Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The receivers finally came today from Joeken from the group buy. I managed to put most of this together in the last couple of hours except for the fire control group and final installation of the buttstock. It's a Polish kit from Global on a Vulcan receiver. I'm using button head machine screws for my first build. The front trunion holes lined up perfectly and it only took about a half hour to drill/tap and install the trunion. The barrel I pressed in with my good old BFH, a 55 lb anvil and a couple of peices of wood. Didn't even scratch the finish. The barrel pin installation went similarly well. The rear fixed stock trunion is going to be a problem since the holes don't seem to line up very well. I should be able to egg them out a little for a good fit though.

The only problem that I'm having so far is that the bottom of the bolt catches on the top of the magazine. I've tried all six of my mags and it's an identical problem. I'm not sure whether to take off a couple thousandths from my bolt or to try taking off a little bit of the mag catch lever. Anyone have a similar problem?

I think on my second build I'll try Hotbarrel's bucking bar and install some rivets. Probably make that one into a folder.

Here's a link to a pic of my gun so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's not catching on the mag. The reason it operates freely with no mag is the bolt can rotate by the left side rail. When a mag is inserted, the lips on the top of the mag hold the bolt straight up and down, causing it to hit the left rail. The left rail is longer than necessary because it is a universal for any caliber. If you try to charge the handle with the dust cover taken off and a mag inserted, you'll be able to see it. it just takes a little grinding on the left rail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, but I'm not really seeing what you mean. Does metal need to come off of the inside edge of the lower left rail? Is this edge forward of the ejector? Or are you talking about the ejector itself? The lower left rail doesn't seem to be touching the bolt at all, with or without the mag. However the ejector seems to be riding along the bolt freely.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Is this a common problem with this type of build?

·
Registered
15 Posts
there is a cutout in the left side of the bolt where the rail cuts in to hit the back of the shell casing to eject the empty cartrige. A 7.62 build on one of these recievers requires that rail not to jut as far out into the middle of the reciever, because it tries to cut too deep into the bolt, which causes it to bind with a mag in place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so it's the case ejector that is too wide. I'll take a look at that and see if removing a bit of metal from it improves function.

redneck_riveter said:
also, it looks nice, where did you get the buttstock?
Thanks, It's an original Polish AKM buttstock that is sold by a guy over on AK-47.net in the buy/sell forum. I think he charges around $50 for it. The finish on it is a bit more satin than the handguards. I'll probably refinish all the wood with some tung oil anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help on this redneck_riveter!!

I believe that your suggestion said exactly what the problem was. The gun seems to function perfectly well and I'll all set for a range test - as soon as I get some US parts that is.

(.):nanabang:(.)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
thanks for the photo. looks like very nice work. Hay I am glad to hear you allready have another one in the works.

ps LOVE your background

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks cammer, hope it works good for you. Just keep in mind the tip of the rail might need some hardening because sometimes only the tip was properly hardened and you had to trim it back a bit. I make a mess when I do it with the oil but it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts