Just in from Krebs.

My current investment in this build is
$450 for kit
$60 for receiver
$330 for modifications and refinish
TOTAL COST $840

I am gonna modify the selector some more
Link the left to the right.

Yeah, got alot of money invested in it, but basically there are only a couple built like it in the country.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
That's sweet!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Since I have "DIAL-UP" I have been waiting 20 minutes for the pictures to be seen, still only half way there. These are the "BIGGEST" pictures I've seen. Maybe they would cover the state of Texas.

To help those of us without cable or DSL could you make the pictures a little smaller so we don't have to wait a week to see them...Thanks.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Well that made me Drool!! I sure hope the rumors of more of these coming soon are true!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Congrats. That is one fine looking tantal. I have seen a few pics of built Tantals over the past couple of years. I heard some time back that Global Trades imported a bunch of kits. They seemed to dry up and never re-appear.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rod M1 said:
The lever is the selector for full auto, single shot, and 3-shot burst
correct

On the tantal the right selector is Safe/Fire
The left is for single/3 round/ full

On a standard AK the right selector is for Safe/semi/full, well most are.

Sorry for the dial up boys......

·
Registered
100 Posts
Planning on building a Tantal soon.
Question:
Is your left side selector for "looks only" ? or how can you make one in semi-auto only.
Is it linked to the right side selector ?
Global is offering to make recievers without the selector holes so you can make the lower hole for the Tantals. They will not assist with the left side selector setup however due to BATF restrictions on select fire alterations.
I just want a correct looking setup. Functionality of both selectors in semi-auto only would be a big plus.
If you have any tips ect willing to share it would be appreciated by many.
Thanks.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES, looks only. That rifle is SA only
No it is not linked

According to a opinion of Marc Krebs, owner of Krebs Customs, it is illegal to drill the hole in the left hand side of the receiver in the proper place for the left hand selector.
This is because it will allow the installation of the 3rd burst mechinism.

I am gonna take some measurements of the modifications and post them on here.

I just looked at my receipt today for the tantal work.
That was $300.00 including finish

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Very nice. Im jealous! I cant wait to get my latest kits so I can start them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey DrugRunR- That's one good lookin' Tantal. I am going to have Krebs do some work for me in the very near future, not sure if I want them to do a refinish or not. How would you say the Krebs finish compares to the Russian phosphate under bake on black?

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The finish isn't bad, BUT if I had to do it again I would do something different.

If you park you gun, and paint it with the applaince bake enamel it will be the EXACT same color and texture of the Russian akm's

·
Registered
954 Posts
DrugRunR said:
The finish isn't bad, BUT if I had to do it again I would do something different.

If you park you gun, and paint it with the applaince bake enamel it will be the EXACT same color and texture of the Russian akm's
This sounds pretty standard fair, but who would you recommend doing this? Seems like all the net AK smiths either use Park or thier own super expensive 'better than anything ever' finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts