Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 8 years we have had a barred owl living in our yard.

We never see him in the summer as he seems to live deeper in the woods that time of year but hear him almost every night in the early evening. He has some guttural calls but mostly he can be identified by the call that sounds like
"who cooks for you".

Every fall, just about Halloween, he appears in a large white pine tree just to the side of our house where we can watch him out of the window. He will sit there for a day or two and then move 50 feet to a very old but dead oak a couple feet off my property line. Once in a while he will be missing from both spots for a day or two and then returns to his normal haunts. This keeps up until about late March and he then heads back into the deep woods and we only hear him. I've looked for him down there but never spotted him.

One time he was being attacked by 4-5 large crows in my back yard. They had knocked him to the ground and I had to go out and rescue him from them. I've since read they are mortal enemies.

This year he did not appear at Halloween and we thought he was either dead or had moved on. He showed up New Years Eve day and is now back to his old habits.

Sounds kind of dumb but my wife are happy to see him and get a lot of pleasure keeping an eye out for him. We nicknamed him Moby because like the story, we are always searching for him.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
We have an owl that comes by and "gives a hoot" every now and then, mostly in winter months. I've never seen him though.

We have a couple of red tail hawks that have a nest about 50 yards from our back door. It's interesting to hear them call each other when one is out hunting.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Thats too cool Custer. I love reading posts about animals that people appreciate without having to put a hole in them. I particularly love watching birds of prey.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But for the fact that my wife first saw the owls incredible wingspan swoop across the back yard, I don't think we would ever have seen him. He blends in incredibly well and you have to know where to look.

She has taken a lot of pictures of him over the years although a lot of them are when he first came around and had not quite yet established his rigid habits. He will let you get very close and just gives you that superior looking stare.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Owls are incredicble creatures. We had a huge one come around our house every night. We named him Hootie--how original I know....lol His wingspan was absolutely incredible--he wasn't all that friendly and would normally run if we stepped outside, so we never got any pics, but he always made his presence known. If we couldn't see or hear him--we would call for him and he'd answer almost instantly. We were always afraid to let the little dogs outside at night, cuz of course they are birds of prey....

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife will call him during the summer and he almost always answers back.

Of course, she gets a lot of ribbing for it.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
My parents have a Mockingbird that comes by every day to admire himself in the windows and try to fly in to get to himself. They refer to him as their window cleaner. They get worried when he doesn't come by and thrilled when he brings a friend :lol:

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
The owls on the outskirts of Tucson and well know for taking smaller house cats, LMAO.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We spent years analyzing the hummingbirds.....we had tons of those feeders. One flew into the pciture window and knocked himself out. Being the bird lovers we fetched the bird before he became a cat's dinner, put the bird in the cage and when he came back to reality--that was one unhappy bird. His wings made an awesome noise, but he was far from pleasant......lol He wouldn't cooperate and come through the little bird door--we had to take the cage apart to let him out.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Owls and Red Tail hawks are really cool..........wish I had one close to my house.........Custer you and Pogo are fortunate to have those beautiful birds close enough to you that you can enjoy watching them.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randy said:
My parents have a Mockingbird that comes by every day to admire himself in the windows and try to fly in to get to himself. They refer to him as their window cleaner. They get worried when he doesn't come by and thrilled when he brings a friend :lol:
We have a male cardinal that does this just about everyday.
Looks in the windows off of our deck and flys into the screen trying to chase his rival off. This is the second or maybe third year we have watched him.

My son dubbed him the "retardinal".

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
I will tell you this story....

I have a uncle that raises roosters, well chickens and he raises turkeys too.
He had serous problems with a owl eating up all the young ones (forgot what he called the young birds)

The owl would swoop down and pick a bird up, and land on top of this telephone pole to eat.
So my uncle was drinking one night and came up with this idea.
It took a bear trap (small version) and put it up on top of the pole with a dead chick in it.
The owl swooped down and landed on top of the pole.
The jaws of the trap snapped shut.
The owl still ate the dead chick and then flew off.
My uncle was like WTF.
So he climbs up the pole and guess what he finds.
A pair of owl feet (claws).
The trap cut them off at the knee (so to speak).
The owl didn't even flinch or anything.

To this day that same owl is attacking his birds with peg-legs.

Go figure.

He felt bad the next day so he put rubber on the jaws.
This way he traps the owls, not hurts them...

This story may be fact or fiction. The names may of been changed...

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
A few years ago, I planted some real small trees in my back yard. And my dog was chewing them off. So I drove four wooden stakes in the ground and surrounded the little trees with chicken wire.

One morning my wife and I were drinking coffee at the kitchen table and looking out the window. And we saw a big red tail hawk swoop down after a sparrow. The sparrow dove into the little cage around the little trees, with the red tail right behind. The red tail went in head first but couldn't turn around, and was caught.

I went out to my shop and got a big pair of leather welding gloves and grabbed the red tail. He was quite mad. I held him for a few pictures, then I released him. :biggrin:

My wife got the camera out and took a picture of me holding the hawk. It was before we had a digital camera, so it's a regular print.

I'm going to try to find that picture of me holding that red tail and scan it and post it.

p.s. The sparrow must have had that planned. He flew out the bottom of the cage and escaped, leaving the hawk trapped. :D

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Sparrows are [size=-1]trecherous birds. :)[/size]

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I was hoogidity boogitying along a dirt road in BFE New Mexico one night and came up over a small rise and spooked up a pair of Praire Owls eating a dead rabbit in the road. One got away but the second skipped off my front fender and got stuck in the framework of the drivers mirror on the truck. I stopped and pulled on a pair of gloves and extricated him from the mirror mount. He struggled a bit and got loose from me, flew a pitiful half circle around and went head on into the side of the bed and knocked himself dead out.

I grabbed him up again and threw him into a Playmate cooler I had with me. The poor thing was out for hours. I was working security for a seismograph company so I was out in the truck for the night. When he woke up he was one pissed off little owl. As long as it was dark in the truck he was fine. If I turned on the interior light he got a severe attitude and would swell up and make a gawd awful screeching/hissing noise and stayed crammed way back in the corner of the cooler.

There were some survey stakes in the truck and I figured he might be happier sitting on the dash. I set the stake up and fished him out of the cooler. He was happier and was OK with me picking him up on the stick and talking to him, as long as it was in the dark. Anytime I turned that light on he did the swell up and scream thing at me. We spent the night together checking each other out. He was a pretty cool little bird, extremely curious. Somewhere in all the crap I've accumulated I have 2 rolls of black and white prints I took that night.

On my way back to town the next morning I released him in the same area I'd snagged him at. He only flew about 10 yards away and watched me leave. I think he had as much and adventure that night as I did. :D

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Crows and hawks are also enemies. And as far as the wingspan of an owl goes, try calling one at night. I was roosting gobblers one night for turkey season(also a pair of birds that don't like each other). You use an owl call to locate gobblers at dusk and then hunt them the next morning. Gobblers will respond to an owl call while they are on the roost and won't be suspicous because it's a natural sound. Well, owls also respond to owl calls. I'm roosting one night and I hear this Swooosh . I look to see what it was and it looked like a 747 with claws coming at me. Didn't actually get close enough to touch me, but I could've touched him with a broom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts