Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone let me know what to expect on the "Global trades" receiver?
I know it says that it comes with instructions on how to mill the trunion down to the thickness, but do you guys have any tricks?
I'm assuming it's really not that hard, I'm just looking for ideas of what to expect.
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
well you will need to mill of .6mm off each side of both trunions. prety much that is it.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Just keep in mind that it is the trunnion that orientates the barrel, so it must be milled accurately, parallel and square.
A couple of thousands off at the trunnion, will be a bunch off at the muzzle.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
shadow, you should of waited.
Jimmy said by christmas the 1.0MM will be out.
That will be PERFECT.
All stamped AK's are made on a 1.0mm receiver.
OOW receivers are 1.1. The little difference doesn't matter much.
But this new 1.0mm receiver will be perfect in every way.
The selector will be in the proper place.
It will be completely hardened

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know but like kevin said the newer 1.0's have the crows feet instead of the standard dimples which to me looks silly. But to each his own right?
-Shadow-

·
Registered
124 Posts
When the 1.0mm Globals come out I'll probably buy a couple, but I think the 1.6mm will still be the ultimate stamped receiver. I've built 3 so far and they are my favorite "store bought".

I use a 3 inch grinding disk in my chinese mini-mill to rough thin the trunions, then finish with a light clean up pass with an end mill. If you don't have the tools, I think it could be done with grinder, dremel, files - and lots of care and patience. Trunions are hard. You could always send in your trunion for Global to thin for you for $12. The rear trunion is a piece of cake to do with a belt sander - no need to worry about it.

You will have to thin the upper rails where they fit into the trunion grooves - or widen the grooves. I widen the grooves with a slitting saw on a mill. The Global instructions are good, you can do this with a file.

If you dimple your countersunk rivet holes (you should), make sure to support the receiver on the inside when you do it. It takes alot of oomph to countersink dimple 1.6mm.

The "dimple" controversy is kind of strange to me. People seem to think that because the magwell dimple doesn't match a FEG (Hungarian), it isn't in spec. There are a bunch of different dimple shapes - FEG is only one of them and it isn't really "average". Because there are a bunch of authentic dimple shapes, in order to be "accurate" to an anal degree, you would have to have a bunch of receiver models based on dimples. I sort of doubt that Jimmy is going to tool up to make an exact reproduction of every obscure dimple variant.

s & p

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spray,
How exactly did you measure the thickness on both sides while taking it down to specs.? Did you just grind then calibrate than grind alittle more? Do you have some sort of trick to this to be precise?
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a dial indicator on my mill table. It isn't that hard to get the measurements more than accurate enough. You need to thin the width approximately .023" - that is about .011" off each side. The exact measurement is the width measurement inside-to-inside at the floor of the receiver. It may vary a couple thousandths receiver-to-receiver.

You remove the calculated amount off of one side, remeasure the trunion width at multiple spots to assure accuracy, then take the remainder off the other side. It is easy to measure with a cheap dial caliper. I don't think it would be any big deal to be a few thousandths off center - i.e. take a bit more off one side than another. You want the thickness right, and the sides smooth and parallel. You couldn't possibly see a few thousandths off center, there is more slop than that in the action by an order of magnitude, and the sights are fixed to the barrel, so they won't be effected. I'm not advocating being sloppy, I just trying to inspire confidence because it isn't rocket science.

s & p

here's a pic of one of my global builds, a Plum Bulgy 74 with a much older wood Bulgy 74 built on a bent metal. Neither one has been finish painted yet - I'm lazy. :bawling: The old woodie has a bunch of trouble free rounds through it, but I'm about to take it apart for parts to build an underfolder on a Global. The plum Global '74 has about 500 rounds and has yet to hiccup yet. It is the best '74 I've built so far :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had ordered 3 receivers from them, they frigged up my order, and I had to resend my FFL. then they told me a date, and went beyond it by 2-1/2 weeks. I called to cancel, and then somebody else called me back shortly after saying they could have them out "tomorrow". I said no thanks. I may have to give them another chance, because I do believe that they would build into a hell of a gun.
By the way... those look awesome, even if they are unfinished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts