Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Navy SEALs Sue Associated Press Over Iraq Photos
Tue Dec 28, 2004 03:58 PM ET
javascript:commonPopup('printerFrie...toryID=7194313', 540, 525, 1, 'printerPopup')

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Six Navy SEAL special operations commandos and the wives of two of them sued The Associated Press and one of its reporters on Tuesday for publishing photos taken from a Web site that appeared to show the SEALs abusing prisoners in Iraq. The suit, filed in San Diego Superior Court, said the pictures did not depict abuse and instead put the lives of the soldiers at risk by exposing their faces to the world.

"We haven't been served yet, so we haven't seen the complaint," said Associated Press attorney Dave Tomlin, who is representing the news agency and reporter Seth Hettena. "But we believe AP's use of the photos and the manner in which they were obtained were entirely lawful and proper."

The plaintiffs are identified only as "Six Navy SEALs and Two Jane Does," and the suit indicates they have been allowed to file anonymously by court order.

"By failing to conceal the identities of the Navy SEALs, Defendants Seth Hettena and the AP have jeopardized the lives of Plaintiffs Six Navy Seals and their families, as well as compromised their future missions and careers," the suit said.

An AP reporter discovered the photos, posted on the picture-sharing site Smugmug.com, during research on another set of photos that purportedly showed Navy SEALs abusing detainees.

Confronted with the photos, the Navy said recently it launched an investigation. The plaintiffs said in their suit that the photos depicted regular special operations techniques and did not show abuse.

Jane Doe One, the lawsuit said, stored the photos on Smugmug.com, among a collection of personal photographs. The suit said the two Jane Does are wives of two of the SEALs, members of the elite Navy force Sea-Air-Land.

The AP reported that the unnamed woman said the photos came from her husband, who brought them from Iraq after his tour of duty. But the suit denies that that was the case, or that she told the AP as much.

Distributed around the world, the AP reported the photos showed Navy SEALs sitting on hooded and bound detainees, holding a gun to a detainee's bloodied head, and placing a boot on the chest of a prone man.

Other photos showed grinning U.S. personnel sitting or lying atop three hooded prisoners in the bed of a pickup truck.

The Dec. 3 AP story quoted a spokesman for the Naval Special Warfare Command as saying some of the photos could put the lives of the SEALs at risk.

The suit, which claims invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress, seeks damages and an injunction barring further distribution of the photos.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
The ACLU believes in privacy. Do you think they are representing the Seals?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I have no idea how successful the lawsuit will be. But, I sure hope they can somehow really put the hurt to the news media. And, I mean a really, really big financial hurt.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Frogville, has a long standing dislike for the media.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The identities of Navy SEALS are protected and one must obtain prior permission before publishing photos of SEALS in action - whether the action is good or bad?

Pretty weird. When did that start?

Wonder if the cops who beat up Rodney King are going to sue because their identity was made known to the public when the video was broadcast.

Wonder if folks who publish photos of SEALS engaged in heroic acts now will be sued.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Don't see any similarity in Mr. King and folks trying to kill you in a combat zone.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Don't see any similarity in Mr. King and folks trying to kill you in a combat zone.
Clearly you never lived in LA.

More seriously...

Is there something that prohibits taking photos of SEALS in a combat zone, then? Does it - if it exists - apply only to SEALS, or to all special ops branches? Or does it apply to all military personnel? I've never seen or heard of a photographer running around in a battlefield asking soldiers to sign a model's release prior to release of a photo.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Only 20 years.

Can't answer your question about photos.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think they have a leg to stand on........first off they or one their wives put their pictures on a public web sharing access site.......where is the expected privacy in that? second of all if they or their wives were concerned about being exposed as SEAL, then why put their pictures on said site???? common sense here, if you want your identity keep secret, you don't go plastering your mug on a public access site.........honestly I don't see where they have a legit legal argument about the "expected privacy issue".....once you put anything in the public domain, where is the expected privacy to that?

if you ask me, it's the fault of the person, either one of the SEAL guys, or the wife that put them in jepordy by plastering their faces for all to see.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts, but I gotta tell you, I don't think they have a snowball chance in hell of winning any privacy issue.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Only 20 years.

Can't answer your question about photos.
You endured 20 years in LA? My deepest condolences. I grew up there, I fled as a young man in the early 70's. Paradise when I was a kid, awful by the time I left. I have heard rumors that the past 30 years have not been kind to LA.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
You endured 20 years in LA? My deepest condolences. I grew up there, I fled as a young man in the early 70's. Paradise when I was a kid, awful by the time I left. I have heard rumors that the past 30 years have not been kind to LA.
The rumors are correct...........I lived in Orange County from 1985 until 2001 and I was very happy to leave the area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts