Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hazardous, but, kinda pretty:

A shrub in my front yard with a light behind it.

A flower trellis all covered in ice:

And, my yard and everything else has a coat of ice about 1/4" to 1/2" thick:

But by dawns early light, I could see my flag is still here: :)

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Beautiful pics Pogo...........but as you said, dangerous beauty. Happy to hear that you still have power.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Custer said:
Go ahead. Rub it in.

Typcial Floridian.
It ain't my fault you guys live up North.....My AC is on and I'm hot!

See pictutres of my backyard just 2 minutes ago:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Those are nice pictures Pogo! Stay safe! We had about a foot of snow. I hate them both, but it's much easier to maneuver the car through snow than ice. I hope they got the roads cleared for you, that looks pretty nasty.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sandy said:
Those are nice pictures Pogo! Stay safe! We had about a foot of snow. I hate them both, but it's much easier to maneuver the car through snow than ice. I hope they got the roads cleared for you, that looks pretty nasty.
Some roads are cleared, some not. And, there is the problem. People will drive along getting good traction on roads that's been salted and sanded then turn down a road that's nothing but a sheet of ice.

Tree limbs are breaking off and power lines are sagging. Everything is covered with ice. I was looking at my favorite red tail hawk while ago and he looked really confused.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Makes me glad that we are missing the snow and ice after our big one. They say we might see some of this stuff come the next few days though.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Pogo said:
Some roads are cleared, some not. And, there is the problem. People will drive along getting good traction on roads that's been salted and sanded then turn down a road that's nothing but a sheet of ice.

Yep, that is extremely dangerous. Sometimes you can't even see the ice because the ground is wet. I hate ice, it looks pretty on everything, but is very dangerous. Our power lines snapped last year when we had an ice storm, as well as limbs and such. As I said, I hate the snow, but at least you can get around. The kids had their very first fishtail ride this morning ;). I wanted to take them to do donuts but couldn't find an empty parking lot. I'm sure the school just loves me. :D

It's starting to warm up here (near O'Hare), so hopefully it start warming that way too and get rid of some of that ice. Stay safe!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Beautiful pics Pogo!!! :thankyou:
And Sandy that black ice on the road is the worst!! I lived all over the south and Pacific North West till I was 12 and then my father moved us to Hoffman Estates Ill. and thats when I learned what cold was! We lived there one year and then moved to N.J. but even my time in N.H.,Vermont and a winter in Boston never came close to that winter I spent near Chicago. Brrrrrrr!!!!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything is still iced up. I just went out by my pond, and took a picture.

And, it looks like my fish are doing OK.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It is that kind of stuff that makes living in this tough climate a joy. Sometimes.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Custer said:
It is that kind of stuff that makes living in this tough climate a joy. Sometimes.
Actually, I don't mind it all that much. In fact I do enjoy changes of weather. If I get tired of it I head down Aviator's way for a week or two and then I'm ready to come back. And, in the Summer I'll head up way past where BlueDog lives and spend a bit of time in the UP. I'd be bored stiff if I couldn't experience different seasons.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I miss ice storms NOT!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
aviator said:
It ain't my fault you guys live up North.....My AC is on and I'm hot!

See pictutres of my backyard just 2 minutes ago:
It's 61 here and I'm not complaining. I got my fill of snow over the holidays in MI. Sure am glad to be back home (Here it was in the 70's last week and early this week :D ).

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heck, it's starting to snow now, on top of the ice. It's a coming down at a pretty good clip. Should make for an interesting trip home for those going home from work tonight.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Pogo said:
Heck, it's starting to snow now, on top of the ice. It's a coming down at a pretty good clip. Should make for an interesting trip home for those going home from work tonight.
Gonna be like "bumper cars" at a carnival.:eek:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
And Sandy that black ice on the road is the worst!! I lived all over the south and Pacific North West till I was 12 and then my father moved us to Hoffman Estates Ill. and thats when I learned what cold was! We lived there one year and then moved to N.J. but even my time in N.H.,Vermont and a winter in Boston never came close to that winter I spent near Chicago. Brrrrrrr!!!!

I'm not far from Hoffman Estates. :D However, our winters used to be much worse than this. I can remember getting a good week off for snow days. Now a days, the kids don't even know what a snow day is. Global warming. ;)

Pogo, those pictures are beautiful! Glad the fishy's are ok! :D

I took my niece out in the yard, this is her first time in the snow. She liked it a little but didn't like the fact everytime she walked, she fell. :D Tried pulling her in a sled, she couldn't sit up with the snow clothes on and started crying LOL However, she liked to help me shovel! We did good there. I'm waiting for the older ones to get home from school then they can make a snowman. Here's some pics of a few hours ago in my yard....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts