Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
The gas block /front sight looks good. Did you get it with a kit?

It doesn't look like the one from K-var.

Looks like your place is well guarded!

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments!

No Winn, that's a completely custom-built FSB/Gas Block combo! :D

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK74/sight_block.htm

The FSB part came from my AK-103 conversion of my pre-ban Norinco AK, which I discarded the original FSB since the Chinese press-fit them so tightly you can't remove them... that's the original Bulgy '74 vertical gas block... cut to fit with a dremel. Removed the gas block from the rifle, then assembled with a MAPP torch & 1100 degree silver solder. Cleaned up & polished with a dremel. Finished with Duracoat.

I'd do it again without hesitation... I'd buy the two parts from K-Var: the $20 vertical gas block & the $30 front sight block.

I may build me a custom retainer for a muzzle brake by using a 7/8" bolt & drilling out the center, basically making the bottom part of the front sight block. This would be threaded for the standard AK-74 compensator & pinned like normal. I've seen a few other guns with this configuration but honestly as little as this kicks I may not even bother w/ a muzzle brake. Besides, that would be another US-made part I'd have to get to keep the parts count under the limit.

- Jerry

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh! said:
Nice AK103 in the last pic. How do you like the polymer folder?
Love it, its a real blast (no pun intended).

Now that its 70 degrees outside again, I'm going to refinish after I goofed the duracoat the first time around...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/painting/finishing.htm

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/painting/fubar/oops.htm

Got it completely stripped, and this time I'm going to triple-check to be sure all of the oil is *gone*. The oil was sweated from underneath the center support & caused flaking and the rest of the un-cured duracoat peeled off when I used Acetone to degrease. SO... its totally stripped down to bare metal, going to use Naval jelly to give a "pickle" coating, and duracoat again. :D

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
762X54R said:
hcpookie?

Got any guns that are not black? :biggrin:

Nice collection!
Um no. ;)

Actually now that I think about it I do have a collectors-grade 10/22 I got when I was 18... it has a wood stock, does that count?!?

You know, I think I'm going to build one of my '74 kits w/ a good wood set from ironwood & give it the authentic Russain red lacquer look. So "not yet" :p

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
hcpookie said:
Um no. ;)

Actually now that I think about it I do have a collectors-grade 10/22 I got when I was 18... it has a wood stock, does that count?!?

You know, I think I'm going to build one of my '74 kits w/ a good wood set from ironwood & give it the authentic Russain red lacquer look. So "not yet" :p

Well heck! You need one of those Butler Creek folding stocks for that 1022 to make it fit in with the big dogs! :rockin:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Some of mine and I guess I'm coming out of the closet. Some of you will recognize one of my guns.

Here is the finished product of the AK in the pic above.

My Ohio Rapid Fire AK

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice pics! OK so THAT is what wood on a gun looks like :p

One thing that makes that collection stand out, is that you don't have to spend a fortune in mags. I try to have 10 mags for each gun and that gets up into several hundred dollars at the end of the day. Still don't have enough AR or UZI mags :(

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
hcpookie said:
...Still don't have enough AR or UZI mags :(
hc,

I wouldn't say that,
That C-mag all by it's self, is enough :notworthy

54R,

That's the first pic I've seen of that one finished. It came out great.
But I'm afraid you might be right about tipping your hand.
I've never seen another one like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts