Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a bottle of Norrell's moly resin. Since I don't have a sandblasting outfit, I'm just going to clean my new '74 really good and shoot it with a Preval sprayer kit. Anyone ever used this stuff and have any comments/ideas for me?

I read the FAQ on Norrell's site http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp so I'm aware of the basics. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any hard won knowledge from your use of it.

Disconnector

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have used it a couple of times. I followed their directions and used the el cheapo Harbor Freight air brush and it worked just fine. I have used it on an AMD build, one set of FAL furniture, and a bunch of FAL mags. It seems to work very well for me, the AMD has the usual line\scratch where the selector rides on it but otherwise the finish is choice. I do not know if it is the airbrush or my technique or what but I do not seem to get the coverage that they promise out of this stuff. The plastic furniture that I did REALLY soaked this stuff up and I ended up putting on at least 3 coats as I recall. I was using the dark OD green and was very pleased with the color and texture. It was so dark green that you pretty much had to take it out into the sunshine to realize that it was in fact green. Just exactly what I wanted. All of the metal I have done with it I blasted and parkerized first so I do not know how well it will work without it. I have reason to believe though that it will show every nick, scratch, and imperfection on the surface it is sprayed on to. However you end up prepping the surface I would try to make it as uniform as possible. I found that the smoother the surface, the glossier the finish and of course the opposite is true. Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Scubad . . . . . vr

Here is info about the Preval sprayer . . . .

http://www.prevalspraygun.com/home.htm

You can pick them up at Home Depot for $4 or so.

I'm going to scuff up the surface a bit with steel wool . . . . one day I've got to score a nice compressor rig. Just ain't got the cash right now.

Disconnector

1 - 4 of 4 Posts