Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was driving on I-75 crossing from Cincinnati into Covington Kentucky on the highway bridge and some guy just stepped in front of his car and he had no chance. 1 AM in the middle of the highway on the bridge, the cops said the guys was probably trying to commit suicide or high on something.

My co-worker is really messed up and I feel really bad for him. He's like a zombie today which is to be expected to say the least. The media made it out like it was a hit and run because he got off at the exit right as he hit the guy and pulled into a parking lot to gather himself up. He went and found the cops after a little while later. He's really upset about it, but no charges have been filed against him. He wasn't drinking either, so his breathalizer was 0.00.

I was in shock when he just started babbling about it this morning. A first I thought he was joking.

It's just so F'ed up......

·
1,763 Posts
I've been there, I didn't actually kill the guy but I caused a severe problem for both him and I .
In Dallas there is a Tollroad that runs north and south thru town. If one has a "tolltag" you can just pass thru the toll plaza without stopping to put the money in. (I have one) A few years back, It was raining ever so slightly and while passing thru the plaza a worker walked from behind the booth where the toll worker sits and collects money into my lane of travel. I impacted him with enough force for him to cause over $5000 damage to my truck. He came thru the windshield and deposited his pen, the remainder of his sweetened coffee and splatters of his blood.
The force was sufficient to knock him forward 175 feet. He was broken up really bad. I thought he would pass away right there in front of my eyes. The paramedics showed up, I was holding the IV bag praying that he would be OK.
He was care-flighted via Helicopter to a local Hospital. I went to see him in the hospital, once.
Overall the experience was horrorific and he was extremely lucky to have survived. I was traveling about 35 and I as well as most "toll-tag" holders usually go thru the booths at 50-60. If it weren't for the small shower I would have been going faster and I am sure he would have been killed.

The accident report cited 2 faults: pedestrian failure to yeild right of way and my speeding.(10 thru the plaza, although everyone speeds thru it) In Texas a ped always is in the right. I was not cited but my insurance claim was maxed to the limit of coverage.
It was terrible, I think of his face now....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dang, that's rough.

If the guy was committing suicide, that's a selfish way to go. Probably gonna haunt your buddy for the rest of his life...

Shawn

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's a shame, something similar happened to a friend back in high school. A depressed woman left a bar claiming she was going to kill herself, climbed the fence onto I-70 and my buddy was the unlucky soul who hit and killed her. I haven't seen him in years but I know it really bothered him, I'll bet it still does.

Even when it's beyond your control it has to be a horrible feeling. I distinctly recall running over a little girl's kitten as she stood watching. That was 20 long years ago and it still bothers me.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
About 20 years ago a guy jumped from the upper deck at Riverfront Stadium to his death in the lower level blue seats.

He landed just about on a co-worker of mine who was there in our company seats with his 2 young boys.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A guy I worked with a few years back that had grown up in the 60's had a buddy who had been the star of the football team. He had a scholarship and went to play footballl at Leehigh I think.

He got hurt and his career was over for good in college. He went out on to I-70 near Wheeling West Virginia, got down in a 3 point tackle stance on the highway and charged into oncoming traffic. He was killed by a car that hit him.

No telling what someone will do to commit suicide.

I talked with my co-worker again a little while ago and he is going to see a counselor tomorrow night. Been keeping track of him today and making sure he's okay. We're both smokers, so I've been making sure to go down outside with him on each brake. He's looking a little better than he did at 9AM this mornng.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Try and encourage him to get back to a normal routine as soon as possible.

Having a set routine (work sleep eat) helps to maintain a sense of normalcy and that a sense that this incident will not be the end of his life.

No doubt the event will stay with him forever, but dwelling on it will not help.

Don't let him watch or read the news. THEY ALWAYS GET IT WRONG.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Triangle 66 said:
Try and encourage him to get back to a normal routine as soon as possible.

Having a set routine (work sleep eat) helps to maintain a sense of normalcy and that a sense that this incident will not be the end of his life.

No doubt the event will stay with him forever, but dwelling on it will not help.

Don't let him watch or read the news. THEY ALWAYS GET IT WRONG.
Sound advice there for sure. And those last two sentences, truer words have never been spoken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts