Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 3 of my closest friends wanting me to build them an AMD. My only concern about the whole thing is them doing something stupid later on down the road. I mean, I trust them just dont know in the long run. I told them I would, but they have to help me with the builds. That way, if someone ever said anything they could say they built it, not me. What would you all do?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
mbadboyz said:
I have about 3 of my closest friends wanting me to build them an AMD. My only concern about the whole thing is them doing something stupid later on down the road. I mean, I trust them just dont know in the long run. I told them I would, but they have to help me with the builds. That way, if someone ever said anything they could say they built it, not me. What would you all do?
EEESSSH, tough one. How old are they? Do they act goofy when it comes to weapons? Depression in any of them?

I was in a similar boat with my brother, but in his case there are some VERY good reasons for me not to even think about letting build anything with my tools. Lets just say he doesn't have a right to own one anymore because of some really stupid crap he did when he was a kid. I told him NO, NO WAY. He was pissed at me I think for a while but I think he got over it. The only way I would even consider anything close to it is if I gave his wife a rifle, and I don't think she'd go for that so its a mute point. I feel bad for him, he's actually a very upstanding citizen (now and for a long time)and I think has a right to protect his home and family, but I don't want to be married to a guy named Bubba for the next ten years.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Couple of suggestions: They sould buy the receiver as a result it is registered in their names, they should buy the kit and have it delivered to their address, they should assist in the built perhaps, doing it as you show them what to do, they should head space check, not you. If you are thinking that you really are not doing anything but showing how to build then you are right. I would not make a weapon for anyone unless I had the license to do so along with the insurance to cover me if I get sued.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
scubadvr said:
Couple of suggestions: They sould buy the receiver as a result it is registered in their names, they should buy the kit and have it delivered to their address, they should assist in the built perhaps, doing it as you show them what to do, they should head space check, not you. If you are thinking that you really are not doing anything but showing how to build then you are right. I would not make a weapon for anyone unless I had the license to do so along with the insurance to cover me if I get sued.
That's a great way to go Jack.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Polish Taipan said:
I don't want to be married to a guy named Bubba for the next ten years.
Hrm - free food, plenty of time to exercise, and all the free sex you could ask for.

I don't know, doesn't sound too bad to me

:sick:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hcpookie said:
Hrm - free food, plenty of time to exercise, and all the free sex you could ask for.

I don't know, doesn't sound too bad to me

:sick:
Lol...you all!

Thanks for the advice. I will talk with my friends and have a little discussion with them. Its really easy with 2 of them, they work with me and they are both 25 years old. All I am going to do is assist in the building of these. Only thing is I have the tools for all the bending. Maybe I can lease them out to them or something. The more I think about it, I dont want involved.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I think you are making the right decision. 1st If they build 'em you don't have to worry and 2nd we all know they will enjoy and appreciate them much more if they build them themselves.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That seems to come up on a regular basis with me. To date I have swerved everyone off on it. I am a mechanic and if you let people do it to you they will be beating down your door for free advise and repairs. I find that building firearms and gunsmithing in general is much the same. I put a lot of hours into the guns I build or refinish and I really do not want to spend that kind of time on someone else's stuff and have to be compromised by their schedule. Building, riveting, welding (if necc.), pressing, head spacing , bead blasting, parkerizing, painting, and working all of the bugs out. We all know it is a lot of work to get one of these kits and receivers back together and looking like it should. So long as you are willing to commit the amount of time and effort required to do it then I would simply adhere to what Jack said and make sure that all of your U.S. parts are in and where they should be and have a good time. Any way you do it I would definitely insist on them building upon a registered receiver and not a flat that you pressed in your garage. It can be done legally, but it is a gray area that could put you in the spot light with Johnny Law. I keep all of my stuff on the up and up but that does not mean that I want to bring that kind of scrutiny into my life, thank you very much. It could be your best friend in the whole entire world and when he realizes that he may have to miss his kids growing up while he sits in a federal pen or he gives you up as the guy who built/helped him build an AMD, he's going to give you up in a heart beat. So just be careful with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a mechanic and if you let people do it to you they will be beating down your door for free advise and repairs.
I had the same problem when I used to build computers for friends. What a nightmare that was!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Helios said:
I had the same problem when I used to build computers for friends. What a nightmare that was!
Now see I could use a buddy that was computer savy so I could abuse the hell out of that relationship :D :D. Seriously though, it sounds like you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of computers........Can you build me one? J/K! I know what you mean. Im leaning towards letting my best friend come over and let him build his own with my equipment. I told him he will have to purchase the kit himself and I will only help him. He's on his own. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts