Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on your Forum and I must say, you guys have a lot of good information here! After reading many of the past threads, I decided that I need to build me an AK type rifle; I decided that I wanted the AMD-65. I have built 1919A4 guns in the past, so an AK could not be that difficult I thought.

My excellent condition AMD-65 kit arrived 26 May, and the Marsh Hawk receiver arrived 27 May. I started building on 28 May and had it complete 30 May. So far, I guess it has about 18-20 hours in the build. If functions perfectly, but I have not gotten to the range yet for a trail run with live ammo. The most difficult part was removing the old rivits from the front trunnion, but I did get them out without damaging the barrrel. Drilling all the holes in the receiver for the screws took most of the first day as I did measure each hole even with the template attached. The top and bottom rails are polished and really make for a "slick" action. The magazine well opening is precision cut, and the mags have almost zero wobble. All my mags do fit, but you must start them in straight.

The information for building this rifle was done using the search engine and reading almost all the threads on this Forum. I just wanted to thank all you guys for the help you have given me in completing this project, even though you were not aware of it. My next one is the AMD-63; the kit should arrive today, now I need to order another receiver and then get....................

Thanks again for all the help!
Abwehr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
:useless:
Abwehr said:
This is my first post on your Forum and I must say, you guys have a lot of good information here! After reading many of the past threads, I decided that I need to build me an AK type rifle; I decided that I wanted the AMD-65. I have built 1919A4 guns in the past, so an AK could not be that difficult I thought.

My excellent condition AMD-65 kit arrived 26 May, and the Marsh Hawk receiver arrived 27 May. I started building on 28 May and had it complete 30 May. So far, I guess it has about 18-20 hours in the build. If functions perfectly, but I have not gotten to the range yet for a trail run with live ammo. The most difficult part was removing the old rivits from the front trunnion, but I did get them out without damaging the barrrel. Drilling all the holes in the receiver for the screws took most of the first day as I did measure each hole even with the template attached. The top and bottom rails are polished and really make for a "slick" action. The magazine well opening is precision cut, and the mags have almost zero wobble. All my mags do fit, but you must start them in straight.

The information for building this rifle was done using the search engine and reading almost all the threads on this Forum. I just wanted to thank all you guys for the help you have given me in completing this project, even though you were not aware of it. My next one is the AMD-63; the kit should arrive today, now I need to order another receiver and then get....................

Thanks again for all the help!
Abwehr

Welcome to the group!!! I hope you will come back often and participate as much as you like. :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Congratulations on finding the board and finishing your first build! I must say that I've asked a lot of questions and I'm still not finished with my first build! Pictures really would be great too! I'm not familiar with the type of receiver you used. Sounds like you made most of the cuts and holes yourself though. When you say your mag well is "precision cut", what do you mean? Did you you some sort of special tool, or just really took your time. I'm currently working on mine, and it is really a PITA. I've filed and filed and filed and still havent' gotten mine to fit yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Receiver Info

A BIG thanks for the welcome guys! I do plan to participate as much as possible, but the information presented in this Forum already was a great help with my build.

The Marsh Hawk receiver I used was a bent blank with the template attached. I checked the location of the holes and cutouts against my Maadi AK I have had for a number of years before trusting it 100%, but he template was right on. The instructional build manual that came with the receiver was great and was a fantastic help. I did have to drill all the holes and make all the cutouts with this blank. As to the "precision cuts" on the mag well, I used a table top milling machine, had the receiver located in the vise and indicated in to within .002 front to rear. I measured all my AK mags and found the that they were all within about .002/.003 so I made the cut so they would be a close fit. When the mag is inserted, it must start in straight, but locks perfectly with no wobble. The lower rails were rough cut on the mill, welded in place, and final fitting with a Dremel tool using the sanding drum. I did take a lot of time hand fitting so it would not be a "rattly" rifle like some of the Century guns we see. After everything fit, I went back, using a buffer with polishing compound, and polished the top & bottom rails where the bolt carrier and bolt ride. The final polishing really made a difference in how smooth the action works. Take a look at Marsh Hawk site at; www.ak-47parts.com

Even with a milling machine to use, the Dremel Tool with the cutoff disc (buy the fiberglass disc, they last a LOT longer), rotary files, and sanding disc were the most used tools. I did take my time and hand fit everyting. The only real boo boo I made was a bad measurement of the front trunnion lower rear hole. I had to egg shape those two holes slightly for the 1/4-28 screw.

This was so much fun I have to build an AMD-63 to got with the AMD-65. This time I plan to try the Vulcan receiver with pilot holes drilled and the lower rails installed. This may be a bad move on my part, but I will give it a try.

Oh yea, I did heat treat the ejector on the left lower rail using Kasenit. I am guessing that it is in the 50 Rc range from the feel of the file. The other item I had to take a lot of time with was fitting the receiver rails to the front trunnion. I used a fine rotary file in the Dremel to get the right fit in the grooves. This was at least an hour to fit.

I look forward to participating!!!!

Abwehr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Abwehr said:
This was so much fun I have to build an AMD-63 to got with the AMD-65. This time I plan to try the Vulcan receiver with pilot holes drilled and the lower rails installed. This may be a bad move on my part, but I will give it a try.

....Abwehr
Abwehr, you'll have to oval the front trunion holes on the Vulcan receiver too. The best bet may be to install the trigger guard then dry fit the front trunion and insert a mag. Then again, with your skills and tools, you probably have a more professional approach.

Welcome....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
I bought an AMD63 from lois at center fire and I know you will enjoy building it as much as your last one.
welcome to the board :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F-Troop said:
Abwehr, you'll have to oval the front trunion holes on the Vulcan receiver too. The best bet may be to install the trigger guard then dry fit the front trunion and insert a mag. Then again, with your skills and tools, you probably have a more professional approach.

Welcome....

Thanks for the Welcome! I really enjoy the hints, tips and overall good communication on this Forum. From reading past postings, I assumed that the Vulcan receiver would have to have the trunnion holes "egg" shaped. Just as you mentioned, I plan to attach the trigger guard, and fit the magazine with the front trunnion to get the exact location of the holes in the receiver. I am a stickler for precision fits even on an AK type weapon.

I sure hope Joeken gets the receviers to me next week as he promised. Of course, I an not holding my breath on this one! LOL I plan to remove the rivits this weekend from the AMD-63 kit I received last Thursday as I feel this is the most difficult part of the build. The AMD-63 kits I recieved are in new condition and all matching. They will make some nice looking rifles. I am not crazy about the light color of the wood, so I plan to put a little "reddish" color stain on the wood and follow up with BLO for the final finish on the wood.

I hope to learn how to post photos and I will get one of the AMD-65 I just completed for you guys to see. At this time, my wife's brother is not expected to live more than a day or two, so as soon as I get the time, I will make some photos.

Abwehr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AMD-63 Kits Arrive

I received two (2) AMD-63 kits the other day and they are spectacular; actually appear new and never fired. One kit is for me and the other is for a friend of mine who I convinced that he NEEDS to build one himself. Since he has never build one, he will be at my house and I will guide him thru the process as I build mine. My friend is good at woodwork, so he will be working on the wood to give them a "warm, reddish color". neither of us like the "blondish" color of the original wood.

Due to a death in the family, preliminay work, until the receivers arrive, has slowed the build a little. I still HATE drilling out the old rivits, but I hope to get this done this weekend.

I ordered bulk quantities of the screws, along with the 8-32 nuts, from McMaster-Carr, and they arrived Friday. This is the way to go if you are going to build more than one rifle. The 8-32 nuts are the "thin" type that are needed for attaching the trigger guard. The nuts were made in Tiawan, but since there are no Grade 8 nuts this size, they will be OK once red Loctite is used.

I will post more information when the Vulcan receivers arrive and I begin the build.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top