Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my DSA STG58A. It has a fake Stoll muzzle brake (about 5" long) and the threads are near the front. I heated it up to dull red with my mapp/oxy torch but it didn't budge. I ran out of oxygen so I won't be able to to try again till tomorrow, but in the mean time does anyone have any advice or ideas?
Thanks
Trent

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
sory to say but ... heat her back up is about it. if you are not going to use the part again maby some force with a vice grip. or a screw driver through a hole in it. to get it started. I am shure you did that anyway. buy More o2

·
Registered
625 Posts
Better contact DSA and ask if they also pinned the damn thing, I?ve heard some companies did that so there wouldn?t be any problems with the law.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I had a AR15 barrel from Bushmaster and the muzzle brake was blind pinned and the pin was soldered. I had to chuck the barrel in a lathe and cut the area where the pin was. The pin was "REAL HARD MATERIAL" (couldn't drill it out) and it was a job that I wouldn't want to do again. Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
LOOK ON THE BOTTOM of the brake for a "spongy" area... you may very well have a "pin and weld" job. If so, it's actually not that hard to get off - you WILL sacrifice the brake in doing this. Contact DSA with your serial number, and they can likely tell you what was done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
IIRC DSA used S-I-L-V-E-R solder , MAPP gas is not hot enough to melt the solder. DSA applied the solder and stuck the muzzle break and muzzle into a furnace melting the solder.

Silver solder melts @ 1100 degrees.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Triangle I thought that's what it was but I didn't know they used a furnace, I guess I''ll try mapp and O2 tomorrow again but try and heat the whole muzzle brake up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it is silver soldiered MAPP gas will get hot enough. Heat while applying rotational press on the brake. Remember rightie loosey in this case...left hand threads.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Triangle 66 said:
IIRC DSA used S-I-L-V-E-R solder , MAPP gas is not hot enough to melt the solder. DSA applied the solder and stuck the muzzle break and muzzle into a furnace melting the solder.

Silver solder melts @ 1100 degrees.
Not correct. MAPP will melt 1100 degree silver solder no problem.

·
Registered
681 Posts
MAPP is hot shit... you just might have to leave the heat on a little longer, but will heat bright orange/yellow hot. I have brazed steel with mapp alone, and the flux-coated rod had a working temp of 1600 degrees.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Yeah you have to heat it cherry-red, and it will just start to turn orange. Using it in this application, you'll want to get some heat-paste from Brownell's and wrap everything in a wet towel to disperse heat better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts