Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love em, especially at this time of the year. My wife just bought me a big bag of fresh roasted peanuts. Yum!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
And seems like nothing beats Planters nuts. I love their mixed nuts. Planters had some called Seasones Nuts that I use to pick up from Sam's club, but I've not seen 'em for a year or two. They were sooooooooooo good.!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I've never been into roasted peanuts -- I prefer boiled peanuts-----mmmmmmm nice and warm wooooo weeee I take trips out to the flea market just to see the "Peanut Man" and get those nice boiled green peanuts.......

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're just the opposite on peanuts then. When I was stationed down South in Ft Rucker, Alabama and Ft Benning, Georgia, there was little stands all over the place selling boiled peanuts. I just didn't like my peanuts soggy and squishy. And, the shells turned a real dark color, looked like they've been soaked in motor oil. :D Just kidding, I'm glad ya like em that way.... I don't like a lot of things other people like, and some people gag on some of the stuff I eat.

Darn it's cold out in that wind today. :cold: I'd like to be down in some of them Southern states that sell boiled peanuts right now. :D

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
There are still stands all over the south selling boiled peanuts, but I also like them crunchy...Just haven't been able to develop a taste for boiled ones.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
As soon as I get used to these damn dentures perhaps I'll be able to eat roasted peanuts again..........dag nabbit. :grumble:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Boy you can tell I'm a hick, I've never even heard of boiled peanuts before!!

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
Preacher......I grew up in Tennessee and I never heard of 'em either until I was stationed at Fort Rucker, Alabama.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Oh man Preacher--you don't know what you're missing!! I prefer the big green peanuts as opposed to the ones that turn the color of motor oil, as Pogo put it......lol Every year I buy a bushel of peanuts and boil them up myself----I normally do cajun flavored and regular (aka salted) I didn't get any this year, bad peanut year for my supplier and they're too expensive to buy in bushels at the grocery store....

I didn't realize not everyone knew about boiled peanuts--it's not one of the basic food groups huh?! :eek:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Taz38 said:
I didn't realize not everyone knew about boiled peanuts--it's not one of the basic food groups huh?! :eek:
Taz.........the four basic food groups are.....
Nicotine
Caffine
Salt
Fat

:)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Taz38 said:
I run into that with pepperoni rolls. A guy from our area was the one that invented them and a lot of people never heard of 'em.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Preacher said:

No, it means you aren't a hick! :)

The inner skins of raw Peanuts is a mild hallucinogen, maybe thats why they have to be bought at the flea market.

I tried to roast chestnuts back around thanksgiving, but I think i messed up because they were all mushy. Never tried it before, its not like there's chestnut trees 'round here.
We do have filbert trees all over the place though. Often times all you need to do is walk through the woods and fill your pockets and youve got your own MRE right there. Plus filbert leaves make the best impromptu Mountain Money. Nice n soft. :)
PS-Ive heard them called Hazelnuts by people trying to sell them.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Hazelnuts are fairly plentiful here. Have a chesnut tree out in the yard, but my favorite is Hickory nuts. The only bad thing is you have to shell a thousand of 'em to get a handful of goodies.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Ahhhh........poor girl...........I love pecans and pecan pie.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
No, it means you aren't a hick! :)

The inner skins of raw Peanuts is a mild hallucinogen, maybe thats why they have to be bought at the flea market.
They don't have to be bought at a fleamarket--that's just where the best ones I've found are :boxing: and btw, who the heck eats 'em raw anyway? :sick:

DorGunR said:
Taz.........the four basic food groups are.....
Nicotine
Caffine
Salt
Fat

:)
Oh well I can do 3 outta 4--no ciggys for me

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Taz38 said:
who the heck eats 'em raw anyway?

I sure dont. Ive just read that the inner skins (the brown papery filmy part that you find on the roasted ones) of raw peanut contain a chemical similar to psilicybin which is the "fun" part of magic mushrooms. But from what Im told you have to scrape off the skins of something like 5 pounds of raw peanuts then choke down the pasty goo by the spoonful.

Ive never tried it.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
I sure dont. Ive just read that the inner skins (the brown papery filmy part that you find on the roasted ones) of raw peanut contain a chemical similar to psilicybin which is the "fun" part of magic mushrooms. But from what Im told you have to scrape off the skins of something like 5 pounds of raw peanuts then choke down the pasty goo by the spoonful.

Ive never tried it.
Whats scarey is that someone has. :scared:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts