Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:lamo:

Norton Antivirus finally detected a worm which infected my computer in January, or earlier. It was called BeagleA, and it used my PC to send bogus emails. I knew something was wrong, because I have been notified of email failures to addresses where I never sent one. One recent email was to Drudge, so I figure there may be a left-wing agenda to this hijacking of my computer and email identification.

NAV provided a tool to remove the thing, which I'm doing right now. I don't know why it hasn't been detected earlier. I've kept my NAV definitions updated.

This is a heads-up thread. If I have it, others using Windows likely have it, too.
PS - I can't say when the computer was infected, but it is an older worm (Jan 04).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
here is a good suggestion . put the address [email protected] in your address book. a work or viris will try to send emails out of your address book . [email protected] will be the first one and you will get a failure notice rite away. anytime you get a failure notice on [email protected] you know their is trouble. sometimes this will even stop the viris from sending out more. easy and effective.

·
Registered
273 Posts
old school trick there .but it still works for alot of the autoemail wyrms

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at my NAV Threat Alert log. Jeeeezus, there have been dozens of attempted Trojan Virus infections in the past couple of months! That's sort of scary.

I'm running several anti-Adware Programs, and I routinely detect and remove spyware and adware. I use two free programs: Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot and also Spy Sweeper, which is commercial. Anyone who does not have an anti-virus program should immediately download AVG, which is free for home use: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From CBS News (01/19/04) -

A new computer worm capable of collecting e-mail addresses from unsuspecting computer users is spreading across the World Wide Web.

The worm, know both as "Beagle" and "Bagle" launches itself when e-mail users click on a message attachment.

It then searches the infected computer for e-mail addresses and uses a built-in mail program to send itself to new victims.

Beagle also sets up a secret access to the infected computer that hackers could use to control the machine. That would enable hackers to put the computer to work sending out spam messages.

The mass-mailing worm, which is programmed to stop working after Jan. 28, affects most computers with Windows operating systems. It does not work on machines that use the Macintosh or Linux operating systems.

Virus-detection firms rate Beagle as a medium threat, since it does no serious damage and is easy to contain. Most up-to-date virus-detection software will remove it.

There is a free Beagle worm checker and remover offered by Spychecker at: http://www.spychecker.com/program/beagleremover.html

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have goback and my system reverts everytime I shutdown. I save NOUTHING !! I addad goback when I got the computer and the drive should be basicaly the same as the day I added goback. If I want to save emails I have to print them but that is the only downfall. I know I have had issues in the past and all I do is shutdown and restart just like new!!!! even the defrag stays the same .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Norton Anti Virus also screens my email.

BUT ...

Your antivirus protection is only as good as your definitions. You can get an infection if your software has not yet been provided a definition for the virus.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I use AVG and Zone Alarm fire wall. I still wonder whats slowing my computer down?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get spyware. See my post above. Spy-bot is free and pretty darn good. Antvirus software does not detect or remove most adware and spyware. Zone Alarm is a good firewall, but it does not remove anything. I have it, but still get spyware and adware almost every internet session.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Ok, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I just ran their scan and I'm proud to say I am beagle/bagle free.

I have Norton and update every couple days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts