Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished pressing the pin out of the barrel...Which was pretty simple.
But the problem that I ran into was getting the barrel out.
I did manage to remove the barrel, But hacking away at it kind of marred up ONE side of the breach or outer housing of the barrel that I've indicated in the pic below.
My question is.....After I dress it up with the trusty drimel is this going to effect the head space or pressure of the barrel chamber? Or keep it from locking?
Everything else is ok, And like I said it's only (ONE) side of the corner in the pic. from hammering the barrel out with loose change "literally".
It's actually the corner of the groove that's all.
This is not my barrel in the pic, It's just a reference.
Thanks alot,

·
Registered
704 Posts
Shouldnt hurt anything as long as the face of the breach is level with the rest of the barrel.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Someone posted a pic of how to dremel a bolt head for removal of a barrel. I havent tried it yet but looks like it would work well. I think this is it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That does look like it would work good or maybe make one up out of brass. I use a couple of pennys and a carriage bolt.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've saved this pic on my computer.
I wish I would have used this method before I hammered my barrel out. I kind of mared the ejector slot with the penny thing on one edge. But I think every thing will be ok.
Much thanks to those that replyed to my post when needed.
I speak for myself on this one, But you guys are like a family to me.
Thanks every one,
-Shadow- :thankyou:

·
Registered
135 Posts
What did you use to press out the barrel pin. I keep bending every thing that I try to press the pin out with. I must have a stubborn pin.

Thanks T M:thankyou:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check this out,
Get 3 peices of scrap 3/4" (Oak) plywood say 3" by 4" screw them together on each end using any type of 3" deck screw or anything that will hold. Drill a hole in the center of the block of wood using a 3/8" or 1/2" paddle bit or drill bit. (None of this is precise), just bigger than the pin itself.
Now get a 3/8"x3" (Stainless steel hex bolt) and grind approx. 1 1/2" up on the bolt threads untill smooth the same size or a tad bit smaller then the pin itself.
Using a standard size heavy duty bench vise, Clamp the trunion/Barrel & trunion in the vise wth the block of oak alligned with the hole that you drilled facing on the outside of the trunion where the pin is to be pushed through protecting the trunion. You're going to need another set of hands to help hold the bolt against the pin on the other side. Line up and level the bolt on the other side inbetween the vise. Just snug it a little so that the bolt doesn't go flying out when you start tightning the vise. Once the pin, Block of oak, trunion are alligned and set in the vise, start with firm pressure. Once you feel that the pin and trunion are set in to place. Clamp down on the vise with as much pressure as humanly possable. If it doesn't break loose right away, don't worry it will. Take a hammer and tapp the handle on the vise to tighten untill it does. It should pop loose with ease. Once the pin is broke loose. Take it out of the vise and turn the block of wood down on a hard surface, use a punch to drive it out. Use a little WD-40 to help ease the pin. Important: Make sure that the sight block and anything else is clear when you press. Sorry no pics.
Hope this helps,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am,
I'm not exactly sure what post that you are refering too.
But to answer your question. The kit that I'm building is the AK-(74) model. And the Russian finish, I'm not to sure about.....I create my own.
Let me know if you need any help, I'll be glad to do what I can. That's what where all here for. Right?
-Shadow-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts