1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peace class too radical for some Ball State students

Brent Battle
[email protected]

Never in my two and a half years of college have I heard a group of individuals make an attempt to remove a college course from a university?s curriculum, especially one that promotes peace as the only reasonable solution to a conflict.

From the Web site www.frontpagemag.com, an article titled ?Recruiting for Terror at Ball State,? written by Thomas Ryan, accuses the ?Center for Peace and Conflict Studies? course of helping out the terrorists like those that attacked us on Sept. 11. The Ball State University program established by George Wolfe in 1988 following the Cold War is said to force ?radical ideologies? on students. A student who took the program, Brett Mock, says ?My class, essentially, was designed to discredit any reasons that a military response would be appropriate after 9/11.?

Following the testimony of Mock, corporate-funded interest groups have proposed an ?Academic Bill of Rights? for students who want to be ?graded solely on the basis of their reasoned answers and appropriate knowledge of the subjects and disciplines they study, not on the basis of their political or religious beliefs.?

The Academic Bill of Rights is a good idea for college campuses, but it shouldn?t be put into act to stop classes that teach peace, the only positive aspect to human character.

Mock complained several times about being forced to give answers he didn?t believe had anything to do with a fair perspective on the issues of war and conflict. Wolfe carried the strong belief in his classroom that no solution to conflict makes sense beside peace.

The last sentence of the Front Page Magazine article says the course offered by Wolfe ?is indoctrinating students and recruiting them to agendas that are anti-American, anti-military and friendly to the terrorist enemy intent on destroying us.?

Let?s coalesce in laughter as intelligent, self-aware human beings. First, any group with the label ?peace? in the name is generally going to be opposed to any form of military action. I understand that men who preach the message of peace are treated as ?radicals? and they ?force their ideologies? on others. Jesus and Martin Luther King, Jr. are two prime examples. Peace is the absence of war, just like cold is the absence of heat.

Where do people like Ryan and Mock get off telling the world Wolfe is recruiting for terror because he teaches people peace?

This goes back to the ?You?re either for us or against us? presented to us by our wonderful president. There is no neutrality these days. Essentially, I bet $20 Mock and Ryan view people not fighting terrorism on the front-line as terrorists themselves.

In fact, I?ll be the first to tell you if I had the opportunity to meet the president of the U.S., I would spit in his face because he can?t formulate sentences correctly. Then I would say ?Thanks for nothing,? drop kick his sorry butt and walk away. Does that make me a terrorist? Hell no.

People like Ryan and Mock are given opportunities to write because this is a free country and people enjoy hearing words like ?radical? and ?leftist? when referring to people who criticize the actions of our government. When some read these words on paper next to names like Wolfe, they can?t help but give a bad name to people like him who are consciously making an effort to unite the human race.

Second, no student is forced to take a class at the university they attend. Why aren?t there Native Americans protesting the improper history children are literally forced to learn in elementary school?

I want someone to give me one example of a student who felt indoctrinated by their teacher. If a teacher spits out something you don?t agree with in the first few weeks of classes, we have the freedom to drop the class at any time. If you are a Rastafarian from New Guinea, chances you aren?t going to believe or agree with what you are taught in a college course titled ?How to become a gun toting militia man.? I know many students are shocked to hear the message of evolution in classes like Geology, but it won?t kill us to give the answers our teachers want to hear, especially ones that are ?radical? and close-minded like George Wolfe.

If all else fails, drop the class and go about your life before we ruin something good.

Brent Battle is an opinion columnist for The Daily O?Collegian. He can be reached via e-mail at [email protected].

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recall the Peace Studies stuff come into campuses in the early 70's. They are now a couple generations older but no wiser.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Stupidity just took on a whole new meaning!!!:scared:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts