Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Homa was born on April 22, 1905 in Oklahoma Indian Territory. He was the son of William Henry Reece and Ora Lee Sockwell. He grew up on a farm near Snyder in what is now Kiowa County. He married Artie Jewel Simpson on February 26, 1927 in Snyder. He worked most of his life as an auto mechanic.
Homa served in the U.S. Army Air Corp - enlisted July 9, 1924 at Oklahoma City - stationed in the Philippine Islands - discharged November 10, 1925 at Ft. McDowell, California. He had a pilot's license at one time. He made his solo flight after two and one-half hours of instruction. He was an amateur radio operator (call letters W5KTX).
Homa built the first radio in Kiowa County, Oklahoma. He built it from a kit which he ordered. He was an electronics genius. Ham operators with degrees in Electrical Engineering would come to Homa when they had a problem that they couldn't solve. He once fixed an X-Ray machine at Methodist Hospital in Lubbock, Texas after the company representatives had failed to solve the problem. He was offered a job teaching PRACTICAL ELECTRONICS at Texas A & M University which he declined. Pretty good for a farm boy with an 8th grade education.

BTW: Grandma was adopted by the Sockwell family, she was born Tamara Lupoloff.:) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes,damn good for a farm boy with an 8th grade education.

Sometimes the best education is life itself and isn't learned from a book or school.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Helps explain why you're such an outstanding person, Roy.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AClay47 said:
Helps explain why you're such an outstanding person, Roy.
Now my face is red, I don't know what to say to that except thanks. I am pretty much just an average guy that had a loving family and more than I needed of a lot of things I've had and a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cephus said:
I love to see the history of this country through the eyes of those who lived it.THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING THIS.
My Mom will be 101 years old in Feb. She was the daughter of a baptist preacher and went to Oklahoma from Missouri in a covered wagon. She still lives in an apartment by herself and is sharpe as a tack. I could sit and listen to her talk for hours. From covered wagons to space flight, she has seen a lot.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very cool pic and I remember seeing it before. I ought to scan in my GGgrandfather's pic of him in his Uniform circa 1917. He was an immigrant and joined the service at 16 to go to France.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Roy, thank you for sharing with us. I for one take great pride in people like your Mom and Dad. Your dad sounds like the American story. I think if more people had families like yours there would be no promblems in this country. Thank you for the honor you shared with us. Jack

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Lupeloff said:
My Mom will be 101 years old in Feb.
And I bet she is still the boss! Great story Lupeloff.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Something about being a pilot and a "sparky" that goes hand in hand.

You've got good genes Lupe. He looked very, very young in that picture BTW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts