Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
A good friend of mine uses this stuff almost exclusively in his mini 30, and swears by it. From experience with his Ruger, it shoots as accurately or more so than the wolf or barnaul, and is alot cleaner.
:rockin:
good stuff...

I'll have to ask where he got it...
I'd be willing to bet that he paid alot more than $69/1k!!!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
amdburner said:
It's not on their site today!
your right, I looked all over and unless my eyes are deceiving me, it isn't on there. And the wierd thing was I saw it on there yeterday. Wonder who bought it all or maybe it is being moved to another part of the site.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Who makes it? What's the country of origin?
It is made in Russia at the Vympel Plant.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Okay, I'm hijacking this thread to Russia.

Nobody moves and nobody gets hurt! :rofl:

I have a serious question:

Is all Russian ammo basically the same or do you REALLY get different quality depending on whether it's Wolf, or Barnaul, or whatever?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It is a great deal but I don't normally order ammo from AIM.

I have to pay shipping (or drive there) plus Ohio sales tax (7%)

By time I add it all up, I can do just as well and usually a bit better at a local gun show. My out the door price for 7.62 is usually 75-80 bucks and it also helps me lower the cost of other calibers I need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not all russian ammo is the same.

Don't think about brands-- they market ammo from differnet plants sometimes under the same brand.

I have exactly the outer box that was shown in the AIM advert, but completely different "brand" of ammo.

Go by plants.

That's the way to shop for Russian Ammo. Barnaul is good a lot of people say... I think Uly is good too.

I could be wrong, thoughh-- it could be differnet customers order different qualities of ammo from the same plant... but I'm assuming where it really matters (quality control to avoid damaging your rifle) the quality of the plant is what you want to look for.

Tula has a spotty reputation (they make wolf).

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don Galt said:
Not all russian ammo is the same.

Don't think about brands-- they market ammo from differnet plants sometimes under the same brand.

I have exactly the outer box that was shown in the AIM advert, but completely different "brand" of ammo.

Go by plants.

That's the way to shop for Russian Ammo. Barnaul is good a lot of people say... I think Uly is good too.

I could be wrong, thoughh-- it could be differnet customers order different qualities of ammo from the same plant... but I'm assuming where it really matters (quality control to avoid damaging your rifle) the quality of the plant is what you want to look for.

Tula has a spotty reputation (they make wolf).
Okay, so we have Tula, Ulyanovsk, any others? Any surefire way to tell which is which or do you have to know the headstamps and/or check the box?

·
Registered
10 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Okay, so we have Tula, Ulyanovsk, any others? Any surefire way to tell which is which or do you have to know the headstamps and/or check the box?
Tula / TCW / Wolf < All the same entity

Ulyanovsk < Marketed in the US by Zanders Sporting Goods under "Bear" and "Sapsan" brands

Klimovsk < Marketed in the US by Zanders, same general tradenames as Uly.

Barnaul < Distributed in the US by Dan's Sporting Goods

Vympel < Distributed in the US by Lew Horton under the "Golden Tiger" brand

Novosibirsk / LVE / Low Voltage Electric < The ubiquitous "Green Box" ammo seen in 9x17, 9x18, 7.62x54R. They may market 7.62x39 but I am unaware of any, and the tradename under which it is marketed.

Each has a distinctive logo which is usually included in the headstamp, but a couple of these are very similar and you must look closely with a glass to differentiate them. The log also appears on the 20 (7.62) and 30 rd (5.45) cartons.

Hope this helps; there may be others.

·
Registered
621 Posts
BRS, do you know which ones are preferable and which are to be avoided?

I used to have a Romanian SAR-1 in which the bolt face got badly flame-cut by a leaky primer. I never could prove it was Wolf, but it had to either be Wolf or 1990's Chicom surplus, since that's all I ever shot in that rifle before a friend of mine talked me out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've fired some from all, and have had not problems. I really like the Vympel Golden Tiger and Barnaul because the groups tend to be 0.5 to 1.0 MOA tighter in a couple of my guns. You will hear some guys say "it's all the same" and to an extent they are correct, IMO.

Also, IMO it would take more than one leaky primer to flame cut a bolt face. The thermodynamics of that process dictate needing to heat a comparatively large mass with a small but admittedly hot flame. That says it would take way more than one bad primer. As an example, look l how long it takes a revolver topstrap to flamecut.

When a primer pops, you get smoke pouring from under the top cover; has that happened to you a lot?

BRS

·
Registered
621 Posts
BRS said:
I've fired some from all, and have had not problems. I really like the Vympel Golden Tiger and Barnaul because the groups tend to be 0.5 to 1.0 MOA tighter in a couple of my guns. You will hear some guys say "it's all the same" and to an extent they are correct, IMO.

Also, IMO it would take more than one leaky primer to flame cut a bolt face. The thermodynamics of that process dictate needing to heat a comparatively large mass with a small but admittedly hot flame. That says it would take way more than one bad primer. As an example, look l how long it takes a revolver topstrap to flamecut.

When a primer pops, you get smoke pouring from under the top cover; has that happened to you a lot?

BRS
No, I don't recall seeing smoke coming from the receiver area.

If I read you correctly, what you're saying is that maybe I had to have shot quite a few rounds with leaky primers to flame cut the bolt, right?

All I remember is that there was a half-moon groove etched around about half of the firing pin hole at approximately where the gap between the primer and the cartridge head would be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts