!
Tommo,

nah nothing to apologize over. This has just been a big thing in a lot of places & Mark has been getting a lot of undeserved heat.

This was an experimental test with a special made barrel for that ammo. well for what that ammo was SUPPOSED to be. it wasnt authentic SLAP rounds. they were fake.

Then you throw in all the other factors going on & a bunch of internet BS & you get a mess.

This has been a bad deal for Mark & the shooter both. Personally if the shooter can pin down the guy who loaded & passed those of as authentic SLAP rounds? he should try to press charges on him ....... Those are some life changing injuries he sustained & could have been fatal.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dutigaf,

I try not to shoot ammo from someone I do not know. Heard too many stories of guns blowing up with ammo from unknown sources.

·
7,741 Posts
yeah he's been working on this thing for several years now..... if he can ever get it right? id be in for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts