Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i am building on a vulcan for an amd63. i have the mock up done and it has been going smoothly. i plan on heattreating the ejector and fcg holes.

i need a few more and want some opinions from people that used them.

i am between oow and vulcan. every post i read on them is like a roller coaster. good/bad no real winner.

i want a 100% reciever. how are the oow's to work with?

anyone else to get a vulcan from besides joeken??? i dont feel like putting up with there shit.

thanks in advance for the help

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The general consensus is over all a better receiver.

They have two points that need to be addressed.
Some complain about the selector/top cover gap but at least you know you wont have to weld up your selector tip.

Other have complained about it being to long.
It is supposed to be, the front should be trimmed after you locate your trunnion.

They seem to have better hardening, I've been hearing about problems with the Vulcan ejectors

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I may just have been lucky, but I built 2 AMD65s on OOW receivers.. The first needed no trimming, the sencond only took a few passes with a file to trim up..

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of using OOW, but have used hesse and vulcan. As for where I bought my receivers from, I bought my hesse from an individual out of state so it had to go through my ffl, for the vulcans I bought them from Aren Dela (dsspro is his username at gunsnet, I'm not sure if he is a member here or not). They cost more through Aren than they would have from Joeken - but I had my vulcan receivers within 7 days of Aren receiving my payment and ffl transfer info. Funny thing is that the hesse hasn't had some of the problems that the vulcans have (even though they are same company different name, different time), and it is always a good idea to reharden the ejector on them just to be sure. As for the OOW receivers, I have handled them and they looked good - just haven't built on them or formed an opinion on them.

Sometimes you can find a FEG receiver or a krinks receiver - but those are usually from someone looking to sell from their stash.

To bad there aren't some 100% receivers imported from Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, wherever currently.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My last build was a "Vulcan/Hesse" (Polish 47), I really don't have that much to say about them, except that the ejector wasn't hardened and the front trunion holes were misplaced. It took a little more work to "Aneall" (or harden) the steel and make the trunion holes line up but so far I've had no trouble on the range....Yet.
If you know what to expect it's not that bad. But I would opt for the o.o.w since the holes in the trunion vary from make to model. The material has been treated so that's one less thing to worry about. Most people that talk bad about the "Vulcan/Hesse" are expecting to build with little or no problem in mind on there receivers. But like I said, I kind of new what to expect.
I'm going to try the "Global trades" Bulgarian receiver on my new 74 build, I'll let you know how it goes.
Remember......"You get what you pay for", but "You don't always pay for what you get". If that makes any since.
HTH,
-Shadow-

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
I have heard good things about the GT receivers...especially the built up ones... Currently GT makes the 1.6mm recievers so you MUST shave your trunions, which isn't a huge deal. You can even send them to GT to be shaved. If you use the build up receiver this is not a problem. They should have their 1mm reciever out soon is the word on the ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts