Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Rich,

Thanks to you and your family for hosting this great event! I know that I learned a lot by helping others. I was sorry to leave you and Tanker, but my eyes were going crossed!

I think that I left my red Craftsman vice clamped to one of your work benches in the shop. Take a look for me will ya? I will give you a call later this evening!

It was great to meet this bunch of guys. I really enjoyed talking with Steel Core, DYI, Tanker; everyone really! I think that we got a lot accomplished in the space of time that we had. I came away wanting to make more jigs to make pin pressing safer ,easyer and less time consuming! My little pin pressing aid failed after pressing just one AMD 65 barrel pin! It turned out that the bolt that I used was not heat treated at all. I crushed the aluminium cap a little getting the bent pin out of it.

We also found that the short pin from xebec press kit was pretty soft too. I think our welder "Dew" made a pin out of the broken end of a 1/4" punch. I ground down the end of that piece so that it would fit the pin holding accessory piece, and we used this set up for the rest of the time we pressed barrel pins out.

I was thrilled to help several guys bend flats using the 555th jig. I got a chance to heat treat several ejectors. Dew welded my AMD 65 muzzle thingy to my barrel. I got to use Pinker's rivety jig it to crush the last two of my front trunion rivets. I got to make a couple of spacer tubes! (Thanks hcpookie!) I got to watch as several bottom rails were spot welded in place. I got to help several people crush the trigger guard rivets using the trigger guard rivet jig.

(I took a couple of pictures. I will try and post them on this thread when I find the cable to connect the camera to the computer!)

I was pretty tired by the time I got home but I could not sleep! I had so much fun! I can't wait til I get to finish what I have started!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sounds like a fun time was had by all. I would love to attend one of these gatherings just to take pictures. Maybe someday...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
hay guys just letting you know .. victor has hardened dowel pins in all sizes . page 60 of cat # 2004A
http://www.victornet.com check them out pins are cheap and they are heat treated properly , just a suggestion
they also have the 14mm x 1.00 left die for $19 they can even make a 14mm x 1.00 tap custom made but I do not know the price.
they are a machine tool company ,, I bet you can find other things you cant live without.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get out! They were sold out when I called them. I had to order a 14mm X 1 die from Brownell's. I think that I paid about forty dollars for it, plus seven ninty five for shipping! Boy, oh boy!

I had to get the dang thing so that I could finish a customer's barrel.

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thumb Clip Pull Pin said:
I was sorry to leave you and Tanker, but my eyes were going crossed!
I wasn't too far behind you. I finished up pretty much all I could, and got to the
point where I needed headspace gauges to continue, then decided that it was
time to go, due to the time and my PO'd better half!:wink:
We also found that the short pin from xebec press kit was pretty soft too.
ISTR that it was a pretty crappy pin once we got to examining it, and found that
it was chrome-plated copper/brass construction. No wonder it bent!
I was thrilled to help several guys bend flats using the 555th jig.
Any observations as to whether this one was 'better' or 'worse' than the DPH jig?
I got a chance to heat treat several ejectors.
Yes, that was interesting to get to see, as I'd never had a chance to actually
see it, just read about it.
I got to use Pinker's rivety jig it to crush the last two of my front trunion rivets.
Who made that?
I got to help several people crush the trigger guard rivets using the trigger guard rivet jig.
Who was the maker on that one?

All this is going to get me into trouble, checkbook-wise with my other half once
we move and I have a place for a workshop!:woo: :biggrin:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wrong. I am told that it was a DPH bending jig that I was using. It was great, but it did not produce crisp bottom corners, and the "walls" of the receiver sort of spring outward.

Well, actually "Plinker" made the massive gray painted rivet jig. Do a search here and on the other site. You will find him. I want to make a simplier, less expensive version of that rivet setter out of common materials. (I just need to find the materials and the time!) I also want to make an impoved "trigger bump" die and anvil!

I am not really sure who made the trigger guard rivet jig. It worked pretty well. There needs to be a way to hold the sheet metal receiver/trigger guard/safety stop plate all tightly together, then rivet. Other wise the head of a rivet or two does not pull in really tight to the trigger guard.

On to another subject!

I made a copy of xebec's front trunion pusher to fit my AMD 65 trunion night before last. I had some scrap aluminium scrap laying around so I fired up the band saw, the mill and the lathe and just made one. It is not as pretty as xebec's, but it will do! Now I have to make the barrel/front gas block holder. I'll just have to find some more scrap to make it out of!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thumb Clip Pull Pin said:
Well, actually "Plinker" made the massive gray painted rivet jig.
Would that be "Plinker762"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts