Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard. Nothing real serious, but they are running some tests on his heart to make sure. I'd appreciate any kind thoughts or prayers you can send my way.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher.........prayers sent my friend.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know how much they'll mean coming from a heathen like me, but prayers sent.

Hope everything comes out A-OK....

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words folks. I know a little more know. He was having a little discomfort in his chest. He took a tumble down some steps a day or two ago and he thought what he was feeling might be from that but he wanted to make sure. Which is good news to me and I'll tell you why.

About 5 years ago he had a pair of very slight heart attacks. And looking back and the risk of sounding cold-hearted, it's the best thing that ever happened to him. There was no damage done to his heart, but it did open his eyes. He started taking better care of himself. He was on blood pressure meds, but would only take them every once in a while instead of every day like the doc told him. He'd wait until it went sky high and pop a couple pills to bring it back down. Tried talking to him about it, but he could give stubborn lessons to a mule. Now he takes his meds regularly, and if he has any discomfort he goes and gets himself checked in a hurry. He's now in the "Better Safe than Sorry" mood instead of "This will go away" mood he used to have.

They are going to keep him over night as a precautionary measure and have an EKG on him. But all the early testing they've ran so far is negative on heart problems. He's 72, and I could tell right away that DorGunR was in his age group. Some of your expressions and saying remind me so much of my Dad.

I'm going over to see him for a little while. I'll post when I get back.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
He's 72, and I could tell right away that DorGunR was in his age group. Some of your expressions and saying remind me so much of my Dad.
I'm going over to see him for a little while. I'll post when I get back.
Preacher, your dad and I are the same age. I hope you have good news to post when you return from the hospital.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Prayer sent Preacher....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Your family will be included in our family prayers. Hope everything turns out to be ok.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well this has been a strange turn of events. My brother calls me a little after 3:30 and told me about my Dad. So I get ready to go to the hospital. As I'm going out the door, I figured it would be a good idea to call the hospital for his room number. They tell me he's been released. It turns out that he drove himself over last night and never told anyone. My neice had a birthday party yesterday and he seemed fine. I guess he started home from that and decided to go to the VA. He called my brother to tell him he was on his way home and my brother thought he was on his way over to the hospital. The docs wouldn't tell me anything other than he had just been released.

Once again, Thanks to my Gunco Family for the Support.

I'm gonna be waiting for him when he pulls in the driveway.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Preacher I'll say a prayer for your dad. I'm glad to hear he takes symptoms seriously as there are too many men that just let things go. I've lost a couple of friends because they wouldn't go to the doc when they knew something wasn't right.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Prayers sent Preacher.

Your Dad sounds a lot like me, but I've learned the semi hard way to listen to the Docs also! (Even if I do think they're full of____!)

I used to do the same with the BP meds, now I take 'em every day ..... and complain about them every day too.

Best wishes for your Dad!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well my Dad stopped by on his way home and he's fine. I was going to lock horns with him for not letting us know, but I didn't. Wouldn't have done any good. The docs changed his BP meds, and want him to come back in a week to see how things are going. For the medical folks here, his enzyme levels were fine, so I guess that means no heart attack. His BP had been high for a day or two and they think that's what was causing him his discomfort.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Tell him he better take his meds. I had discomfort in my chest and went for a stress test(treadmill EKG) on Dec 6th, 2004. They put me in the hospital that day and did a quintuple cardiac bypass on the 7th of Dec. These things are nothing to brush aside lightly. Your dad needs to take his meds and always check out the discomfort in his chest. I'll pray for him tonight just as so many prayed for me last month. Good luck and good health to your dad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts