Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know damn well that this thread does not belong in this forum, but Im putting it here anyway just so I can brag.

Just bought it today!

Izznt she purty?
She's a stainless birdshead Ruger Vaquero in Colt .45 with Black Micarta grips and a 4 5/8" barrel. One of only 500.

I actually went in to buy a S&W .38 snubby, but this was only $30 more!

Unfortunately, I cant pick it up for another 7 biznis days because I've been too lazy to get my CWP.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Nice red X, DB.

Sounds like a very very nice piece, and sounds like you must have gotten it at a very good price. Colt .45 means .45 Long Colt, right?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
That's a great choice. I considered getting a pair of Birdshead Vaqueros but I've got very large hands and they were just too small for me. I bought a pair of the regular grip Vaqueros in .45 LC with a 5 1/2" barrel. They are made really nice. Great fit and finish. I bought the blued ones with case hardened frames.

The reason for the red X is because he is attempting to post a pic from Auction Arms, and you have to be signed on to view the pic sometimes. Other times it will post just fine.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Nice red X, DB.

Sounds like a very very nice piece, and sounds like you must have gotten it at a very good price. Colt .45 means .45 Long Colt, right?

Red X? Not for me. Try googling it for a pic of your own.
it was $433, NIB, after applicable sales tax. I think the MSRP is something zany like $575.
Yep. .45 Long Colt.

Lemme try to find a pic that isnt hosted by jerks. Ill be back in a min...

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
AuctionArms has a strange photo hosting setup. Sometimes you will see it if you aren't signed on, sometimes you won't. I never could figure it out. :dunno:

If you can't see it, here's another picture from Davidsons:

Still a nice gun DB. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pretty sure that Brownell's sells birdshead revolver frames for the Vaquero in brass & steel.

Buddy of mine is so much into birdshead grips that he's ground the frames of S&W double-actions into birdshead configuration.

Nice toy!!!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Smeg, yer right. They do sell birdshead frames. I've always liked the looks of them. Just too small for my hands though.

Edited to add:That Ruger Vaquero frame is one of the strongest revolver frames made. Almost as strong as a S&W L frame. You can load up some mighty potent 45 LC rounds and shoot them in that baby. :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Pogo said:
That Ruger Vaquero frame is one of the strongest revolver frames made. Almost as strong as a S&W L frame. You can load up some mighty potent 45 LC rounds and shoot them in that baby. :D
Yep, but you won't be using that hand for much in the next 30 minutes or so after a couple of cylinders. The birdshead grips can be punishing IF they don't fit your hands.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Had the pleasure of shooting a standard-frame stainless Vaquero a couple of years ago. I think it was in .357 mag. Like all Ruger revolvers a bit too bulky for my tastes, but a really really nice weapon.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Here's my newest toy. I picked it up from the American Police Hall of Fame and Museum's gun range yesterday. Mines in about the same condition as the one in the pic. She shoots like new though :D

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Pic is showing up for me as well folks. Nice one DB!!

Added: Congrats also Randy!!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy, I had the opportunity to buy that exact same .38 at another store, and that first store had it in three different barrel lengths. But I was initially shopping for a .38 snubby, and while I was at that first store, some kid walked in wanting to know how much his Remington Wingmaster was worth and the bastard shopkeep told him $75 tops. (It was in damn fine shape, too!) So I knew they shopkeep right there (Because I just picked up a Remmy Express Magnum and am fairly up-to-date on Shotty prices) was a complete shyster and wanted nothing to do with the fucker. (Sports shack)
So I drove up the road to the next gunshop, and lo and behold the same kid walks in and asks how much his shotty was worth, and the second shopkeep was honest and told the kid exactly what a Wingmaster will fetch. (Larry's Guns)
Im looking at their Snubbies and in the case next to the S&W .38 ultralight, I see this shining beauty and it is only $30 more. Geez, what to do? So I enquire about the piece and find its only 1 of 500, I even asked him to document his claim and he did, on the spot.
Well, shee-yit! I wrote a check on the spot, too!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
A firearm like that carrys real well in a shoulder holster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts