Gunco Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have never reloaded for 45acp before but I have reloaded almost every handgun smaller then it.

I have never run into brass with this issue before.

I have no idea where this brass came from, I know I picked it up either online or at a funshow some time aqo.

All of it is Remington nickle non +p about 500 cases, I would say 10% of it
as soon as it hits the resize die it needs way more force then any handgun brass I have ever resized. About half of the ones that seemed way over sized had a nice dent in them like they ejected way too hard for a handgun. The brass looked as if the swell was only at the top to midway thru the case not at the neck as normal with most brass. In fact the neck seemed not swelled at all.

They had a black ring halfway down inside the case that was not like the cases that sized normally. They had a black ring but way at the top of the case and they felt like every case that I ever reloaded.

I wish I paid more attention when I deprimmed them, but no primmers felt weird or fell out.

I kicked them all off to the side.

Any idea what was going on with them and would you guys think I should just pitch them or just give them a resize?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
They may be high pressure proof loads.. or fired in an oversized chamber.. if resizing them is the issue just lube them with case lube first.. B2B

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I'd run into this only once. I got some 45 brass from a friend that didn't reload and that has a Thompson semi auto and they all did the same thing. I'm thinking a possibly larger chamber in that Thompson,, than in a handgun???? Just my thoughts, but just one incident I've run into before that could possibly be your issue.

You didn't say if you were using a carbide die set or not, so,,,, try some of the spray case lubes that are out there, even if a carbide set, it makes life easier sense it seems that the nickel cases seem to take a harder "set " after being fired in over sized chambers and can lead to some "harder than normal to size" issues. Were they perhaps a crimped primer?? Not likely with a nickle case ,,, but possible. I have seen some of those years ago, but not lately. Just another possibility.

With all the stuff coming out of the closet now days you never know. I've seen some stuff coming to light I haven't seen around for years. Especially WW11 and before guns and lots of older built sporters seem to be popping up allot lately. Reasonably priced too!! Everyone is broke and lots of neat stuff is coming out of the wood work now, from what I've seen in my travels.

I missed a beautiful Mauser 6.5x55 carbine "bring back" a couple weeks ago that was just about as close to perfect/original as you could get. All the matching accessories and no import stamps besides,,,,,I cried!!! I was ,,,Literally,,, 5 minutes late. DOWWWWW!!!!!

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Sure sounds like they're from a semi blowback gun that has a slightly too light bolt. I have a semi thompson and it doesn't do that, but they do have a light bolt for a 45 and I've never shot any nickle plated brass factory rounds out of it as I reload pretty much everything I shoot. If they were hotter than standard loads (nickle plated hangun brass often is) it very well could do what you're describing. There are a few other 45acp blowback carbines and pistols out there. If at a glance they looked normal I wouldn't hezitate to use then, but if they looked like someone tried to blow them up like a balloon like in the pic below, I'd pitch them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
GOOD LORD,,,, IF IT LOOKED LIKE THAT,,,,,, I'd be checking the gun too!!!!! ISSUES!!!

I'm sure that's a 45 case that's been sized with a 41 sizer, by the looks as a demo,,, or at least I hope it is or there's a problem with your Thompson firing out of battery ,,moleman. At least that's what that cartridge looked like to me.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
my semi auto m-60 reising kicks out brass with a nick near the mouth, and are hard to resize, and the chamber tolerance is not tight, and it has a little bolt
like bolt2bounce said if you are not using non carbide dies

my brass has never come out like molemans

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
My thompson is just fine:lol:
The case I posted is a 9mm, but it exhibits the signs of the bolt moving before the chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level due to a light bolt.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Bulged brass is usually caused by firing out of battery.. on a blowback subgun or by a open bolt gun it will fire before it is all the way closed.. as long as it doesn't look like this.. your OK..

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have carbide dies and I did run one with a bit of case lube.
It sized ok just took more pressure then normal.
If I saw any brass that had that buldge in the pic i would'nt even ask that's instant pitch LOL

I will go ahead and size then and see how they come out.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
yep fully resize them, sometimes the bases bulge, some brass is more resistant than others like old WW2 brass. I have a bunch of old canadian 9mm brass it is alway tougher to resize, though i have never used case lube on straight walled cases

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Bulged brass is usually caused by firing out of battery.. on a blowback subgun or by a open bolt gun it will fire before it is all the way closed.. as long as it doesn't look like this.. your OK..

That is a chamber that does not fully support the cartridge

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
That is a chamber that does not fully support the cartridge
It could have also been over loaded, you know a reloader that tried to get that little extra power out of it, or not paying attention and accidently over loaded it.
No I'm not saying B2B did something wrong, just my two cents for the pic.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yeah it's not mine, I picked it up at a range... it's out of a Glock pistol from the primer (striker mark) it was so cool I had to save it.. I have a small collection of mistakes.. some of them are mine some from other people's Screw up.. always interesting to see what people do... Like firing a 5.45X39 in a 762X39 chamber.. a buddy did it.. in a SKS.. interesting result.. B2B

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
old thread I know but...
I found over 450 reloaded 9mm at the range one day, in the trash. I wondered why someone would throw them away. I pulled a few and some had a different (stick) powder in them. So I guess someone had a bad day at the range. I pulled all and threw the powder away. Left the primers in, reloaded them with my powder and now I have over 450 9mm rounds for the price of the powder. Sometimes I get lucky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts