Gunco Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Being new I need lots of info. like where do I start. I would like to build my own ak but I'm not sure about the correct kits or types that would be easyer than others. can kits for milled be used or do they have to be for stamped? Too many questions. Screw or rivet?

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
WElcome here, stamped kits at recomended fore the shear affordablity fo the build. Scott at DPH ARMS has some stamped Blugy74 kist Bocefus has some AMD kits as well as others do, the are cheap and easy Other than that there seems to only be mis matched kits and milled kit out there. Other than that you are looking at buying a Wasr-10 hi-cap kit for about 350ish tax and
all.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
dbblett said:
Hello, Being new I need lots of info. like where do I start. I would like to build my own ak but I'm not sure about the correct kits or types that would be easyer than others. can kits for milled be used or do they have to be for stamped? Too many questions. Screw or rivet?
Go to the "Library" and "Machine Shop". There's a lot of information on "how to" and "what do I need".

After that, do a search about a specific items your interested in. Oh, I almost forgot...WELCOME

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome!! Just remember that once you start you will NOT build just 0ne...... :headspin: :headspin: :headspin:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
erikk said:
Welcome!! Just remember that once you start you will NOT build just 0ne...... :headspin: :headspin: :headspin:
Yeah, what he said. Welcome dbblet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, although I don't seem to be able to access that web site from hcpookie it just may be the location I'm in so I'll keep trying till I get home. I do have access to many full auto receivers here and most are milled russian for treaded barrels (too bad I cant bring them home). I also wanted to know if threaded barrels were easier to replace and do the parts kit barrels come threaded that way. I have access to lots of small parts but no barrels, trunnions or stocks. Any info or suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Man that sucks that they won't let you bring any parts home. It would be cool if you could just shitcan the receivers and bring your "parts kits" home with you. Most parts kits you see out there right now are for stamped receivers, except some of the MAK 90 kits you see that are for milled receivers. I would have to say that the stamped kits are easier, (as far as I have seen) and MUCH cheaper to buy a stamped receiver as opposed to a milled receiver. I personally fold my own receivers which lately I have been buying for less than $13 each. If you can't take the stock tangs, furniture, trunions or barrels I don't see what parts it would be worth taking. You can't use the fire control groups unless you are going to build a full auto, and that only leaves you the shepherd's hooks, selector levers and top covers etc that you can take. I would just buy a nice AMD 65 kit or one of the recently arrived AK 47 kits that Inter Ordinance has for my first kit. I have already built a couple of AMD 65s and am now working on my first AK 74 kit. The kits are all easy to build especially if you have access to hcpookies site or the tutorial on ACE's site. Good luck and stay safe.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
dbblett,

Presume you're on a military network? My website seems to be hard to reach if you are accessing from a military network due to the port I chose - 61129. Did that way back when, to keep those damned worms from infecting it.

THEREFORE - I am testing a new site configuration. Try this link and post if it works or not:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org/

or:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:80

Hope this works for you. If you see the Happy Camper's tent you got it! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info from all. I am on a Mil network and still cannot access pookieweb so I'll just have to wait till I get home. I still have alot of research to do and this site has the best info available thanks again to all.
dbb

·
Registered
83 Posts
When you get back, what state will that be? There seem to be several of us in NC and GA.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Holy Moly, if there was some way....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome to the family!
Just like "Erikk" said, "You won't just build one". It's an addiction for which there is no cure. Oh, I almost forgot If you're married. I hope she has a lot of patients with you for building.
Get a very comfortable couch....Just incase. J/K.
-Shadow-

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ill bet some of the brass brings that stuff home.Who the hell would dare to tell them they cant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts