Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished another amd 63 today. I decided to put a under folder on it because the stock that came with my kit was badly damaged. It has a homemade reciever, stock semi auto foriegn fcg, polish underfolder and a amd 65 brake on it. The six U.S. parts are reciever, gas piston, pistol grips, floor plate, mag follower. I haven't silver soldered the brake on yet, because I think I have to put an american brake on this to get my count.Does the front pistol grip count as a part when you are still using the stock heat sheild??????? I can easily pic up 3 more american parts by changing out the fcg but I like to retain the foriegn because I don't get the trigger slap and I like the quality of the parts. ak'sr4me

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
that is a nice looking build . I think the front grip IS a countable part. you may want to consiter getting a G2 fcg anyway. it will give you three more US parts and is a clear upgrade. Another good point of changeing out the FCG is useing the follower and floorplate as countable parts require you to allways be shur you use a mag with them and when the mag is out yuo do not have enough US parts in the gun. I know the law says they are all rite to use BUT I personaly would allways wonder what if??? What if I left the gun without the mag in it and ATF came and looked at it. What happens when I pull out the mag to refill it, my count is off. Again I know the law counts them but I allways feel it is safer to use parts that are perminatly installed. Again Just my oppinion better extra safe than sorry.
have you fired it yet??

HAY a second idea is if you use a US FCG you will have enough parts that you will not need to buy a US brake. That will save you at least $10. so your G2 will be like 20 with the 10 saveings, rite. another good point is the brake has a ser number on it mine is matching so it is nice to keep it original..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have made some very good point's, hotbarrel. Thanks for your help. I haven't fired it yet because the brake isn't welded on yet. I don't want it confiscated by the "boys" because I couldn't wait to permantely fix the brake. I have a couple of other projects going on right now, 2 amd 65's to keep me busy along with finishing my pole barn so I will wait till everything is legal before I test them. Oh what a fun day that will be. I have a thousand rounds being delivered shortly so my town better get their ear plugs out. I just retired from Ford's on the 1st of July and quite frankly, I don't no how I ever found the time to work. ak'sr4me

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
aksr4me,

Nice looking build.

The front PG does not count, you need to replace the entire forearm with a US made part in order for it to count.

If you use a G2 FCG as suggested, you would be able to keep the rest as is, and also be able to keep your AMD brake, and also be able to use any mag, including a drum.

As far as trigger slap in US made triggers goes, it is only the cheap POS Century that has that problem, the G2 is sweet.

Welcome to the forum.

Max

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
That's a slick looking build on the 63 there. I've been trying to decided what I want to do for furniture on my 63 and 65 builds. The original look is cool, but then again I have this urge to do something custom so as not to build a cookie cutter gun.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to order a couple of G2's from DPH. Thanks for the info. I never thought about it but you are right. With the floor plate and magfollower builds I can not use a drum on any of my builds unless I go american on the fcg. I will go ahead and weld the 65 brake on now and wait for my trigger groups. Thanks. ak'sr4me

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You are burning through these builds ak'sr4me! And they aren't bought receivers either. I don't think I've seen a -63 with a folder. I do like it though, especially with the front pistol grip. Where did you get a spare folder? I may have to get with you on how to install it as I have a Polish that I need to start soon. What kind of American brake are you looking for? There is a guy that sells one, use to be on ebay for a while I think. It was an extended length and would get you legal on a -65 without an extension. I liked the looks of it and it was different, but would break my bank. I will probably use the stock brake like you.

I too like the idea of being able to keep the stock fcg, especially to save money. I'd like to see a combo of american parts that gets you to the legal count but includes the stock fcg. But, the total cost of the count would be less than if you replaced the stock fcg with a US along with the other required parts to get you to the count.

I never thought about not being able to use a drum. The drums have followers too right? I guess there isn't a floorplate. So could you get one US part by replacing only the follower? I generally like to replace everything but these for many of the reasons that hotbarrel mentioned. You'd always have to be paranoid about what you've got in your hands and how many of this and that does it have. I will be overseeing a few friends of mine in a week or so with a build. With them, the costs are a pretty big deciding factor. They don't have any other Ak's or mags and I may recommend to them to replace the floorplate and follower for the sole fact that they probably will never have another AK and will only shoot the built gun with a mag or two.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
7.62x39
thank you for clearifying about the front grip. I would have counted the grip. I did not realize the entire thing had to be U.S. I guess just the grip in NOT the "forend" .
Thanks

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
What kind of American brake are you looking for? There is a guy that sells one, use to be on ebay for a while I think. It was an extended length and would get you legal on a -65 without an extension. I liked the looks of it and it was different, but would break my bank. I will probably use the stock brake like you.
(quote edited).

Are you looking for a brake like this

This is a moses AMD brake and he has them listed at http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yosuthnmasa and 7.62 I borrowed the underfolder from a polish kit I have on hand. I ordered 2 kits and have only built one so far. I think on the kit I borrowed it from i am going to find a standard trunion for a wood stock and try my hand at making the stock. When I built my house a couple of years ago I had to cut down about 150 trees and have quite a few logs of cherry, ash, oak and walnut laying around. As far as the parts count and what is the best way to go is mainly hinged on whether you plan on retaining the original furniture. I haven't got a kit yet that i liked the furniture that came with it. They usually don't match or are damaged in some way. When I change the buttstock, pistol grip and forearm set that is 3 parts. The reciever is the 4th, gas piston the 5th, and magfollower 6th. This allows me to retain the stock fcg and still use 30 and 40 round mags. I don't own a drum so I don't know if the follower in the drum is the same as the magazines. Can someone give me this information? I throw in a us made or homemade floor plate for extra margin and I think I am legal. Again, please correct me if I am wrong. I can also go with a us brake if needed. Is this method the cheapest. I think not. If you go with a us fcg it is by far cheaper, and you can use the stock furniture. With my last 2 builds I have screwed up. The polish underfolder that I put the choate draginuov style stock and forearm set on caused me to loose one US part that I usually depend on. The rear pistol grip. Even with the us mag follower and floor plate I am one us part short. I was counting the front grips as 2 parts and & 7.62 has made it clear that it counts as only one part. Thank you 7.62. You may have just saved me a trip to club fed. I will start putting g2's in all my builds from now on. ak'sr4me

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sniper 69 I like that brake you gave me the link to. looks cool as hell, even though I don't need the extra length. I have ordered a couple of g2's to correct my parts count on the last 2 builds so I think I will just go with the amd 65 for this one, but I am going to pick up 2 of them for my 2 amd 65 kits that i am working on now. Thanks. You guys have been very helpful to me since I have joined and I would like to thank all of you. I am just a newbee who maybee should listen more and speak less. ak'sr4me

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
ak'sr4me said:
I don't own a drum so I don't know if the follower in the drum is the same as the magazines. Can someone give me this information?
Sorry, not even close, totally different design.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Sniper, that's the one. It is nice, but a bit pricey for me. I'm sure something like his brake had a lot of time and money involved in it and is worth every penny too. I read the thread on the other board and never considered some of the things that were suggested about having an extension and brake. I wish I could afford the Moses brake.

This whole issue on the follower and floorplate for a drum interests me. I don't know how often people go and shoot their drums, but this might be an opportunity out there. How hard would it be to manufacture a follower for a drum? If it was US made, would it count? Is there anything equivalent to a floorplate in a drum that could be counted as a US part if substituted out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts