Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the parts together to convert my Saiga 7.62 to an AK-104 with the 90 degree front sight base/gas block combo and traditional polymer AK handguards.

All of the other AK's I own are either VEPR's or Saigas, so I don't have any reference for makeing a groove to attach the lower handguard retainer on the barrel.

Can someone remove the lower handguard from their AK and take a picture of the groove in the barrel that the handguard retainer mounts to? Also, could you measure the distance from the trunion/reciever to the groove?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It measures 5 7/8' TO 7 1/8" from the front trunion.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks droog, that is exactly what I'm looking for. It looks like I could replicate the groove with a small round file on my Saiga's barrel. Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think I may have got my wires crossed here . The measurements listed are for the grooves on the sides the groove on the top is 6 1/2" to the center of the groove from the trunion and yes that one you can do with a chainsaw file the slots on the side can be cut with a Dremel and a cut off wheel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think the grooves in the sides are for AMD's only, i'm not sure though, all i have to compare is my Norinco and a couple AMD 65's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I examined my Saiga's barrel and it already has the square grooves on the sides so I will just have to make a small groove on top with a round file. I hope it's not too hard.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The pic I posted is of a Sar 1 and as far as I know they all have the side slots to keep the handguard from twisting.On the last pistol barrel I made I did all the grooves with a dremel.I used a round diamond coated stone to make the groove on top but a chainsaw file works good too. The barrel steel isnt really all that hard. Soft compared to the trunion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know, because I've already had to drill through the trunion to tap and thread in a feed ramp, so I know how tough that metal is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you going to make the cut before you get your lower handguard and retainer? I would wait until you have the parts, then cut the groove once they are fitted and you can see where to do it. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
droog said:
The pic I posted is of a Sar 1 and as far as I know they all have the side slots to keep the handguard from twisting.On the last pistol barrel I made I did all the grooves with a dremel.I used a round diamond coated stone to make the groove on top but a chainsaw file works good too. The barrel steel isnt really all that hard. Soft compared to the trunion.
thanks, i saw the sling on the retainer and thought it was an AMD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts