Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newdow Refiles Pledge Case, Attempts to Halt Inaugural Prayers

Dr. Michael Newdow, the California atheist who sued to get "under God" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance, says he has refiled a suit regarding the pledge and filed an additional suit to try to prevent members of the clergy from praying at President Bush's inauguration.

Newdow refiled the pledge suit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California on Monday (Jan. 3), he told Religion News Service. A court staffer said legal documents had been received but had not been officially recorded pending additional paperwork from Newdow. In the new case, Newdow has been joined in the suit by three families who include atheists and claim they are offended "to have their government and its agents advocating for a religious view they each specifically decry."

Defendants in the case include the Congress, California, the United States and several school districts.

The U.S. Supreme Court determined last June that Newdow did not have standing to bring the legal challenge.

Two weeks before refiling the pledge suit, Newdow filed suit in a Washington district court to try to halt designated clergy from uttering prayers at Bush's Jan. 20 inauguration.

Newdow said in the Dec. 21 filing that prayers such as those offered at the 2001 inauguration by the Rev. Franklin Graham and Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell made him feel like a "second-class citizen."

"He -- like all Americans -- has a right to view his government in action without being forced to confront governmental endorsement of religious dogma with which he disagrees," Newdow said in the complaint, referring to himself.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the case. A court staffer confirmed that a hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 14 at the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Sounds like some good ole boys need to find that guy and give him a lesson on minding his own business like they would have perhaps 50-75 years ago.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
[size=-1]Madeline Murray O'Hare is alive and well.:pissed:
[/size]

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I'll say a prayer for him.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Preacher said:
I'll say a prayer for him.
Very good!

Guys like this give we atheists a bad name. With this and a zillion other things, folks just need to quit being so darned thin-skinned about everything.

Now, if he could get a court order to stop the innaugeration itself, I might be on his side...

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you square your attitude about public funds and so on at the Inaugural with being against giving the Boy Scouts access to public places to meet when all they do is occasionally say :

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

That oath makes them a prohibited "religious' organization.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer, if the Boy Scouts promise to meet on taxpayer-funded premises no more often than once every four years I'll let it go.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Congress having a chaplin and a prayer before every session?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm OK with that, Custer. Wish they didn't do it, but nothing to get in a snit over. Here in Nevada they do that with the state legislature, too.

There's an inherent tension in the First Amendment that, I think, makes completely consistent implementation of it impossible because it contains two opposed elements, each of which needs protection: Freedom to practice your own religion, and freedom from having religion imposed upon you. To the extent that you protect one, you trash the other.

I think we just have to muddle through the best we can and try to exercise some common sense. I do think that the adversarial nature of the American legal system is especially well-suited to dealing with paradoxes like this.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the left likes to pick on certain groups where in their muddled mind they can distort and destroy solid American institutions. So, the minimal religious aspect of Boy Scouts is a great target.

They are willing to ignore money or access given to Black preachers, Muslim groups and other similar acceptable comrades.

The Girl Scouts get away with an optional oath that gives the kid a choice between God or recognizing some higher power. The left makes no atheist issue about this because the GSA is very close to the various women's groups, including planned parenthood.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Actually, I think it's the Boy Scouts' refusal to admit homosexuals to its ranks that puts it on the left's hit list, and the Girl Scouts' more reasonable approach to homosexuality that keeps it off the left's hit list.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh, then why did the ACLU go after the military for letting a religious group use military property?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
So by prayers not being allowed at the Inauguration be a violation of The Presidents 1st Amendment rights?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dunno about that case, Custer. Although there's nothing about targetting the Boy Scouts because of their shabby treatment of homosexuals that rules out going after other groups for First Amendment violations.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, the ACLU military/BSA case is not really about protecting the first amendment. It is merely retaliation.

Jihad by law degree.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Let him find another universe.

Dzerzhinsky said:
There's an inherent tension in the First Amendment that, I think, makes completely consistent implementation of it impossible because it contains two opposed elements, each of which needs protection: Freedom to practice your own religion, and freedom from having religion imposed upon you. To the extent that you protect one, you trash the other.
The First Amendment was adopted into the Constitution to prevent creation of a national religion, or federal government government interference with religions practiced in the States.

No one at the inauguration will be forced to pray, nor to pray to any certain God.

Nudow wants another 15 minutes of fame. He is another self important atheist, who believes himself to be the center of the universe. I say let him find another universe.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
So, the ACLU military/BSA case is not really about protecting the first amendment. It is merely retaliation.

Jihad by law degree.
That's rather over-stating the case, I think, but there's a grain of truth to what you say.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
They need to be exposed as the fakes they are.
Oh, come on, Custer, leave the Boy Scouts alone. They get enough flack from we lefties.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts