Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During range sessions for my concealed carry qualification, we were required to shoot 21 rounds into a target at 3 and 7 yards away.

During this session, we had an initial "practice run" to familiarize ourselves with the course and get ready for qualifying. I had more ammo for my Kimber Stainless Target than any other gun I brought, so I decided to practice with it.

As the practice session progressed, people around me began to notice that my target had one ragged hole in the middle. Now, to qualify, the instructors have to count the number of rounds on the target, and 72% of 21 rounds have to be in the "7" or better range.

Since my target had one ragged hole in the center, the instructor, a couple of feet shorter than me, looked at the target, then over at me. With a coy smirk on her face, she came up to me and said, "Do you know how hard it is going to be to count the hits on your target?"

Just to be a smart-aleck, during the actual qualification phase I deliberately aimed at different spots on the target to create a wider dispersion. With a smirk on MY face, I looked at the instructor, and said, "Think you can count those?"

She just smiled. I smiled back and said, "Do you know how hard that was to deliberately create a dispersion pattern?"

I qualified.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm seriously considering a Kimber. I was at the range a few days ago and tried out one of the compact ones they have. It's a 3" barrel and all stainless. Talk about tight friggin' groups!

I do like full sized 1911s, but I noticed that I tend to shoot better with smaller ones; not necessarily the frame size but ones with shorter barrels. What kind of Kimber do you have?

Co7t

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Your breaking my heart man...LOL. I had heard Kimbers shot real well.

I wish they would come out with one with a light rail, before I go and get a Springfield

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Co7t said:
I'm seriously considering a Kimber. I was at the range a few days ago and tried out one of the compact ones they have. It's a 3" barrel and all stainless. Talk about tight friggin' groups!

I do like full sized 1911s, but I noticed that I tend to shoot better with smaller ones; not necessarily the frame size but ones with shorter barrels. What kind of Kimber do you have?

Co7t
It's the Classic Stainless Target. I've heard some negative reviews about the series II Kimbers. Mine is a series I, so I don't have any experience with the series II models. I know mine has a very rough feed ramp, though. It looks like it was machined by a monkey, with definitely visible ridges going across it. I've never shot it with anything but ball ammo, so I don't know how hollowpoints do in it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
They do have one with a rail! I believe the new LAPD version (not sure of the model) comes with or without the accessory rail. I swear, I saw it! :w00t1:

RebFootCav said:
Your breaking my heart man...LOL. I had heard Kimbers shot real well.

I wish they would come out with one with a light rail, before I go and get a Springfield

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Co7t said:
They do have one with a rail! I believe the new LAPD version (not sure of the model) comes with or without the accessory rail. I swear, I saw it! :w00t1:
He's right. GUNS magazine did a write-up recently. Sorry, I already gave it to the big Kimber fan in my shooting club, so I can't go grab it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just visited their web site and reminded myself of the one I tried. It's the SS Ultra Carry II. I am going to rent that a few more times before I make my final descision.

I didn't start as a Kimber fan, primarily because I never really had the chance to try one out. My very first experience with one was awhile back when I rented it at the range. It was poorly maintained (they never clean their guns) so it jammed on every other round and I had a bad time with it. I ended up swapping it with a Springfield, which greatly impressed me.

Now that I've had the chance to try the Kimber again though, my options are open again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just picked up a lnib Classic Custom Target, it's my first Kimber but not my first 1911. The thing locks up like a freakin bank vault. I've not been able to shoot it yet, but by the way it's fit it should shoot like yours ZZ.

I'm glad to see a 1911 area here, aks, 870s and 1911s are my faves:rockin:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pmbiker said:
I just picked up a lnib Classic Custom Target, it's my first Kimber but not my first 1911. The thing locks up like a freakin bank vault. I've not been able to shoot it yet, but by the way it's fit it should shoot like yours ZZ.

I'm glad to see a 1911 area here, aks, 870s and 1911s are my faves:rockin:
Dittos to what you said!

I got mine at a bargain price! I just happened to be in my favorite gun store when a friend of the owner brought in the Kimber trying to sell it. I got it for $550, and even though I could tell by the little bit of firing residue in it that it had been fired, there was NO WEAR that I could see anywhere, even when I took it apart. I don't like the adjustable sight, but, hey, for half the price of a new one...I'll live!

·
Registered
68 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Dittos to what you said!

I got mine at a bargain price! I just happened to be in my favorite gun store when a friend of the owner brought in the Kimber trying to sell it. I got it for $550, and even though I could tell by the little bit of firing residue in it that it had been fired, there was NO WEAR that I could see anywhere, even when I took it apart. I don't like the adjustable sight, but, hey, for half the price of a new one...I'll live!

I paid a little more than that for mine, but I've been looking for a pre-series II in this condition for a while. I've passed on a couple due to outrageous prices or poor condition but I couldn't walk away from this one. If you're not stoked about the sights and want a nice fixed rear, Heinie makes one that fits the adjustable sight cut.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pmbiker said:
I paid a little more than that for mine, but I've been looking for a pre-series II in this condition for a while. I've passed on a couple due to outrageous prices or poor condition but I couldn't walk away from this one. If you're not stoked about the sights and want a nice fixed rear, Heinie makes one that fits the adjustable sight cut.

That looks cool! I'll have to try out your link to heinie www.heinie.com

That looks like just what I'm looking for!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got an Ultra CDP II and a Kimber Tactical (Fullsize) love em both. They shoot better than I do, which I guess is probably a good thing. I've had no problem with my series II pistols, and think the real problems are few and far between, just subject to a lot of hype.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lysander said:
I've got an Ultra CDP II and a Kimber Tactical (Fullsize) love em both. They shoot better than I do, which I guess is probably a good thing. I've had no problem with my series II pistols, and think the real problems are few and far between, just subject to a lot of hype.
Most of the problems I've heard of are centered around the tolerance stacking of the series II safety. If the arm on the grip safety is on the short side of the tolerance and the piece inside the frame or the one inside the slide are on the short side, the safety may not disengage. Or if it works it takes a death grip on the grip safety to make it work. Some have reported having to make room to allow the grip safety to travel further in order to allow it to disengage the firing pin safety. If yours doesn't have those specific shortcomings, it will work as designed.

If I have a choice in the matter(and I do)I'll take mine without the possible series II safety issues. I'm glad yours works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts