Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have the biggest, nicest, and coolest tool box at work. I traded my old tool box in on a like new used tool box from the snap-on man.

I gave $8,500 for the old one I had, and to trade I had to give $1000 plus the old tool box.

The old box I had was a special box that had 57 Chevys on it with terques paint. The box I have now is black with organge trim with Harley-Davidson embloms. The Harley box was over $10,000 when bought new.

The sad part is my tool box cost more than my Sportster. :wave:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I assume you are a professional Mechanic?

You guys sure do have to pay a lot for your tooboxes from Snap-on!

Personally I've never understood how much those big roll-aways cost.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What I can not understand is why mechanics pay tose super highly inflated prices from the Snap-On man..

A guy at a shope here, paid $20,000 for a toolbox???

Why, I pointed out that he could get one excatly the same size from Sears for like $12,000

So what is it about snap-on?? They bring in hookers couple times a month???? I know delivery is nice, but for the price difference I will drive to Sears...

·
Registered
286 Posts
It is something that you cannot really explain unless you've been there and done that. I own a Snappy "taco wagon" myself and it is absolutely stuffed with tools. The price that Strap On charges for a tool box is absolute highway robbery. 10K+ for a damn tool box!!!!!!!!! :scared: absurd! I came into the automotive business with the standard Sears 12 drawer top and bottom and I ran that one until the paint wore off and finally traded up for the taco wagon I own today and you can rest assured I did not spend any 10K for it. It was more like 2500.00 or so and that was by far and away the best deal on a Snappy box I have ever seen. Yes, it was used but just barely. Some things you really need to spend the big bucks on and some things you can shop for online and save yourself a bundle. One example would be in 3/8" drive deep universal (swivel) impact sockets: Snappy wants over 400.00 for the set and you can buy a quality American made set from SK for about 150.00 online. I'll put the SK in my top drawer and use them daily and put the extra 300.00 in my pocket, thank you very much. I could be wrong but I think you would be extremely hard pressed to spend 12K on a box at Sears. Professional tools are very over priced, I have an estimated 30K in just my box and hand tools. When you get into scanners and shop type equipment it goes ballistic fast. The only thing that I can equate it to is guns, tools are addicting and you find yourself spending money on stuff on the truck that you really don't need but you can't live without. I just spent 600.00 on a Jessi James ltd. edition top box and the tools to go in it on the Mac truck. Give me a break, like I need a top box full of black chrome plated and gold engraved tools that you will never use for fear of scratching the finish and a top box with a cool chopper on the front of it? Yeah right :confused:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ohh, I konw tools are addicting, but like you I choose to save money..

The box I am refering to is bigger than my garage, I'm 6'6" and need a step stoll to reach the top bin...and I think it is 15' long or better

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is definitely a lot of tool box. Snappy came by with one a while back they were referring to as the "War Wagon". This thing had a big T handle on it (like a radio flyer wagon does), big fat tires, and a set of hydraulic brakes. You lift up on the handle and it actuates the brakes and brings this beast to a stop. The word was that it was "just like they use in NASCAR". It was pretty darn cool but again they wanted 10k for it, ON SALE! I just have a real difficulty getting past spending more money on a toolbox than I have spent on a lot of the used cars I've owned. Fortunately I own my own shop now so I have a 2500sq. foot tool box that I pay 3k a month for if you know what I mean :D.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snap-On tool boxes are way better by far than a Sears unit. The sheet metal is way thicker, ball bearing slide drawers, heavy duty locking system, and special type keys you can only get from snap-on.

I went to a tool show years ago and they had tool boxes cut up so that you could see inside of them and you can tell the difference buy a long shot.

I use my tools every day to make my money to support my family, because I have used the cheap tool and they just don't hold up to every day use.

I am the dealer mechanic.

Just because a tool box is tall, it does not make it big. My box is tall but it is also very deep. My box stands 6 feet tall, 54 inches wide, and is 29 inches deep. It has two rows of drawer one small and one set wide. It is a two piece set. It is one of the nicest things I own.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
In my prior career, our company had its own private fleet of planes and 2 full time jet mechanics. They bought their own tools and had a fortune invested in Snap-On tools.

In fact, one the mechanics left the company and became as Snap on dealer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is how I make my money and it is a tax write off.

If you work on cars and trucks for a living it is part of the deal. You need tools to work and the more you do the more you make. The right tools help you be faster, better, and more productive.

Most auto tech get paid by the job and not the hour. You make your money by doing more not just being at work like some jobs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've always been a "form follows function" kind of guy, especially where my tools are concerned. Some of the Ltd. edition boxes are nice, but a fancy picture or graphics on the box will not make me any more productive and in time that box is going to get beat to hell and the paint job along with it. Sears does make some nice boxes, heavy duty, all roller ball bearing drawers, and quite a few other things going for them too. But in the end they are what they are, a Sears Craftsman tool box and not a Snappy box. You do need the tools to get the job done, but the tools do not make the man. You do not need to be in the industry long before you take notice of the the guy with every widget do-dad tool that ever came down the pike and this guy can't fix his own lunch let alone fix a car. Then there is the other guy who has a modest set of no B.S. tools that gets them fixed right and gets them fixed fast. You do need the right tools but there is no substitute for sheer ability and experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a ASE Master tech with the L1 Advanced test passed. I am also a Toyota Master Tech and have been working on Cars and light trucks for about 12 professionaly. I have been with Toyota for the last 10 years at the same place. I can and do fix Toyotas with the best of them. I can work on other car but I don't have too, because I am the dealer Machanic for Toyota.

I have a alsome set of tools and I take pride in them and what I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts